Walmart and Target Eliminate In-Store Photo Printing

Started by Brian556, August 09, 2019, 01:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Walmart and Target in my area just removed photo printing kiosks.

Max Rockatansky

One Hour Photo just gets more and more dated by the year.

mgk920

hbelkins

There's still a couple of them in the little non-Supercenter Wally World in Jackson. Saw someone printing pictures off their phone with it the other day.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 09, 2019, 03:38:36 PM
One Hour Photo just gets more and more dated by the year.

It's still easier, not to mention much cheaper, to upload pictures to a store app and have them print them.  They must have just decided to leave it to CVS and Walgreens.

Each 4x6 print cost $0.39 at Walgreens.  8x10s are $4.  It would be much more per print if I bought my own ink cartridges and photo-grade paper.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

1995hoo

Kinko's, or whatever they're calling themselves these days, still have photo printing. It's not really a "kiosk" because it's a bit more elaborate of a setup.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 13, 2019, 10:41:32 AM
Kinko's, or whatever they're calling themselves these days

FedEx Office -- but I still call them Kinko's. I often used one of the first Kinko's near my college campus in northern California.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Brian556 on August 09, 2019, 01:49:11 PM
Walmart and Target in my area just removed photo printing kiosks.

My Target just put up signs announcing that they will be removing them soon.

In_Correct

If any FedEx Office stores are inside or near Walmart, this could be a replacement for Walmart's photo printing services.

There is no benefit to having a store develop your digital photos as if it was film. It. Is. Not. It They do not develop film. It is printing!

I like classic television, but hate that most of it was done on Magnetic Tape. The Magnetic Tape machines that they used back then were as large as vending machines. I hated regular Video Home System Video Cassette Recorders. The maintenance of a Vending Machine sized device is even more difficult to maintain, not even worth it. Television should have been entirely made with film.

I do not think that they made any photograph out of Magnetic Tape. If they did, it would be not much different from a LaserDisc or D.V.D. ... They would be digital photographs that could be accessed with a computer and printed. Decades ago this would be very expensive, but today it is much easier to print yourself.

With film you could easily develop it as a movie, photograph, slides, any thing ... in any size ... as long as you keep the Negatives. The Negatives are the most important thing of the images. As long as you have Negatives, you can make as many copies and as many types of images as desired.

Digital images today are almost as good as Film, but I still prefer Film. Taking digital images to a place to be printed is silly. It is not the same as film and it seems that Walmart no longer lets you keep the Negatives when developing film either. For Film it is best to develop them and keep the negatives. And it is much easier to develop digital images yourself instead of taking them to be developed. The only reason why any body would need that type of service is if they do not even have a desktop computer (only mobile devices such as smart phone and tablet) let alone a printer. But I am able to have a Brother colour laser printer with photo paper. Even if I have to buy new Toner it is much better than going to a place to be printed.

If these film labs and printing kiosks are very low quality, it is best that they close down. It sounds like Walmart and Target's image services are very low quality.

However, If Walmart were to expand this department instead of close it, I would support them. My Walmart has a little of every thing, ... Clothes, Food, Tools, Garden, Automotive, Furniture, Books, Money Services, they reinstated Fabric to the Crafts department ... The Electronics section is quite large also ... Perhaps the larger Walmarts will eventually have Image Printing and full service Film Labs where you keep the negatives.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.