News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Puyallup River Bridge finally getting replaced

Started by jakeroot, May 05, 2014, 11:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Normally, I wouldn't make a new topic just for a small project such as this, but this bridge, as you can read below, is the most structurally deficient bridge in Washington State, and as such, is in my opinion deserving of its own topic.

Starting a few weeks ago, WSDOT has begun replacement of the Puyallup River Bridge (aka SR-161 northbound) between Korum Korners and whatever the hell is north of the bridge (more car dealerships, I suppose).

The bridge came to attention, particularly to south-sound dwellers such as myself, after the Skagit River Bridge collapse last year. Everyone was up in arms about old bridges and the Puyallup River Bridge lies at the very bottom of the list of most deficient (i.e. dangerous) bridges. It is literally the worst bridge in the state, apparently. I would agree, having driven over the bridge hundreds of times. I can't believe it's still standing. I thought it would have plunged into the river long ago.

Anyways, (here) is a link to the DOT's page about the project.

Here's a few images of the replacement bridge. Obviously, they plan to make it look relatively similar to its sibling built in the 70s:

jakeroot

A humongous revival, but the bridge has been replaced and the old one removed.

Here's a video showing the old bridge being moved to a holding area, where its fate will be determined.

https://youtu.be/bmzmtlwbDA4

Bruce

From the DOT page:

QuoteAfter successful relocation to nearby WSDOT property, the goal is to offer the no longer used steel truss bridge to another jurisdiction for another purpose. There is a possibility it could be used as a pedestrian or bicycle facility. If unsuccessful, WSDOT will recycle the steel.

I wonder which bike/ped trail in Pierce County could use an old truss bridge? I'd hate to see it being shipped off elsewhere.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 19, 2015, 03:05:55 PM
I wonder which bike/ped trail in Pierce County could use an old truss bridge? I'd hate to see it being shipped off elsewhere.

I bet they'll find something. In the mean time, it's pretty cool just having it sat in the middle of a field; bizarre at the least.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2015, 01:57:10 AM

I bet they'll find something. In the mean time, it's pretty cool just having it sat in the middle of a field; bizarre at the least.
It's still on site? Time to plan a trip to Puyallup, then.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 22, 2015, 02:02:30 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2015, 01:57:10 AM

It's still on site? Time to plan a trip to Puyallup, then.

Here's a photo I took a couple days ago...with my iPhone:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.