News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VA Gov McDonnell planning to toll I-95 at VA/NC border

Started by WillWeaverRVA, May 10, 2010, 02:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=12457327

McDonnell Plans Border Toll

Tolls may be on the way to the Virginia-North Carolina border on Interstate 95.

Governor Bob McDonnell announced his administration took the first step to making such a toll a reality. McDonnell's office applied to toll I-95 to the Federal Highway Administration Monday.

"After a careful review of the Commonwealth's transportation needs, I believe the ability to toll Interstate 95 at the border will quickly enable the Commonwealth to begin addressing some of our greatest areas of concern," said McDonnell.

"Such user fees will help the Commonwealth generate the revenue necessary to make much needed infrastructure and safety improvements in the I-95 corridor to better serve the traveling public and increase economic productivity."

If approved, Virginia could charge between $1 and $2 per axle. McDonnell said that could generate between $30 and $60 million annually.

Stay with 8News for updates.

To be blunt, this is a bad idea. Not only is there public opposition to any new toll roads (I personally have no opinion), but there are exits within 4 miles of both sides of the border that would make such a toll extremely easy to dodge, much like the toll on I-95 near the DE/MD border. The state simply would not stand to profit much if at all, unless they're targeting truck traffic in the area.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

rawmustard

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on May 10, 2010, 02:40:52 PM
To be blunt, this is a bad idea. Not only is there public opposition to any new toll roads (I personally have no opinion), but there are exits within 4 miles of both sides of the border that would make such a toll extremely easy to dodge, much like the toll on I-95 near the DE/MD border. The state simply would not stand to profit much if at all, unless they're targeting truck traffic in the area.

It looks as though McDonnell heard about the idea a few P-A legislators proposed, blatantly ignored the (correct) opposition to it, and thus somehow thinks it's a good idea for one of his state line crossings. It must be one of those things that because a politician proposed it, then bygolly it's worth taking a deep look into it.

74/171FAN

Quote from: rawmustard on May 10, 2010, 02:59:25 PM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on May 10, 2010, 02:40:52 PM

It looks as though McDonnell heard about the idea a few P-A legislators proposed, blatantly ignored the (correct) opposition to it, and thus somehow thinks it's a good idea for one of his state line crossings. It must be one of those things that because a politician proposed it, then bygolly it's worth taking a deep look into it.
Actually I remember him stating the idea in his campaign along with also possibly tolling I-85 at the VA/NC line
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NJRoadfan

Isn't tolling the sole reason Emporia exists? Don't see why one would toll I-85 though, traffic counts are low compared to I-95. VA got greedy for those federal $$$ back in the 50s, they could have built a Petersburg-Washington Turnpike and had no problem with funding.

SP Cook

Yet another politician that has not read the Law.

agentsteel53

Quote from: SP Cook on May 10, 2010, 08:07:35 PM
Law.

the way you keep capitalizing that word is getting to be a bit disturbing.

authoritarianism doesn't need cheerleaders.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

I doubt these border tolls will be approved and I am not even sure McDonnell wants them to be, despite going through the motions of submitting an application.  I think this is basically an exercise in signalling--"If you don't agree to bonds or a tax increase, this is the sort of unpleasant stuff you can expect."

NC has tried the same (though perhaps not to the extent of sending an application to FHWA) and in their case I suspect the motivation was similar.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

I have no problems with a state tolling a road that is used primarily by out-of-state traffic. If Virginia wants to use that toll revenue on I-95, which would free up money for use elsewhere that otherwise would have had to be spent on I-95, bully for them. I wouldn't mind seeing Kentucky toll I-24 to collect some revenue from the midwesterners who use that route to get to the beaches and to Florida. Anytime I'm on I-24, I see more cars from Missouri, Kansas, Illinois and Iowa than I do from Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ShawnP

froggie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.