News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: edwaleni on March 02, 2021, 10:23:30 AM
TennDOT project list for highways in Region 4:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-4.html

You won't find a priority list for specific items, at least not on this website that I can find.

Since priorities are very political, they tend to not publish them. If anyone can find a specific list of needs by priority, please post.

Unfortunately that page is way out of date, it hasn't been updated in at least 5 years going by the I-69 segment 7 info

Ryctor2018

BigRigSteve made a trip on Jun 3, 2021 from Tennessee to Indiana for a delivery. The funny thing is most of his route follows I-69/future I-69 from Covington, TN to the Evansville area, so you can ride along with him on the trip to see how the route would work as a completed Interstate from Memphis to points north. Some things I noticed as I skipped thru the video:

Around the 4:07:00 mark is the south interchange with future I-69/US-51 in Union City. The interchange looks complete as Steve drives through it. All that is needed are signage it looks like.

At about the 4:22:00 mark is the north interchange with future I-69/US-51 near South Fulton. You can see the piers and interchange work in the picture, off to the northwest (left in the video) driving up US-51/US-45W.

A little bit later, Steve crosses into Kentucky. Nothing has happened yet at this location. Neither has work began at the Wingo interchange on the Purchase Pkwy at Exit 14. I read somewhere work was supposed to start this year, so maybe later in the year, or maybe next year.

I also saw online that more signage would be added to the US-45 Bypass exit (Exit 21) on I-69. It seems motorist were following old maps or GPS routes, but KYTC changed the geometry of this interchange so people were getting lost.

I'll skim the rest of the video as Steve drives north (I think he was making a delivery in Bloomington or near Indianapolis), so he may drive thru the I-69 Section 6 construction). I may post in the Midwest forum for that. I do plan to drive down to the Memphis area from Chicagoland, so I may take a peek around Union City. I'll snap some pics if I can.

Sorry, forgot to added the link to BigRigTravels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8bETXsno2A&t=22575s
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

edwaleni

For those of you who don't want to see the entire trip, but just where US-51 meets the construction of I-69 outside Union City, you can go to this link:

https://youtu.be/U8bETXsno2A?t=14803

Honestly, from Dyersburg to south of Troy, the road is interstate standards. It's when you get to Troy and to Union City, it falls back to 1960's style with local access.

If you don't want to see his driving through Union City, you can pick up the construction on the north side of town here:

https://youtu.be/U8bETXsno2A?t=15694

You will see earthworks in progress including several pylons being poured or set up.

ilpt4u

Watched the thru Union City part. Are more trucks using the US 51/Future I-69 route, with the I-40 bridge closure, I wonder? Stay on the east side of the Mississippi to get to Memphis?

ITB

Didn't see this mentioned yet. The paving contract for Section 3 of SIU 7 in Obion County was let May 7, 2021, and was awarded to Ford Construction on a bid of $31,959,341.07. The project length is 6.420 miles, with a stipulated completion time on or before June 15, 2023.

The bid results of the May 7 lettings can be found here, and the summary of the paving contract here.

On April 27, 2021, TDOT released its proposed Comprehensive Multimodal Program for FY 2022—2024. That document can be found here. There are no I-69 projects listed.

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 06, 2021, 02:34:16 PM
Watched the thru Union City part. Are more trucks using the US 51/Future I-69 route, with the I-40 bridge closure, I wonder? Stay on the east side of the Mississippi to get to Memphis?

That is a good point. I did notice a large number of trucks using US-51 in this video.

I always say I-69 can provide resiliency, well here is the perfect example.

A major bridge goes out and commerce has to retask their routes.

sparker

Quote from: edwaleni on June 06, 2021, 05:34:42 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on June 06, 2021, 02:34:16 PM

That is a good point. I did notice a large number of trucks using US-51 in this video.

I always say I-69 can provide resiliency, well here is the perfect example.

A major bridge goes out and commerce has to retask their routes.

I ended up watching most of the video; a sizeable number of trucks heading north on US 51 seemed to be heading to WB I-155 as per the Dyersburg portion; best guess is a lot of Memphis-originating commercial traffic decided to head for northward I-55 that way to avoid congestion on the M & A bridge during the I-40 shutdown.  Good video -- liked seeing the portion of I-69 over the former Kentucky Parkways, including the new direct transition at Nortonville.   

Avalanchez71

So how was the truck traffic along here?  Was the road clogged?

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 07, 2021, 01:48:46 PM
Through all the towns and the stop-and-go, traffic lights, turning left to continue on the route, etc., yes, yes it was.

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 07, 2021, 01:57:51 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 07, 2021, 01:48:46 PM
Through all the towns and the stop-and-go, traffic lights, turning left to continue on the route, etc., yes, yes it was.

It was particularly clogged through Dyersburg; driver Steve chose the "path of least resistance" and left the US 51 original bypass (by now morphed into a commercial artery) along TN 78 to get to I-155.  That movement was quite packed; both left turn lanes were filled up (not much of a change since I came through here in the '90's).  But except for the fact that the signals weren't terribly well coordinated, it looked to be more annoying than problematic.  The worst "jam" on the whole trip was on the approach to the US 41 Ohio River bridge at Henderson, KY, caused by a broken-down tour bus blocking the right lane.   All in all a relatively smooth trip (but his website mentioned delivery issues the next day, which probably negated the relatively smooth drive!). 

Ryctor2018

Quote from: ITB on June 06, 2021, 03:56:06 PM

Didn't see this mentioned yet. The paving contract for Section 3 of SIU 7 in Obion County was let May 7, 2021, and was awarded to Ford Construction on a bid of $31,959,341.07. The project length is 6.420 miles, with a stipulated completion time on or before June 15, 2023.

The bid results of the May 7 lettings can be found here, and the summary of the paving contract here.

On April 27, 2021, TDOT released its proposed Comprehensive Multimodal Program for FY 2022—2024. That document can be found here. There are no I-69 projects listed.

The satellite images are dated in this area. I wonder how far south of the future I-69/US-51 south interchange is the freeway graded. Most of the by-pass needs paving as the other construction was completed earlier. The Troy, TN bypass is not long. But if this in not in the new lettings, then completing I-69 in northern Tenn will have the can kicked further down the road.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

ITB

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on June 07, 2021, 07:47:55 PM
Quote from: ITB on June 06, 2021, 03:56:06 PM

On April 27, 2021, TDOT released its proposed Comprehensive Multimodal Program for FY 2022–2024. That document can be found here. There are no I-69 projects listed.

The satellite images are dated in this area. I wonder how far south of the future I-69/US-51 south interchange is the freeway graded. Most of the by-pass needs paving as the other construction was completed earlier. The Troy, TN bypass is not long. But if this in not in the new lettings, then completing I-69 in northern Tenn will have the can kicked further down the road.

Basically, the small amount of grading and earth work completed south of the future I-69/US 51 south interchange is for the interchange itself, plus a little stub. That is the point where Section 3 begins, and Section 2 ends. At this time, no construction work has been undertaken on either Section 2 or Section 1, which make up the Troy Bypass. Both sections are in limbo, awaiting funds to move forward. Nothing pertaining to either section is found listed in TDOT's Comprehensive Multimodal Program for FY 2022–2024, which was released April 27, 2021. So it's probably going to be 2025 at the earliest before anything happens. This may change, however, if the infrastructure bill is passed in Washington, providing a significant infusion of funds to Tennessee and TDOT.

With the letting of the paving contract for Section 3, construction of the Union City bypass, comprised of Sections 3 and 4, is scheduled to complete by June 15, 2023. As for Section 5, which runs from the Union City bypass to the state line at Fulton, Kentucky, preliminary engineering is underway. However, no construction timeline has been released for that section, and it, too, was not mentioned in the Comprehensive Multimodal Program for FY 2022–2024.

Section 5 likely will be the next section constructed, followed by Sections 2 and 1. The timeline of these projects will depend largely on what happens in Washington with the infrastructure bill.

Edit: spelling and grammar

triplemultiplex

I got some material from TNDOT at work and for the first time it include a shapefile object for I-69 in Obion County:

Decidedly not open yet and I find it sadly hilarious it doesn't even include the entire portion that has been under construction for like 12 years now. 

It is so frustrating to see this one project drag on for so goddamn long in a state that generally keeps pretty good care of its roads.  They might be congested as shit, but at least they are smooth.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sparker

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 09, 2021, 10:28:00 PM
I got some material from TNDOT at work and for the first time it include a shapefile object for I-69 in Obion County:

Decidedly not open yet and I find it sadly hilarious it doesn't even include the entire portion that has been under construction for like 12 years now. 

It is so frustrating to see this one project drag on for so goddamn long in a state that generally keeps pretty good care of its roads.  They might be congested as shit, but at least they are smooth.

Something tells me TNDOT and its legislative/administrative handlers just doesn't give a shit about the I-69 corridor; likely viewed as something foisted upon them by out-of-state congressional delegations (specifically IN & TX).  Added to that the fact that the major city served here is Memphis, seemingly forever out of favor with the crowd running things in Nashville, and there's a ready-made recipe for procrastination, can-down-road kicking, and just plain malignant ignorance.  Aside from a few construction sites up on US 51, the only thing the corridor has to show in terms of recent activity is the tiny section of I-269 from TN 385 to the MS state line (OK, and the posting of I-269 signage north to I-40; big whoop!).  All that does is let truck traffic do what Nashville has done for decades and avoid dealing with Memphis!  OK, I'll be the first to concede that TN roads are in better than average condition, including the Interstates, just about all of which (with the possible exception of I-26) host gobs of commercial truck traffic; so maybe maintenance has been prioritized over new construction.  But really -- the above post may be hitting the nail on the head, and TNDOT is willing to take a decidedly "leisurely" approach to their sole new Interstate corridor -- or maybe the folks in Nashville just want to make sure that traffic from Memphis northeast continues to employ the 40/65 corridor, benefiting on-road business in their greater metro area.  But regardless of the rationale at work here, there doesn't seem to be an opening for picking up the pace, as championing I-69 appears to be a thankless task within this state.       

Avalanchez71

The political climate is cold to I-69.  There doesn't seem to be much excitement to the corridor.  The powers to be want tourism and commerce and they don't see I-69 as a catalyst.

hbelkins

I never really understood the TN 22 freeway and why it needed to be built to interstate standards.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sprjus4

Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2021, 11:35:40 AM
I never really understood the TN 22 freeway and why it needed to be built to interstate standards.
Likely had some political motivation, as opposed to traditional four lane widening on existing alignment or relocation on new alignment but with intersections, either that, or some sort of safety concern.

A segment of US-13 and NC-11 between Winton and Ahoskie, NC is being proposed to be relocated on new alignment, and built to full interstate standards as opposed to at-grade for safety reasons, though of course, that could just be the excuse to get the freeway. US-13 to the north and NC-11 to the south of the project are merely being proposed / recently built as widened non-limited-access divided highways.

IMO, the traffic volumes on that segment of US-13 / NC-11 and that routes' main usage as a corridor connecting towns as opposed to major cities, don't necessarily warrant a full freeway design.

sparker

On one of my previous trips to the area I got into a conversation with someone about that very route; that person thought that it had something to do with the UT branch at Martin and a push by university backers for a safer route to Union City and US 51.  But he also had heard that there was at one time a push to reconstruct all of TN 22 to expressway and/or freeway standards all the way down to I-40.  Seeing as how that stretch is now a divided highway, I'd venture that there would be some measure of truth to each of those theories. 

Avalanchez71

Quote from: sparker on June 10, 2021, 04:00:03 PM

On one of my previous trips to the area I got into a conversation with someone about that very route; that person thought that it had something to do with the UT branch at Martin and a push by university backers for a safer route to Union City and US 51.  But he also had heard that there was at one time a push to reconstruct all of TN 22 to expressway and/or freeway standards all the way down to I-40.  Seeing as how that stretch is now a divided highway, I'd venture that there would be some measure of truth to each of those theories.

Former TN Governor Ned Ray McWherter(D) wanted a nice highway built from his place to Nashville.  He used the auspices of UTM as a scapegoat to get it done. 

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 10, 2021, 04:04:55 PM

Former TN Governor Ned Ray McWherter(D) wanted a nice highway built from his place to Nashville.  He used the auspices of UTM as a scapegoat to get it done. 

OK, fine.....I guess.  I don't live there, so specific behind-the-scenes internal TN machinations aren't in my wheelhouse. 

sprjus4

But it was only built as a freeway out to Martin. The remainder is only a four lane divided highway, which IMO, is appropriate for connecting those towns into the interstate system. TN-22 doesn't take on the role of connecting any major cities.

edwaleni

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 10, 2021, 04:53:07 PM

But it was only built as a freeway out to Martin. The remainder is only a four lane divided highway, which IMO, is appropriate for connecting those towns into the interstate system. TN-22 doesn't take on the role of connecting any major cities.

Not to veer too far onto the shoulder, but TnDOT will be making changes to TN-22/TN-21 because its the main drag to the new Port of Cates Landing on the Mississippi. They will want to tie the port to I-69 for the trucks. They are currently providing funding to get 1 or 2 railroads to service the port.

sparker

I'll bet the freeway section was built precisely for the reasons my source cited (UTM issues).  As far as the remainder is concerned -- out of curiosity I just did a GE scan of the route down to I-40, and if former Gov. McWherter's idea of a "nice road" from Union City/Martin to the fastest way to get to Nashville, I-40, is mostly a 5-lane facility interspersed with sections of twinned original highway (likely configured to maintain full private access), then he got his wish.  Probably more than adequate for the traffic base served.

Quote from: edwaleni on June 10, 2021, 05:22:29 PM
Not to veer too far onto the shoulder, but TnDOT will be making changes to TN-22/TN-21 because its the main drag to the new Port of Cates Landing on the Mississippi. They will want to tie the port to I-69 for the trucks. They are currently providing funding to get 1 or 2 railroads to service the port.

If the object of the upgrades described above (TN 21/22) is to connect the river port with I-69, that certainly doesn't involve the freeway or multilane sections of TN 22 east of 69; those would be confined to the west of the Interstate construction, and would likely involve at most a new interchange or a revision of existing plans. 

mvak36

For those people not already near either Memphis or Nashville, it seems like a good (mostly 4 lane up till Kentucky) route if someone wanted to get to I-57 from I-40. (TN-22/US-45E/US51).
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on June 10, 2021, 05:33:11 PM

For those people not already near either Memphis or Nashville, it seems like a good (mostly 4-lane) route if someone wanted to get to I-57 from I-40. (TN-22/US-45E/US51).

The only major population base between Memphis and Nashville is Jackson; traffic from there looking to access I-57 (at least the present segment) would likely either use a direct shot north via US 45E and 51 once in KY, or, if an all-expressway/freeway route were sought, a US 412/I-155/I-55 route to Sikeston, MO.  Only residents of that sliver of land flanking the Tennessee River would likely use TN 22 for that purpose; west of there, the routings cited above would be more efficient; east of there, going up to I-24 northwest of Nashville would be the most efficient way to I-57 in IL.  In reality, it's unlikely there's much call for access from the area in question to a specific route farther north (unless someone there has an unrequited hankering for a Chicago "dog" replete with celery salt and hot peppers -- or is a die-hard fan of the Cubs or Da Bearz!). :) 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.