News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Right-turn arrow with simultaneous opposing left-turn arrow

Started by kphoger, April 19, 2016, 02:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

How common is this setup?  Your direction of travel gets a green right-turn arrow, while opposing traffic gets a green left-turn arrow–indicating both flows of traffic should proceed onto the same roadway.

Example from GSV at the Harlem Avenue interchange on the Eisenhower near Chicago (yes, accidents do happen here when people don't keep their lanes):

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tradephoric

tradephoric

With this streetview link you can actually verify that the arrows in opposing directions are indeed on at the same time (just turn 180 to look at the other direction). 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8736894,-87.8045773,3a,41.4y,108.66h,84.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF_wrTiVFNOGjF5y-u1dxrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

kphoger

The interchange at Austin is the same way and has been for years.  I figured it must not be common, but I also figured it must exist in other places too.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

In Wakefield, MA, the intersection of North Avenue, Main Street and Nahant Street has a phase where the right turn from North onto Main gets a green arrow at the same time that the left turn from Nahant onto Main has a green ball.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

For some reason, I don't see as much conflict in that scenario–basically operating as two opposing green balls, IMO.
Male pronouns, please.

myosh_tino

I find that setup pretty dangerous.  Who has the right-of-way if there's a collision?

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 02:45:42 PM
For some reason, I don't see as much conflict in that scenario–basically operating as two opposing green balls, IMO.
There is a difference between green balls and green arrows IMO.  Green arrows carry the presumption that that movement has the right-of-way.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

paulthemapguy

Good point, kphoger.  I hate this interchange.  KILL IT WITH FIRE!  :pan:
The right turn arrows should not be lit when the left turn arrows are.  Rather, they should share a phase with Harlem's left- turning traffic onto the freeway ramps.

So here are the phases that should be there:

• Harlem left turn arrows + off-ramp right turn arrows
  • Harlem thru traffic
  • off-ramp left turn arrows
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jakeroot

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 19, 2016, 03:30:26 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 02:45:42 PM

There is a difference between green balls and green arrows IMO.  Green arrows carry the presumption that that movement has the right-of-way.

Though 'practice' certainly differs from 'reality', most states require traffic to turn into the closest lane. If one side or the other turned into the "far" lane, technically the law wouldn't be in their favor. Unless, of course, Illinois has no such law. In which case, this signal really doesn't make any sense.

I'm surprised there's no guide lines in the intersection.

kphoger

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 19, 2016, 03:30:26 PM
Who has the right-of-way if there's a collision?

If there is a collision, then the person at fault is the one who didn't turn into the correct lane.  If all drivers keep their lanes, as is required by law, then there is no conflict.  But, in another way of answering your question, "right of way" is never guaranteed in US vehicle code.  By law, both drivers are required to give way, as set forth in the following statute.

Quote from: (625 ILCS 5/11-306) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-306) (a) 2
Vehicular traffic facing a green arrow signal, shown alone or in combination with another indication, may cautiously enter the intersection only to make the movement indicated by such arrow, or such other movement as is permitted by other indications shown at the same time. Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 19, 2016, 03:44:58 PM
If one side or the other turned into the "far" lane, technically the law wouldn't be in their favor. Unless, of course, Illinois has no such law.

Illinois does.

Quote from: (625 ILCS 5/11-801) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-801)
(1) Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practical to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of such vehicle, and after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection.
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 02:40:40 PM
The interchange at Austin is the same way and has been for years.  I figured it must not be common, but I also figured it must exist in other places too.

A case of IDOT = IDiOT as they've done it at at least one other interchange.

I-55 and IL-53 in Bolingbrook used to have it for traffic entering I-55.  The right turn arrows would always be green, even when the left turn onto the freeway had a green arrow.  Damn near got into an accident there one day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 03:54:18 PM
If one side or the other turned into the "far" lane, technically the law wouldn't be in their favor. Unless, of course, Illinois has no such law.

Illinois does.

(1) Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practical to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(2) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of such vehicle, and after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection.

As if anyone in Chicagoland actually does that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

If you'd like to see a bunch of people in Chicagoland doing it, then go to the Harlem exit on the Ike!
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 04:21:25 PM
If you'd like to see a bunch of people in Chicagoland doing it, then go to the Harlem exit on the Ike!

Been there, done that, used the horn a few times there.

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on April 19, 2016, 04:22:18 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 04:21:25 PM

Been there, done that, used the horn a few times there.

Nothing wrong with the occasional horn. Surely if there were too many collisions or close calls, the setup would be changed.

Kacie Jane

Illinois does.

I'm not sure your interpretation is correct.  The sentences you bolded appear to be referring to the actual turning process (not to take the turn too wide), not the lane you're supposed to turn into.  The last one mentions "to the left of the center of the intersection", but doesn't mention lanes.  Obviously you're not supposed to turn into the lane "to the left of the center" of the roadway.

I think the relevant sentence is the one before the last one: "so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being entered."  It just says "a lane", it doesn't specify the left-most lane.  To me that means that as long as you're turning into the correct half of the roadway, you're fine.

Revive 755

There's a difference between having a law on the books and having the law actually followed.  Just look at most of the speed limits in Chicagoland.  And what happens if someone gets off EB I-290 at Harlem and wants to turn left onto Garfield Street just south of the interchange?

kphoger

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 19, 2016, 06:49:46 PM

There's a difference between having a law on the books and having the law actually followed.  Just look at most of the speed limits in Chicagoland.  And what happens if someone gets off EB I-290 at Harlem and wants to turn left onto Garfield Street just south of the interchange?

(fixed quote)

Point being...?  The question was whether or not Illinois has a law on the books and who might be at fault in the event of a collision.  People ignoring laws doesn't make lawlessness legal.
Male pronouns, please.

Jardine

The ding dongs in Omaha (and it's worse in Sarpy county) don't signal turns or lane changes and freely change lanes while turning right or left onto streets with multiple lanes.  Simultaneous opposing arrows would lead to carnage on a massive scale.

I could see tow trucks being permanently stationed at any intersection with that 'feature'.

I won't even right turn on red (properly into curb lane) if anyone is coming from the left in any other lane as they won't signal a lane change, and will not hesitate to change lanes while traversing an intersection*.

* I'd swear I recall a friend of mine from Belvidere Illinois telling me he was ticketed for 'compound maneuver' for changing lanes there while driving through an intersection back in the 80s.  I can't imagine they still do this, the logistics of enforcing something even the patrolmen don't comprehend anymore would be onerous.

Super Mateo

Quote from: Brandon on April 19, 2016, 04:20:25 PM

Illinois does.

As if anyone in Chicagoland actually does that.

The law exists, but I have never seen any enforcement of it, nor is it commonly followed.  Some even cross lanes in a double left.  Others will turn left from a lane that is not intended for left turns.  Northbound I-57's diamond ramps at 119th and 127th are good examples of this.

wanderer2575

A variation on this setup:  Eastbound Birch Run Road at I-75 in Birch Run MI.  When the signal for the southbound exit ramp is green, a green right-turn arrow lights for eastbound traffic to cross the stop line and drive through the intersection to the southbound entrance ramp a couple hundred feet ahead.  Imagine doing that while in your peripheral vision you see a car coming at you from the exit ramp, and you pray to whatever deity that he doesn't do a banana turn and overshoot the lane into the side of your car while he's turning.

https://goo.gl/maps/5EpRmCzZdyP2

kphoger

So, guys, any corresponding examples outside of the Eisenhower?
Male pronouns, please.

Revive 755

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 07:00:12 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on April 19, 2016, 06:49:46 PM

(fixed quote)

Point being...?  The question was whether or not Illinois has a law on the books and who might be at fault in the event of a collision.  People ignoring laws doesn't make lawlessness legal.

Point being that just because the state law says that an EB vehicle turning right and a WB vehicle turning south are supposed to turn into separate lanes does not mean one should design for this, especially when there would be temptation for the EB right turner to either turn into the inner lane or move into that lane shortly after the turn.  You were suggesting upthread that there was nothing wrong with the design.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 02:16:05 PM
How common is this setup?  Your direction of travel gets a green right-turn arrow, while opposing traffic gets a green left-turn arrow–indicating both flows of traffic should proceed onto the same roadway.

Happened near us last year outside the new Wegmans. I complained to VDOT but knew that wouldn't help, so I also spoke to our member of the county board of supervisors. He immediately understood the problem and it was fixed within a week.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.