Interchanges converted to at-grade intersections

Started by SkyPesos, April 20, 2021, 11:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Personally, I do think 10K is reasonable, although sadly, NY gives no consideration to widening - even at volumes much higher than 10K. Four-lane divided non-freeways are exceptionally rare in NY and I would love to have more of them, including one or more four-lane routes to Ithaca.

Rochester > Ithaca is a royal pain. Every time I do it, it seems like you're on backroads forever.

OCGuy81

I'm thinking the old Park Freeway in downtown Milwaukee is an example. I remember as a kid it was mostly an elevated freeway and now it's a surface street east of 43.

I don't know what the original section really had in terms of interchanges along it, but I imagine this is an example.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on April 23, 2021, 08:16:20 PM
Personally, I do think 10K is reasonable, although sadly, NY gives no consideration to widening - even at volumes much higher than 10K. Four-lane divided non-freeways are exceptionally rare in NY and I would love to have more of them, including one or more four-lane routes to Ithaca.

Rochester > Ithaca is a royal pain. Every time I do it, it seems like you're on backroads forever.
The 4 lane section isn't that long.  If there was a real need for it, it would have been expanded long ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryA

Quote from: TheStranger on April 22, 2021, 04:49:33 PM
California examples:

- I-280 at 4th Street in San Francisco, originally one offramp off of northbound 280, now a full at-grade intersection of King Street and 4th Street
- Tower Bridge Gateway (former Route 275/former US 40 and 99W) at 5th Street in West Sacramento, formerly a partial diamond interchange, now a full at-grade intersection
- Oxnard Boulevard (former Route 1) at Channel Islands Boulevard in Oxnard, converted to intersection in the early 2000s as part of the move of Route 1 to Rice Avenue corridor (which now has an interchange here)

For the last of those, I think you meant Oxnard Blvd at Pleasant Valley Road -- the Oxnard Blvd / Channel Islands Blvd / Rose Ave intersection has been basically unchanged for decades, while the Oxnard Blvd (CA 1 S) / Pleasant Valley Rd / Rice Ave (now CA 1 N) intersection was greatly modified as part of the CA 1 rerouting.

TheStranger

Quote from: GaryA on April 24, 2021, 05:00:04 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on April 22, 2021, 04:49:33 PM
California examples:

- I-280 at 4th Street in San Francisco, originally one offramp off of northbound 280, now a full at-grade intersection of King Street and 4th Street
- Tower Bridge Gateway (former Route 275/former US 40 and 99W) at 5th Street in West Sacramento, formerly a partial diamond interchange, now a full at-grade intersection
- Oxnard Boulevard (former Route 1) at Channel Islands Boulevard in Oxnard, converted to intersection in the early 2000s as part of the move of Route 1 to Rice Avenue corridor (which now has an interchange here)

For the last of those, I think you meant Oxnard Blvd at Pleasant Valley Road -- the Oxnard Blvd / Channel Islands Blvd / Rose Ave intersection has been basically unchanged for decades, while the Oxnard Blvd (CA 1 S) / Pleasant Valley Rd / Rice Ave (now CA 1 N) intersection was greatly modified as part of the CA 1 rerouting.

Thanks!

Just made the correction.

A couple of other California examples:

- Washington Street at Junipero Serra Boulevard in Daly City, converted back to regular street intersection in the early 1970s to accommodate I-280 now having an offramp from Washington.

- Melrose Avenue at Colorado Boulevard in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, was grade-separated with ramps as part of the original Colorado Freeway project for Route 134/Alternate US 66, before that portion of the Colorado Freeway was revamped when it became part of the Ventura Freeway.  (Interestingly, further east, the interchange with Linda Vista Avenue/former Route 11 still remains to this day!)

Chris Sampang

mgk920

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 23, 2021, 10:12:54 PM
I'm thinking the old Park Freeway in downtown Milwaukee is an example. I remember as a kid it was mostly an elevated freeway and now it's a surface street east of 43.

I don't know what the original section really had in terms of interchanges along it, but I imagine this is an example.

There was a complete interchange around 5th/6th Sts west of the river and then at its temporary end at Broadway east of the river.  The next interchange that was planned to the east was at Prospect/Farwell/Ogden, by the current tram terminal, then it was to curve southward to feed into the Hoan Bridge/I-794 with a street interchange at Clybourn.

The Prospect/Farwell/Ogden interchange would have been the major access to the city's upper east side.

Mike

lepidopteran

Don't forget the PA Turnpike exit at US-13 in Bristol.  The trumpet interchange was recently replaced with a signalized T-intersection (oddly, a loop road was built on part of the old loop-ramp footprint, at surface level, apparently for official use only.)

I've often said that when turnpike construction was in full swing back in the 50s and 60s, there was a tendency to put a trumpet ramp on the local road even if it really wasn't needed.

OCGuy81

Quote from: mgk920 on April 25, 2021, 05:26:19 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 23, 2021, 10:12:54 PM

There was a complete interchange around 5th/6th Sts west of the river and then at its temporary end at Broadway east of the river.  The next interchange that was planned to the east was at Prospect/Farwell/Ogden, by the current tram terminal, then it was to curve southward to feed into the Hoan Bridge/I-794 with a street interchange at Clybourn.

The Prospect/Farwell/Ogden interchange would have been the major access to the city's upper east side.

Mike

I don't remember much about the Park Freeway living in SE Wisconsin as a kid, but a friend of mine who lives on Milwaukee's east side, said the demolition of it really spruced that area up. 

Ned Weasel

Quote from: lepidopteran on April 26, 2021, 12:04:26 AM
Don't forget the PA Turnpike exit at US-13 in Bristol.  The trumpet interchange was recently replaced with a signalized T-intersection (oddly, a loop road was built on part of the old loop-ramp footprint, at surface level, apparently for official use only.)

I've often said that when turnpike construction was in full swing back in the 50s and 60s, there was a tendency to put a trumpet ramp on the local road even if it really wasn't needed.

Kansas Turnpike Interchange 177 did a similar thing, where it used to have a trumpet connecting to Topeka Boulevard, but it was later replaced with a signalized intersection.  In that case, it seems justified, for the sake of connecting Kansas Avenue to Topeka Boulevard and the Turnpike without building a larger interchange.  Location: https://goo.gl/maps/nQirmMB2UUe1dajK7

A few other local ones, besides the one I mentioned earlier in the thread:

K-7 and Santa Fe Street/135th Street: https://goo.gl/maps/HEd2YkgXeDcs3Vne6

Johnson Drive and Roe Avenue, part of a larger interchange: https://goo.gl/maps/sCrxtu1XyWB1A8xD8

Half-interchange at Roe Avenue and Skyline Drive/48th Street (they might have even moved the whole cross-street for this one): https://goo.gl/maps/jYBk7NNGV4eNY3Uv8

Turner Diagonal and Riverview Avenue (fairly recent): https://goo.gl/maps/TToWZq1EBHoqMwKYA

Turner Diagonal and State Avenue, converted from three-way interchange to four-way intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/YwzTkXkdzgVmy3Lf7

Why do I feel like I'm missing one somewhere else that's local to me?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.