National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

2021 Wilmington, DE Road Meet - 7/17/21

<< < (14/15) > >>

Hot Rod Hootenanny:

--- Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2021, 08:56:34 PM ---I think Google does a particularly bad job forecasting travel times around the DC area; it took me significantly longer to move though the first half of my trip as a result (the second half through PA and NY went as predicted)  I had a similar issue with my Florida trip three years ago, where the day that went through DC went long by a larger amount than the other days

--- End quote ---

That's why it is called a forecast.
I drove from Christiana Mall to the North toll booth of the Ches. Bridge & Tunnels earlier today. For my route, Google had the trip at 8 hours, while my 2015 Delormes Map program had the trip taking 10 hours. I got it done in 9 hours. I'm not sending complaints to Google over this.

SSOWorld:
As long as you donít get traffic forecasts from PennDOT ;)

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 19, 2021, 11:07:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2021, 08:56:34 PM ---I think Google does a particularly bad job forecasting travel times around the DC area; it took me significantly longer to move though the first half of my trip as a result (the second half through PA and NY went as predicted)  I had a similar issue with my Florida trip three years ago, where the day that went through DC went long by a larger amount than the other days

--- End quote ---

That's why it is called a forecast.
I drove from Christiana Mall to the North toll booth of the Ches. Bridge & Tunnels earlier today. For my route, Google had the trip at 8 hours, while my 2015 Delormes Map program had the trip taking 10 hours. I got it done in 9 hours. I'm not sending complaints to Google over this.

--- End quote ---
Well, I've found that using a live time taking for a trip on the same day of week/approximate time as when I plan to take it is nearly always very accurate, practically to the minute (note that I drive 5-7 over the limit, so if one drives exactly the speed limit, they'll take longer than Google says).  The only time this has not happened the vast majority of the time is along the NEC for some reason.  Is congestion in DE/MD just not as predictable than the rest of the country for some reason?  Because normally summer traffic is recurring, predictable, and already accounted for in the drive time.  This is why I use the directions in the first place (it's certainly not for routing, which I've already figured out for the most part) - to get drive time estimates.  I ended up missing the news when I got back to NY because of this (and I couldn't enjoy a MTO lunch at Sheetz and had to settle for a cold pre-prepared sandwich too, which was unfortunate, but I didn't want to wait longer when I was trying to make up time and the place was swamped), and was a few minutes late to the meet as well.  Back in my 2018 Florida drive, I didn't even get to eat dinner that day and had to cut out my planned clinch of I-295 in VA (which I STILL don't have and am unhappy about) because of that.  So yeah, it's a problem.  If I ever decide to go exactly the speed limit rather than 5-7 over, I have no idea what I'll do, as Google doesn't have an option to cap travel speed at the speed limit.

roadwaywiz95:
This was mentioned briefly above, but one of our attendees (Ian) put together this fantastic summary video of the day's drive for his YouTube channel ("Roadways of Delaware"). Feel free to check it out here:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=is1MMZS_ZaQ

PHLBOS:

--- Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2021, 08:56:34 PM ---Yes, it was a great meet - my only constructive criticism is that it could have been a bit more organized when getting into cars (the system where the drivers stand off to one side and people line up behind them seems to work well for large groups); it felt like in school where the teacher assigns a group project, people just glance each other, and suddenly everyone has formed groups before one even has a chance to ask (I had some thoughts before the meet, but nothing firm enough to not be affected by how things shake out).  Other than that, excellent meet!  It was wonderful to do a regular overnight roadmeet again for the first time since 2019.
--- End quote ---
I echo those sentiments.  That said, I believe nearly everybody in attendance gave RoadwayWIZ some slack for the following reasons:

1.  Although he's hosted virtual/video meets (where there was only one, maybe two vehicles involved at the most) in the recent past; this was his first time hosting a conventional meet that featured a high turnout and related-number of vehicles.  IMHO, after the second or third stop; things started to flow more smoothly.

2.  Learning curve issue associated with #1 aside; the fact that many either hadn't seen each-other in about 2 years or just met for the first time certainly contributed to the transitionally-impaired factor at times.

As others have stated, the meet was well attended & received.  For those that attended the game; at least the major deluge held off until after the game ended.

Kudos to RoadwayWIZ for planning & hosting it.

Side bar: I believe there were as many as 5 females in attendance at this meet.  Is such a record?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version