News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Air Conditioned L.E.D. Displays?

Started by In_Correct, August 14, 2019, 11:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have You Encountered An Air Conditioned L.E.D. Display?

Yes.
0 (0%)
No.
1 (33.3%)
I Am Not Sure.
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

In_Correct

I pulled in to a travel center. I walked around. I heard this sound of a beehive with bees buzzing. I looked up to see that the L.E.D. display next to the road is making that noise. So these L.E.D. Displays are air conditioned? What do these air conditioners look like.?
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Duke87

Somehow I doubt there was an actual air conditioner involved. There would not logically be any need for one.

It is possible that the display featured a fan to vent heat generated by its internal workings, and you were hearing the fan, though even this would be unusual.

More likely if you were hearing buzzing, the sound was being generated by the driver that converts AC to DC (LEDs run on DC power, so anything LED that is connected to the electric grid will have one) - it normally shouldn't buzz, though, this indicates it's going bad.

Alternatively, the sound you were hearing may have been coming from a transformer - those naturally vibrate at 120 Hz just because of how they work.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman

Actually, the fans are there to keep the internal components cool when the equipment warms up due to outside temperature, and not because of the heat the components themselves generate.  There are sensors on the case that regulate when the fans will activate.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.