News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why won't Alaska raise the speed limit?

Started by Molandfreak, June 07, 2015, 12:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

With so much speed limit discussion in the lower 48, I don't see why Alaska still needs to slow things down. With their desolate territory, they should be able to go 65 or more on most of the two-lane roads. If there needs to be a night limit due to wildlife I can agree with that, but being limited to 55 all hours seems really unnecessary and overkill. The freeway from Anchorage to Wasilla should be able to go at least 75 as well.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

KEK Inc.

They have about 3-4 freeways that aren't longer than 20 miles.  Wildlife is a threat no matter what time of day.  Not to mention snow and ice in the winter time.
Take the road less traveled.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 07, 2015, 01:56:15 AM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on June 07, 2015, 01:44:00 AM
They have about 3-4 freeways that aren't longer than 20 miles.  Wildlife is a threat no matter what time of day.  Not to mention snow and ice in the winter time.
1. Yes... Your point?
2. Yes, but it is in parts of the western Lower 48 as well.
3. Do any other states have speed limits just because of ice? I'm not aware of any, and people go slower than the speed limit in storms anyway...

I guess if you don't care for these reasons, you can ask Alaska why they don't have limits higher than 65.

oscar

As someone who drives a lot in Alaska, and likes to drive faster than 65, I'm not real offended by a 65 maximum limit. Alaska DOT&PF is pretty generous about posting 65 even on the most urban of its paper Interstates, and even the better of its two-lane Interstates like parts of the busy Parks Highway between Wasilla and Fairbanks via Denali NP. (By statute, only Interstate-designated roads are eligible for anything above 55.)

Three reasons why there's no push to 70 or higher:

-- Moose are a huge problem all over, including the most rural part of the Glenn Highway freeway (part of AK 1) between Anchorage and Palmer. Other critters also don't help, but moose on the loose are the most deadly.

-- Tourists in their g__d__n RVs will slow you down in the summer, no matter what the limit.

-- Much of Alaska is in permafrost country, which means an unusual amount of road damage, especially with an Arctic-wide problem with melting permafrost undermining roads. That is expensive to fix due to Alaska being at the end of all the supply chains, plus a very short construction season. I've seen the Alaska Highway part of Interstate A-1 (between Tok and the Canadian border) posted as low as 25mph due to road damage, though the road was fixed and the limits raised last time I was up there in 2012.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

nexus73

"Because moose" would have been my guess. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

dave1013

We provided for a maximum speed of 75 mph two years ago in an update to our Policy and Procedure regarding Establishment of Speed Limits and Zones (05.05.020 - click http://dot.alaska.gov/stwddes/dcstraffic/resources.shtml.  Its application on our road system is a bit limited, given the requirements. 
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

SP Cook

$$. 

Same reason as for every underposted SL everywhere.

vdeane

So basically, the freeway from Anchorage to Wasilla could theoretically go 75, but not much else.  Meanwhile, in Texas...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Thunderbyrd316

As a proponent of reasonable speed limit increases, based upon my observations on Street View (I have never actually been to Alaska) the only severely under posted sections of highway in Alaska appear to be the 55 m.p.h. zones on AK 2 between North Pole and Fairbanks and between Fairbanks and Fox. I believe these could both be at least 60 if not 65.

noelbotevera

Quote from: vdeane on September 23, 2015, 12:48:18 PM
So basically, the freeway from Anchorage to Wasilla could theoretically go 75, but not much else.  Meanwhile, in Texas...
Hello, I'm US 190. I'm the two lane, lonely, US highway with a top speed limit of 75 miles per hour.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.