Variable speed corridor along I-84 in eastern Oregon

Started by Ace10, November 27, 2016, 05:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace10

Just took a trip out to Idaho for Thanksgiving and noticed brand-new variable speed signs along I-84 in eastern Oregon. They're posted between Ladd Canyon and Baker City - about a 30 mile stretch. The signs look like full-matrix VMSs and are posted over the travel lanes. They show the speed limit for regular passenger vehicles as well as trucks, which in that area are currently 70 mph for passenger vehicles and 65 for trucks.

In that 30-mile stretch, I think I counted about 5 or 6 signs each way.

ODOT testing weather-variable speed signs along Interstate 84

LA GRANDE – The Oregon Department of Transportation is testing new speed signs that change the speed limit based on weather conditions on Interstate 84.
During the past few weeks, ODOT crews have been installing the variable-speed signs in a 30-mile corridor from Ladd Canyon to Baker City, The (La Grande) Observer reported.
The new electronic message boards indicate a safe speed limit for vehicles in adverse weather conditions. Computers collect data regarding temperature, skid resistance and average motorist speed to determine the most effective speed limit for this area before presenting the limit on the sign.
The variable signs are expected to go live on Nov. 1.

vdeane

I've never been a fan of actually reducing the speed limit for weather conditions.  Driving a speed that is safe for conditions is one of those basic things that every driver should be able to do.  If one can't, they should turn in their licence so that it can be destroyed.

I know around here, if we had that, Cuomo would probably reduce the speed limit on all roads to 30 if there was so much as a hint of a couple snowflakes falling on the ground (right after he closes I-84).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bickendan

Quote from: vdeane on November 27, 2016, 06:33:11 PM
I've never been a fan of actually reducing the speed limit for weather conditions.  Driving a speed that is safe for conditions is one of those basic things that every driver should be able to do.  If one can't, they should turn in their licence so that it can be destroyed.

I know around here, if we had that, Cuomo would probably reduce the speed limit on all roads to 30 if there was so much as a hint of a couple snowflakes falling on the ground (right after he closes I-84).
What's more impressive is if he closes I-84 here in Oregon instead of New York :meh:

Thunderbyrd316

As long as they don't get ridiculous, I don't really have a problem with this. Personally, I think 65 is fast enough for driving at night or when pavement is wet and 35 to 50 when there is snow, depending on the specific situation. (My definition of "wet" pavement is "a uniform layer of moisture covering the entirety of all travel lanes or, in the case of a divided highway or one-way road, the entirety of all travel lanes in the same direction". My definition would specifically EXCLUDE damp or drying pavement meaning ANY dry spots would be legally considered "dry" pavement, though the standard "reasonable and prudent / basic rule" would still be in force.)

As a side note, I have been on I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass when the weather was abysmal yet the "variable" signs there still read the max. posting for that section of 65.

kalvado

Quote from: Bickendan on November 28, 2016, 02:45:18 AM
Quote from: vdeane on November 27, 2016, 06:33:11 PM

What's more impressive is if he closes I-84 here in Oregon instead of New York :meh:
If you think this is a joke, think twice...  And if you don't close highway on time, Cuomo can do something horrible. Like banning state-funded travel, like he did to NC and MO..

02 Park Ave

I believe that in Wyoming they have separate summer and winter speed limits on the Interstate.
C-o-H

vdeane

Yeesh.  That's even worse.  Why should the speed limit be lowered when the road is clear and dry just because of what month you're in?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2016, 01:14:26 PM
Yeesh.  That's even worse.  Why should the speed limit be lowered when the road is clear and dry just because of what month you're in?

Wind, wildlife, other contributing factors. It's incredibly rare that it's safe to drive 80 on I-80 in the winter.

80 in Wyoming in winter is a really unique driving experience not really replicated anywhere else, with the combination of heavy truck traffic, high winds, random snow drifts on otherwise clear roadway, the possibility of whiteout conditions pretty quickly, and a heavy wildlife population. Random drivers don't really know what they're facing ( and the sheer speed at which conditions change- coming around a blind corner at 80 into a foot tall snowdrift on what appeared to be a clear and dry day is not fun), so I'm good with government telling them to slow down.

And because of the unpredictability of it, a conventional real time variable system likely wouldn't work.

doorknob60

I just noticed these over the weekend as well. Both times, they were showing the standard 70/65 Speed Limit. Their choice of placement seems a bit odd. To me they would be of more use between La Grande and Pendleton over the Blues and down Cabbage Hill. That area can get treacherous at times. I imagine they might be planning on expanding it out to there if it's successful here.

Alps

Quote from: corco on November 29, 2016, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2016, 01:14:26 PM

Wind, wildlife, other contributing factors. It's incredibly rare that it's safe to drive 80 on I-80 in the winter.

80 in Wyoming in winter is a really unique driving experience not really replicated anywhere else, with the combination of heavy truck traffic, high winds, random snow drifts on otherwise clear roadway, the possibility of whiteout conditions pretty quickly, and a heavy wildlife population. Random drivers don't really know what they're facing ( and the sheer speed at which conditions change- coming around a blind corner at 80 into a foot tall snowdrift on what appeared to be a clear and dry day is not fun), so I'm good with government telling them to slow down.

And because of the unpredictability of it, a conventional real time variable system likely wouldn't work.
If you can't see around the curve to notice the snowdrift, then 80 MPH is too fast at any time of year. At least for that curve.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.