News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This one is unsafe. In Ardmore, OK, where a two way street becomes one way in the opposing direction, the do not enter signs are too far back.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1720466,-97.1262418,3a,63.6y,295.71h,86.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soxHhUGrKNXK45UOOaGvnrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

They would be wise to fill in that flush gore area with concrete and a planter, and a centrally-located R5-1 sign.

mrsman

Quote from: Brian556 on September 24, 2018, 04:13:31 PM
This one is unsafe. In Ardmore, OK, where a two way street becomes one way in the opposing direction, the do not enter signs are too far back.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1720466,-97.1262418,3a,63.6y,295.71h,86.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soxHhUGrKNXK45UOOaGvnrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Agreed, where a two-way becomes a wrong-way one-way, or one-way streets change directions into a do not enter, the "Do not enter" and "wrong way" signs need to be very prominent. 

jakeroot

Not sure if this counts as "poor", as I think it's allowed in the US too, but this relatively-new roundabout diagrammatic sign in Hamilton, NZ is mounted directly over a footpath (with an unimpressive clearance). Watch your head!

Sidenote: love the white sign posts that New Zealand uses.

jbnv

This entering Amite, LA, on US 51.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2018, 06:14:42 PM
Not sure if this counts as "poor", as I think it's allowed in the US too, but this relatively-new roundabout diagrammatic sign in Hamilton, NZ is mounted directly over a footpath (with an unimpressive clearance). Watch your head!

I bet that sign is taller than it looks.  The bottom of the sign looks as though it's a lot taller than the roof of the house right beside it.

Not trying to be a dick, just saying.

I've seen roundabout signage straddling the sidewalk in Ontario too.  There is a new roundabout in Listowel, ON where a bunch of the signs were affixed over the sidewalk.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Eth

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 08, 2018, 11:55:31 AM
I bet that sign is taller than it looks.  The bottom of the sign looks as though it's a lot taller than the roof of the house right beside it.

I don't know what NZ's standards are, so I'm just guessing here, but if that destination text is even just 8 inches tall (and I imagine it's likely bigger than that), then it looks like this sign gives at least 9 feet of clearance. More likely closer to 10-12 feet.

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on October 07, 2018, 06:14:42 PM

https://i.imgur.com/PZ42iNk.png

Not trying to be a dick, just saying.

I've seen roundabout signage straddling the sidewalk in Ontario too.  There is a new roundabout in Listowel, ON where a bunch of the signs were affixed over the sidewalk.

The house next to the road is actually below the grade of the roadway. Really only noticeable in Street View, going back around the corner.

Don't worry about it. None of us are going to be able to actually verify anything here. It's all conjecture. The sign leading up to that Listowel roundabout looks to be a bit higher than what's pictured above: https://goo.gl/HYsuPv

Quote from: Eth on October 08, 2018, 01:57:22 PM

I don't know what NZ's standards are, so I'm just guessing here, but if that destination text is even just 8 inches tall (and I imagine it's likely bigger than that), then it looks like this sign gives at least 9 feet of clearance. More likely closer to 10-12 feet.

Google Maps suggests the footpath to be only 5.5 feet wide, +/- half a foot. I can't imagine the clearance being anymore than 7 or 8 feet, given that. Still room for most, but maybe some crouching required for taller folks.

AsphaltPlanet

It looks to me like the camera height is a bit taller for New Zealand's street view compared to that in North America.  It could be a bit of an illusion, but it looks like you can see more of the tops of cars in New Zealand than you can in North America.

What's actually really interesting about this roundabout though is the underground pedestrian network leading to and through the central island.  That's a nice feature for pedestrians.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jakeroot

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 08, 2018, 03:21:03 PM
It looks to me like the camera height is a bit taller for New Zealand's street view compared to that in North America.  It could be a bit of an illusion, but it looks like you can see more of the tops of cars in New Zealand than you can in North America.

I noticed that too. The vehicles used by Google Maps in New Zealand were originally Holden Astra's, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. Normal hatchback utilized by Google (I think Imprezas are used here), but no idea why it appears higher.

Up north in Japan, the cameras are lower to avoid peering over garden fences. Glad they didn't find it easier to streamline the process and adopt the same height for the entirety of the Far East and Oceania. I seem to recall Singapore looking kind of low.

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 08, 2018, 03:21:03 PM
What's actually really interesting about this roundabout though is the underground pedestrian network leading to and through the central island.  That's a nice feature for pedestrians.

I love that feature too. It's sometimes avoided by modern urban planners, as the undercrossings (another word for "dark area") can have crime issues, but as long as they're wide enough and not too long (half the case here -- tunnels are short but narrow), they're great for improving accessibility and reducing the feel of car-centrism that roundabouts tend to bring.

jakeroot

Lansdowne Center, Richmond, BC. Is in a parking lot but it's nevertheless confusing.

Michael

I came across this on US 15 northbound at the NY border a few nights ago.  Thankfully, the Cuomo sign is the one being blocked.

wanderer2575

This used to be on westbound I-96 at M-39 in Detroit.  Of course the intent was "don't turn right when merging into the C/D lanes," but the placement was bizarre.  A vehicle took it out several years ago and it hasn't been replaced.

jbnv

Props to roadman for catching this poor juxtaposition of VMS and service sign in this picture of mine.

Blinkers by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

JCinSummerfield

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 01, 2020, 02:36:26 PM

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on September 01, 2020, 02:22:29 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8094831,-83.4994872,3a,75y,92.41h,71.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVHqsp1zzaqLaCNA7i7YMRw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This poorly placed sign actually blocks the railroad signals.

Why's the street name in Russian?

Another one of these...

Quote from: kphoger on July 16, 2020, 03:55:17 PM
Does anyone know what's up with some road segments being labeled in another language?

For example, here's a state highway in Mexico that thinks it's in Ethiopia.

Quote from: MrManlet on July 19, 2020, 02:00:18 PM

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 16, 2020, 04:04:44 PM
I remember seeing both Russian (or another cyrillic script language) and Japanese while going around Spain. Example

Now its in Japanese!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Ethiopia is 135° east and slightly south of Nueva León. Japan is 135° east of Spain, and part of it is slightly south. It seems like it might be a constant offset.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on September 01, 2020, 03:00:25 PM
Ethiopia is 135° east and slightly south of Nueva León. Japan is 135° east of Spain, and part of it is slightly south. It seems like it might be a constant offset.

Exactly 135° east of Erie (MI) would be the Caspian Sea, so maybe you're onto something there...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rte66man

Needs some judicious pruning.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kphoger

Quote from: rte66man on September 07, 2020, 04:35:44 PM
Needs some judicious pruning.

But that's not the fault of the sign placement–just the tree trimming.
Male pronouns, please.

ozarkman417

SM-G965U

Excuse the image quality, which is almost as bad as this sign's placement. The way the "wrong way" sign is set up here makes it appear as if this ramp is the wrong one to go on, when it is in fact the correct one. It was flipped to the correct side of the pole about a month later.

STLmapboy

Something about this strikes me as a little off.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.