News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What do you like on your Subway sandwich?

Started by Ned Weasel, May 05, 2021, 05:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

dlsterner

Quote from: dlsterner on May 05, 2021, 09:29:10 PM
On my Subway sandwich?  Somebody else's hands ... and my money back in mine.

So I can go to a nearby Quizno's, Firehouse, Potbelly, Jersey Mike's, etc so I can get a sub that actually tastes good.

Also used to have a Jimmy John's near my workplace.  Their subs were OK (better than Subway, not quite as good as the ones mentioned above), but I wasn't fond of how the roll always seemed chilled, as if they took it out of the fridge right before making my sub.  They've since moved out; a Charley's Philly Steaks is now there.

No more Quizno's left that are close enough to go to.  I rotate among the others, but I currently prefer Potbelly and Firehouse - for their toasted options and for having Coca-Cola Freestyle machines.

Scott5114

Odd quirk of mine–sub shops are the only place that I don't avail myself of the combo meal, so no chips and a drink. Most of the time I take it home and get a drink from the fridge, or, if I am eating out, will drink water. I guess most subs are filling enough that I don't find the need to have a side with them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

I don't eat Subway if I can avoid it. I'd rather eat at Firehouse.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2021, 08:55:56 PM
Odd quirk of mine–sub shops are the only place that I don't avail myself of the combo meal, so no chips and a drink. Most of the time I take it home and get a drink from the fridge, or, if I am eating out, will drink water. I guess most subs are filling enough that I don't find the need to have a side with them.

Or could it just be that fries > potato chips?

Scott5114

Well, there's that too. Also it's kind of weird to be offered the same potato chips in a bag that I can get at the grocery store as a side item. I can probably get a bag of Lay's at the store for cheaper than Subway would sell it to me for, anyway.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 06, 2021, 10:38:35 PM
Well, there's that too. Also it's kind of weird to be offered the same potato chips in a bag that I can get at the grocery store as a side item. I can probably get a bag of Lay's at the store for cheaper than Subway would sell it to me for, anyway.

Yep! Walmart will sell you 2 individual bags of Lays products for 98 cents.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 06, 2021, 10:42:50 PM

Yep! Walmart will sell you 2 individual bags of Lays products for 98 cents.

You can also get a hoagie and soda in the store too for cheaper as well.

Scott5114

Grocery-store hoagies are usually actually worse than Subway. I eat them, but I'd rather have a hot, freshly-assembled one from Subway than one that's been sitting in a clamshell in Walmart for a day or two.

Ned Weasel

Yeah, that's the one thing I never "got" about Subway.  I'd rather have a foot-long sandwich and no sides, than a six-inch sandwich and a tiny bag of the same chips I can get anywhere.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

US71

I don't eat Subway if I can avoid it. I much prefer Firehouse.

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on July 12, 2021, 01:24:09 AM
Firehouse is fine, but I prefer Jersey Mike's.

US71

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 12, 2021, 01:58:56 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 12, 2021, 01:24:09 AM
Firehouse is fine, but I prefer Jersey Mike's.

Never tried them. Don't have any here.

hbelkins

I'm not a fan of Subway, or cold-cut sub sandwiches from restaurants in general. I don't like veggies or dressings; I'm a meat and cheese guy. (It's why I prefer Sheetz to Wawa, since Sheetz has a much more varied menu). I can eat a ham or turkey sandwich at home anytime.

I will make an exception for the meatball sub, but they're too messy to try to eat on the road. So I avoid sub places for the most part.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2021, 11:11:55 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 06, 2021, 11:11:10 AM
My favorite thing on a Subway sub would be a coupon for Jimmy John's.

That binds me up, I'm on the john for an hour if I eat a coupon.

It's all that fiber .

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2021, 11:41:28 AM
I will make an exception for the meatball sub, but they're too messy to try to eat on the road.

I ate one while traveling over the Straits of Mackinac.

Fortunately, it was a hitchhiking trip, so I was the passenger!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Flint1979

Yeah for chain it's probably the best one I would think it's better than Jimmy John's I think too. Jimmy John's is okay but if there's a Jersey Mike's nearby I'll go to Jersey Mike's first.

DiBella's Subs which is originally out of Rochester, New York is pretty good too.

US71

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 12, 2021, 04:18:06 PM
Yeah for chain it's probably the best one I would think it's better than Jimmy John's I think too. Jimmy John's is okay but if there's a Jersey Mike's nearby I'll go to Jersey Mike's first.

DiBella's Subs which is originally out of Rochester, New York is pretty good too.

I've not been impressed with Jimmy John's.  The last time I ate at one was a little bit of meat, a little cheese, lots of rabbit food.  Firehouse is the best I've found in my area.

TheHighwayMan3561

Subway has taken a sharp turn away from presenting itself as the health food oasis that they used to advertise as their image; now they would love to load up your sandwich with extra meat and melty, gooey cheese.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 20, 2021, 02:20:27 AM
Subway has taken a sharp turn away from presenting itself as the health food oasis that they used to advertise as their image; now they would love to load up your sandwich with extra meat and melty, gooey cheese.
Any reminder of Jared is probably good to avoid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Rothman on July 20, 2021, 06:56:05 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 20, 2021, 02:20:27 AM
Any reminder of Jared is probably good to avoid.

I think that shift started even before his, er, "departure" - IIRC, the original $5 footlong campaign was the beginning of it.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Henry

Meh; Subway certainly hasn't been the same since its heyday in the 90s and 2000s. But it was the Jared scandal that completely pushed me over the edge.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.