Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spell4yr

The OCD in me will just be happy when they fix the gore signs on I-80/294 at Halsted (the BGSs are correct in 2B, then 2A, but the gore signs are reversed).

ChiMilNet

Quote from: spell4yr on September 29, 2016, 06:31:55 PM
The OCD in me will just be happy when they fix the gore signs on I-80/294 at Halsted (the BGSs are correct in 2B, then 2A, but the gore signs are reversed).

How about the weird striping/signage where 294 Northbound drops a lane for about 10 feet just at the I-90 tri-level interchange? What is the reason for that??? I would have thought that they would just keep a continuous fourth lane when they rebuilt/widened I-294 through that area.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 29, 2016, 07:21:20 PM
Quote from: spell4yr on September 29, 2016, 06:31:55 PM

How about the weird striping/signage where 294 Northbound drops a lane for about 10 feet just at the I-90 tri-level interchange? What is the reason for that??? I would have thought that they would just keep a continuous fourth lane when they rebuilt/widened I-294 through that area.

To make the split flow better? I have used as an lane at least once was not able to get over in time. But maybe when they rebuild the central part in 2020-2022 they can fix it.

I-39

It's official: I hate the new Tollway website.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on October 09, 2016, 01:12:18 PM
It's official: I hate the new Tollway website.

Not a huge fan of the revamp either. With that said, it's still way better and much more informative (not to mention, up to date) than the joke of a website IDOT has.

dvferyance

Jake and Elwood hated Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Tollways.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: dvferyance on October 14, 2016, 06:46:31 PM
Jack and Elwood hated Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Tollways.
Just get an license plate with the registration address of 1060 west addison an use it to drive for free.

rarnold

I-39

Does anyone know the status of the master plan for the Central Tri-State rebuild? Nothing new has been posted since earlier this year.

dvferyance

Quote from: rarnold on October 16, 2016, 01:44:24 PM
It was Jake, not Jack.
I know must have been a typo I have since corrected.

ILRoad55

I've noticed that the tollways never have their names on the BGS signs. The only times I've seen the Tollways' names used were on a single brown sign near their Starting sections and they include a little picture. Also I know that where 355 and 88 cross over, there's a single green sign that says N-S Tollway and E-W Tollway. I feel like the Tri-State has one but I don't know and that's one of the oldest expressways in the Chicagoland area.

The non-Toll interstates use their names on the BGS signs and even on the ones for Tollways. Just check the signs for the Circle interchange and the Stevenson / Ryan interchange, they all use their names Kennedy, Eisenhower, Ryan, Stevenson. Anyone know why this is?

EDIT: Image for reference, this was an old sign that has now been removed. The new one doesn't use Tri-State and doesn't use N-W Tollway but keeps Kennedy Expy

SSOWorld

The names on Tollway signs were removed to make way for federal mandated "TOLL" warning strips.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

quickshade

Quote from: I-39 on November 13, 2016, 04:08:39 PM
Does anyone know the status of the master plan for the Central Tri-State rebuild? Nothing new has been posted since earlier this year.

Design phase still, expect it to ramp up after next year when the new EOWA work wraps up and remaining I90 work is completed.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: quickshade on November 14, 2016, 05:29:59 PM

Design phase still, expect it to ramp up after next year when the new EOWA work wraps up and remaining I90 work is completed.
The older? eoe plans for the I-294 / north ave area showed some of it but with only 4 each way + aux / exit only lanes main line maybe the newer ones for that have 5 each way + wide shoulders + 2 aux / exit lanes.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on November 14, 2016, 06:14:15 PM
Quote from: quickshade on November 14, 2016, 05:29:59 PM

The older? eoe plans for the I-294 / north ave area showed some of it but with only 4 each way + aux / exit only lanes main line maybe the newer ones for that have 5 each way + wide shoulders + 2 aux / exit lanes.

The stretch between the I-90 interchange and I-290/I-88 interchange area desperately needs to be five each way with applicable aux where necessary. That stretch is such a source of backups, especially Southbound during the afternoon rush (and these backups often go all the way to Golf Road). Here's hoping they can address that.

ET21

The Cumberland flyover begins today and lasts until a projected fall 2018 deadline
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ILRoad55

I feel like this Cumberland Flyover won't help at all. From the looks of it the map plan, the are pushing the merge of I-90 and I-190 past East River Road and then having a separate set of lanes for Cumberland South...?
Now I question South because that's really dumb, it should be for both North and South on Cumberland because 90 drops a lane because that 4th lane is for the N Cumberland Exit and forces 90 to be 3 lanes. I really feel like this won't do much. The only pros are that East River Road gets a new bridge and the South Cumberland Ramp gets catered to.

johndoe780

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 15, 2016, 06:21:22 PM
I feel like this Cumberland Flyover won't help at all. From the looks of it the map plan, the are pushing the merge of I-90 and I-190 past East River Road and then having a separate set of lanes for Cumberland South...?
Now I question South because that's really dumb, it should be for both North and South on Cumberland because 90 drops a lane because that 4th lane is for the N Cumberland Exit and forces 90 to be 3 lanes. I really feel like this won't do much. The only pros are that East River Road gets a new bridge and the South Cumberland Ramp gets catered to.

It's because idiots from the left lanes of kennedy have to merge past 190 traffic to get off cumberland south to get on the blue line causing backups.

This + 4 laned to Harlem should help with the congestion.

dzlsabe

That should or will "help"??? I agree with your skepticism. Is that even the tollway? Maybe just rearrange the road signs (again) to ninety to, too, or two.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

ILRoad55

Technically it's an IDOT project, I don't even think the tollway is part of it. And no, rearranging road sign numbers will do anything. What is this, let me pick my favorite number and see where it will take me?

Like it can work with the weaving problem but then you still have to do some weaving to get off at NB Cumberland.

Also I'd like to add that when they redid Cumberland, it looks like they thought about the future. It looks like you can add 2 more lanes onto the Kennedy underneath Cumberland. But the problem is the CTA and the parking garage restrict you from doing that on the EB side

jwags

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 15, 2016, 06:34:13 PM

It's because idiots from the left lanes of kennedy have to merge past 190 traffic to get off cumberland south to get on the blue line causing backups.

You do realize the only way to get to the blue line is by getting off at Cumberland North, right?

johndoe780

Quote from: jwags on November 16, 2016, 11:02:09 AM

You do realize the only way to get to the blue line is by getting off at Cumberland North, right?

Nope, never got off cumberland. I always head straight to the Kennedy.

Every time I get stuck in traffic by cumberland I just see idiots and crazy taxi drivers merging hard right.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 16, 2016, 01:26:55 PM
Quote from: jwags on November 16, 2016, 11:02:09 AM

Nope, never got off cumberland. I always head straight to the Kennedy.

Every time I get stuck in traffic by cumberland I just see idiots and crazy taxi drivers merging hard right.

This is sadly going to be another case where a nice upgrade by the Tollway is overshadowed by IDOT's lack of upgrades or half hazard job of doing one (see I-88 inbound at the Hillside strangler). I-90 at I-290 in Schaumburg will be another. The newer interchanges the Tollway has generally done a good job of at least keeping the mess off their portion (essentially, showing exactly where the burden of upgrades remains with IDOT). This includes I-355 at I-55 or I-355 at I-80 (which actually forced IDOT to finally widen I-80 in this area).

However, this is one I haven't seen mentioned as much, but during the upcoming reconstruction of I-294, I really hope the agencies will take an opportunity to look at the I-55 to I-294 movements. Some of these really need to be redone. IDOT's upgrades in the late 90s early 2000s merely helped with the narrowness of their portion of the interchange, but this is another case where the SB I-294 to NB I-55 loop should be upgraded to a flyover. What makes this one especially bad, in my opinion, is the high level of truck traffic (it never fails that I get stuck behind a slow moving semi on a ramp here).

I-39

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 25, 2016, 09:39:54 AM
This is sadly going to be another case where a nice upgrade by the Tollway is overshadowed by IDOT's lack of upgrades or half hazard job of doing one (see I-88 inbound at the Hillside strangler). I-90 at I-290 in Schaumburg will be another. The newer interchanges the Tollway has generally done a good job of at least keeping the mess off their portion (essentially, showing exactly where the burden of upgrades remains with IDOT). This includes I-355 at I-55 or I-355 at I-80 (which actually forced IDOT to finally widen I-80 in this area).

I wonder what would need to be done in the future when (not if, because it will need to happen someday) the I-290/IL-53 system interchange is finally addressed. It does not seem like the work on I-90 was designed to accommodate future improvements to the interchange, which you would have thought they'd at least done so the construction is minimally disruptive in the future.

However, I don't think they will do exactly what was planned in this document (https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/96652/2007-10-31-I-90-LAMP-EXEC-SUMMARY.pdf/ec1183d3-55f4-4db0-9998-7d64e8fe8ca7?version=1.0) simply because it would require too much ROW. Though I wonder if they could shift the interchange slightly east?

ILRoad55

Oh that's interesting! Barrington was meant to have a different interchange, Roselle's interchange was supposed to tie in with I-290 and a planned Plum Grove interchange, and then Meacham and 290 are different.

I was also looking through the Illinois Tollway's site and found a document with a different Meacham interchange design, originally there wasn't a C&D ramp to the right of the Meacham on-off ramp, you just had to merge in to get off.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.