News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 07, 2021, 06:34:06 PM
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2021/04/06/indianapolis-traffic-i-465-variable-speed-limits-planned-indot/6552584002/

Variable Speed Limits on I-465.

SM-G950U

Stupid. Flat out stupid. If they want variable speed limit signs, at least use them right (i.e., raise the speed limit up to 70 and only drop it back down to 65, 60, or 55 when necessary).

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

sprjus4

When Georgia introduced variable limits on the I-285 beltway, didn't they also raise the speed limit from 55 mph to 65 mph?

I think the variable limits here aren't going to have a positive effect unless they allow the free-flow speed to reflect actual traffic flow, so when there's little congestion, it will increase to 65 mph. Atlanta got that right.

70 mph may be ideal for the I-465 beltway, but realistically speaking, it should definitely be at least 65 mph.

nwi_navigator_1181

Where do I begin? Quite a bit of action in Northwest Indiana.

A series of bridge repairs and overlays are in progress or are set to begin. The main crunch points include:

I-80/94 at Indianapolis Boulevard in Hammond (ramps and mainline: as of this writing, all westbound entrance ramps are closed; use Calumet or Cline Avenue as a detour)

I-65 over the ramp to I-80/94 west in Gary (as a result, the slip ramp allowing traffic from Ridge Road to access the I-80/94 west ramp is closed)

Indiana 249 at I-94 in Portage (overnight ramp closures will be likely this week; only one lane will get by in each direction of Indiana 249 at all times, which will result in delays during peak times)

113th Avenue over I-65 in Crown Point

US 20 between Johnson Road and the Indiana 212/US 35 interchange in Michigan City

Cline Avenue between Airport Road (former Industrial Highway) and US 20 in Gary

US 30 over Indiana 49 in Valparaiso (with ramp closures)

Laporte County Road 800 North over I-94 (located between the US 20/35 interchange and the Michigan State Line)

All projects are set to be completed by mid to late summer.

Utility work continues on US 12 and 20 in Gary in preparation for the major realignment project set to begin in June. Work has shifted to the soon-to-be-former US 12 to install new utility lines, accommodating future installation of the second track along the South Shore Line. In June, US 12 will be permanently closed from the current split to just east of Lake Street, where the new split will be located and US 12 will rejoin its current path just before the CSX and Old Hobart Road bridges. All of this work should conclude in the fall.

Indiana 149 is currently closed at Lenburg Road because of intersection improvements. When finished, the cramped intersection (with no turn lanes or runarounds, resulting in frequent backups) will include turn lanes and flashing yellow arrows. This was scheduled to be completed last fall, but was delayed due to utility relocation issues. Indiana 149 will be reopened in late June; the official detour involves US 20, Indiana 49, and US 6 (though you can take I-94 from US 20 to 49 and back if you prefer).

US 231 between Broadway and I-65 in Crown Point will be undergoing resurfacing this week. At times, only one lane will be able to go by. This work will last through the summer.

Finally, INDOT will be seeking input on a future project involving the infamous section of US 20 between Indiana 39 and Fail Road in Laporte County. The proposed plan would involve installation of a center left turn lane between those two points, in a continued effort to improve safety in the accident-prone area. No timetable has yet been set for this project.

That was quite a bit to unpack. As more develops, I'll keep you all posted.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 25, 2021, 05:45:57 PM
Finally, INDOT will be seeking input on a future project involving the infamous section of US 20 between Indiana 39 and Fail Road in Laporte County. The proposed plan would involve installation of a center left turn lane between those two points, in a continued effort to improve safety in the accident-prone area. No timetable has yet been set for this project.

I make frequent trips to South Bend/Elkhart/Goshen and this is part of the route I usually take. This section definitely needs left turn lanes.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 25, 2021, 05:45:57 PM
Where do I begin? Quite a bit of action in Northwest Indiana.

A series of bridge repairs and overlays are in progress or are set to begin. The main crunch points include:

I-80/94 at Indianapolis Boulevard in Hammond (ramps and mainline: as of this writing, all westbound entrance ramps are closed; use Calumet or Cline Avenue as a detour)

I-65 over the ramp to I-80/94 west in Gary (as a result, the slip ramp allowing traffic from Ridge Road to access the I-80/94 west ramp is closed)

Indiana 249 at I-94 in Portage (overnight ramp closures will be likely this week; only one lane will get by in each direction of Indiana 249 at all times, which will result in delays during peak times)

113th Avenue over I-65 in Crown Point

US 20 between Johnson Road and the Indiana 212/US 35 interchange in Michigan City

Cline Avenue between Airport Road (former Industrial Highway) and US 20 in Gary

US 30 over Indiana 49 in Valparaiso (with ramp closures)

Laporte County Road 800 North over I-94 (located between the US 20/35 interchange and the Michigan State Line)

All projects are set to be completed by mid to late summer.

Utility work continues on US 12 and 20 in Gary in preparation for the major realignment project set to begin in June. Work has shifted to the soon-to-be-former US 12 to install new utility lines, accommodating future installation of the second track along the South Shore Line. In June, US 12 will be permanently closed from the current split to just east of Lake Street, where the new split will be located and US 12 will rejoin its current path just before the CSX and Old Hobart Road bridges. All of this work should conclude in the fall.

Indiana 149 is currently closed at Lenburg Road because of intersection improvements. When finished, the cramped intersection (with no turn lanes or runarounds, resulting in frequent backups) will include turn lanes and flashing yellow arrows. This was scheduled to be completed last fall, but was delayed due to utility relocation issues. Indiana 149 will be reopened in late June; the official detour involves US 20, Indiana 49, and US 6 (though you can take I-94 from US 20 to 49 and back if you prefer).

US 231 between Broadway and I-65 in Crown Point will be undergoing resurfacing this week. At times, only one lane will be able to go by. This work will last through the summer.

That was quite a bit to unpack. As more develops, I'll keep you all posted.

In my hometown of La Porte, INDOT is currently doing some repaving on Lincolnway as well as some sidewalk ramp improvements. At the same time, they are going out and doing some "Traffic Signal Modernizations" within the city of La Porte.

Some of the intersections have been upgraded to include an FYA, and those intersections are:
-Boyd Boulevard at SR 4 (Monroe Street): all left-turning legs got upgraded to an FYA
-Weller/Truesdell Ave at US 35/SR 39 (Pine Lake Avenue): left-turns from Pine Lake Ave upgraded to FYA
-Boston Street at Lincolnway (SR 2): left turn from Lincolnway heading EB got upgraded
I expect some more intersections to receive these upgrades, so I will keep y'all posted on what's going on in the city of La Porte.

silverback1065

US 20 will be widened to 5 lanes (1 center left) from where the St. Joseph Valley Parkway ends to just east of SR 13. in a few years.

silverback1065

North Split will close in about 2 weeks for 1.5 yrs. As a result several exits on 465 will close for the same length to help traffic flow better. Ramp meters will also be added on some other exits too.
Exits to close include:

US 36/SR 67 ramp to SB 465

East St. to EB 465

Ramp Meters on:

Sam Jones Parkway, southbound
Kentucky Avenue, eastbound
Mann Road, eastbound
East Street, northbound/westbound
Shadeland Avenue, southbound

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 29, 2021, 03:58:55 PM
North Split will close in about 2 weeks for 1.5 yrs. As a result several exits on 465 will close for the same length to help traffic flow better. Ramp meters will also be added on some other exits too.
Exits to close include:

East St. to EB 465

Ramp Meters on:

Mann Road, eastbound

Couldn't have waited until after the 500?

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 29, 2021, 04:08:19 PM
Exits to close include:

East St. to EB 465

Ramp Meters on:

Mann Road, eastbound

Couldn't have waited until after the 500?

possibly, but that interchange is on its last legs. this project is badly needed.

SkyPesos

Exits to close include:

East St. to EB 465

Ramp Meters on:

Mann Road, eastbound
1.5 years complete closure? Seems a bit long to me for rebuilding a single system interchange. For comparison I-64 in St Louis about a decade ago was completely closed for a bit longer at 2 years, but that included 10 miles of roadway, 10 interchanges, including 1 system interchange as complex as the north split.

silverback1065

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 05:36:28 PM
Exits to close include:

East St. to EB 465

Ramp Meters on:

Mann Road, eastbound
1.5 years complete closure? Seems a bit long to me for rebuilding a single system interchange. For comparison I-64 in St Louis about a decade ago was completely closed for a bit longer at 2 years, but that included 10 miles of roadway, 10 interchanges, including 1 system interchange as complex as the north split.
I think the reason may be because they're building on top of existing and they're trying to keep some movements open at all times

Pixel 5

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 29, 2021, 07:49:14 PM
Exits to close include:

East St. to EB 465

Ramp Meters on:

Mann Road, eastbound
I think the reason may be because they're building on top of existing and they're trying to keep some movements open at all times

Pixel 5
Ah ok that makes sense. From what you write earlier, I thought they're going to do a complete closure, with no movements open at all, and rebuild the whole interchange from scratch.

I-55

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 07:52:36 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 29, 2021, 07:49:14 PM
Exits to close include:

East St. to EB 465

Ramp Meters on:

Mann Road, eastbound

Pixel 5
Ah ok that makes sense. From what you write earlier, I thought they're going to do a complete closure, with no movements open at all, and rebuild the whole interchange from scratch.

For that timeline I figured it would be a complete closure considering how long I-20/59 in Birmingham took.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

silverback1065

during construction you can just get to downtown but just cant drive through it. secret detour will be using west st.

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 30, 2021, 11:01:09 AM
during construction you can just get to downtown but just cant drive through it. secret detour will be using west st.
West Street has been a parking lot during rush hours for years now. Can't imagine it will be any different once the North Split is closed.

silverback1065

INDOT's detour for 65 is stupid for the north split construction, no one will use it that knows the area. Why would you take 65 up to the south split, then take 70 west to get onto 465 north? just take 465 the whole way like everyone else would. who are they kidding with this?

SkyPesos

Do people actually follow the official detour signage. I imagine that a lot use a GPS or look at the route options on a map and make their own detour. And in both cases, both drivers on 65 and 70 would probably decide to use I-465 south of I-70's western junction with no regards to the detour signage.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 10, 2021, 08:15:31 AM
INDOT's detour for 65 is stupid for the north split construction, no one will use it that knows the area. Why would you take 65 up to the south split, then take 70 west to get onto 465 north? just take 465 the whole way like everyone else would. who are they kidding with this?

INDOT's official detour will skip the smallest amount of the closed highway as possible. Going up to the south split misses less of 65. Like many other official detours, it's not the fastest route and people with local knowledge will use alternatives.

trafficsignal

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 10, 2021, 08:26:46 AM

INDOT's official detour will skip the smallest amount of the closed highway as possible. Going up to the south split misses less of 65. Like many other official detours, it's not the fastest route and people with local knowledge will use alternatives.

They'll also overlap timeframe-wise with some of the I-69/I-465 work on the SW side , so perhaps they are detouring up to downtown to avoid the other construction area?

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: trafficsignal on May 10, 2021, 09:23:06 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 10, 2021, 08:26:46 AM

They'll also overlap timeframe-wise with some of the I-69/I-465 work on the SW side , so perhaps they are detouring up to downtown to avoid the other construction area?

It won't overlap that much at all. At the very least they won't be closing lanes on 465 during North Split work. They are trying to avoid having 465, 70, and 65 traffic all use one 6 lane stretch of highway. Its kind of crazy to think about...you have a major North South interstate route, and one major East West interstate route, and a busy belt way, all using the same pavement.

Locals won't use that detour, but I think INDOT is hoping that out of towners and truckers will use it. In theory, as you approach downtown and the North Split, the HIGHWAY CLOSED signs will be way more prominent than any orange detour signs 3 miles away at the 465 interchange.

Considering the duration of this project (18 months), I wonder if it is possible for INDOT to ask Google to change how their system routes drivers around this project. I'll definitely see what Google maps says once the closure happens.

silverback1065

all inside routes will soon be on 465  :-o

FixThe74Sign

"All your route belong to me"  - 465

I-55

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 10, 2021, 02:12:29 PM
all inside routes will soon be on 465  :-o

The most INDOT thing to happen this year.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

SkyPesos

With some other reroutings, it's possible to have 465/70/74/36/40 East, 65 South, 69/67 North, 52 West on the southern part of the beltway between I-69 and I-65.

Edit: I screwed this up. 52 is actually East, not west. Dang it, thought it's an opportunity for all 4 cardinal directions on a stretch of road.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 12, 2021, 09:15:41 PM
With some other reroutings, it's possible to have 465/70/74/36/40 East, 65 South, 69/67 North, 52 West on the southern part of the beltway between I-69 and I-65.

Nona-concurrency with all four route directions on one stretch of road. Sounds perfect.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.