Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

I remember when MTV and VH-1 used to edit Tom Petty's You Don't Know How it Feels video and the line "Let's roll another joint" to make joint sound like "tnioj".   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Pissed off could not be said and since the 90s it was even said on Law and Order by Benjamin Bratt in one of his episodes he starred in.

Also the classification of Black can't be used anymore thanks to two nameless phony reverends who say its politically incorrect and racist even though many Africans I know, who are very pro Obama and anti Trump have no issues being called Blacks whatsoever.

However TV must comply with the same brass who owns the news.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

What really bugs me (no pun intended) is that all of these Bible-Thumpin' TV watchdogs who thought a kid was gonna turn into a criminal by watching "violent" Bugs Bunny/Road Runner/Tom & Jerry cartoons.  Yet I don't know of too many murderers (etal) said they got their ideas from watching Saturday Morning Cartoons.

These TV policing groups got all these cartoons edited or banned, yet the real problem at that time (and still is to a degree) was the Music/MTV videos of gansta rappers, Madonna-ish slut puppies, and violent video games (that put "firepower" into their hands) which corrupted the young minds and bred future criminals far more than animation ever did. 

bing101

Henry

Quote from: thenetwork on July 17, 2017, 06:28:53 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 17, 2017, 10:20:56 AM
Quote from: Takumi on July 16, 2017, 07:55:02 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 16, 2017, 04:37:22 PM
Not TV, but just heard Money For Nothing by Dire Straits on the radio.  Now, most stations edit the second verse because it contains 3 instances of the British word for cigarette.  Yet, Ill regularly hear the other F word unedited when I hear Who Are You? by The Who.
To my knowledge, WKLR in Richmond does the opposite. Who Are You is censored and Money For Nothing still has cigarettes.
What about the Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner and Pink Floyd's Money? Both songs mention BS in their lyrics, although the former is often edited to "funky stuff"; I don't know about the latter.

I thought the edited version of "Jet Airliner" said "Funky Kicks going down in the city"???
You're exactly right; I momentarily forgot what it said, probably because it's been a while since the last time I heard it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

spooky

Law&Order (both the original and SVU) have instances where the f-word (the gay slur, not the one for fornication) is used. Both shows are re-run on several networks; some censor the word, some do not.

Desert Man

Both TV and radio are subject to content regulations, standards and practices. Avoidance of graphic, controversial, non-kid-friendly, offensive, sensitive and "taboo" subjects is the norm. With PC-ness, the term "ghetto" like "that's so gay", "retarded", "redneck" and "illegals" are deemed hate speech of some kind. Like this song from the 1970s, the world is a a ghetto by the multiracial band War - white, black, Latino and Native American members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKKMdmPBWRk
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

english si

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 16, 2017, 04:37:22 PM3 instances of the British word for cigarette.
You mean bundle of sticks, or ball of offal.

The word for cigarettes only has the first three letters.

roadman65

Quote from: Desert Man on July 18, 2017, 12:39:55 PM
Both TV and radio are subject to content regulations, standards and practices. Avoidance of graphic, controversial, non-kid-friendly, offensive, sensitive and "taboo" subjects is the norm. With PC-ness, the term "ghetto" like "that's so gay", "retarded", "redneck" and "illegals" are deemed hate speech of some kind. Like this song from the 1970s, the world is a a ghetto by the multiracial band War - white, black, Latino and Native American members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKKMdmPBWRk
Good Times used ghetto alot. That was a social class sitcom of the 70s that had a African American ensemble too.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

thenetwork

OracleUsr

Speaking of radio cuts, does any radio station play the full version of "Killing in the Name of" or "The Bartender Song" with the original lyrics?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

1995hoo

Quote from: english si on July 18, 2017, 06:21:54 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 16, 2017, 04:37:22 PM3 instances of the British word for cigarette.

I recall Mr Brains were fighting with Facebook because the latter would not allow them to refer to their product by name.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Many Mike & Molly reruns (mostly from the earlier seasons) censor certain offensive words (such as bitch, getting laid and masturbation) with ellipses in their captioning. Similarly, NYPD Blue does the same thing with a series of X's along with the audible muting out of the word.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tchafe1978

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 19, 2017, 07:07:45 AM
Speaking of radio cuts, does any radio station play the full version of "Killing in the Name of" or "The Bartender Song" with the original lyrics?
I've heard Killing In the Name on radio both with the final verse completely cut out and with the final verse included the the F word cut. But it's been awhile since I've heard the latter version.

LGL56VL

Stephane Dumas

I don't think this movie would had been made today. O_o You can be sure then lots of trigglypuffs and snowflakes will do a big uproar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSrGWUyMuI

Desert Man

In 2017, American TV tolerates two animated sitcoms (FOX's Family Guy and Comedy Central's South Park) are full of racist, anti-semitic, sexist and homophobic jokes, references to welfare poor people and "cripples" (the physically disabled), and crude, juvenile, toilet and shock humor. Imagine as recently as 20-25 years ago, the FCC wouldn't allow MTV's Beavis and Butthead known for the character's criminality, and FOX's the Simpsons which has dark, negative and pessimistic satire, to get away with much gross or un-PC material on the air or advertisers dare to sponsor these comedies. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

GCrites

OK, do British people really call cigarettes "biscuits" or is that just something they tell Americans because we don't know they're taking the piss?

Takumi

Quote from: GCrites80s on July 23, 2017, 05:40:15 PM

OK, do British people really call cigarettes "bundles of sticks" or is that just something they tell Americans because we don't know they're taking the piss?
They really do.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

In 1985 when Rodney Dangerfield came out in Back To School, he made that appearance walking across the school campus wearing a bathrobe over his swim suit claiming he did not like to change clothes in front of other guys for fear of being pinned to a guy name Steve. 

Now to feature that in film would be considered a homophobic remark and would not even be at all as humorous as jokes about the alternative lifestyles used to be.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2017, 02:12:17 PM
7-word catchphrase from one particular Seinfeld episode: "Not that there's anything WRONG with that!"
GPS does NOT equal GOD

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

R. Budd Dwyer's public suicide being broadcast uncensored.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

nexus73

"Johnny Quest" lasted one season.  It was cancelled for being too violent.  Even "Old TV" from the Sixties had its limits.  The Smothers Brothers got KO'ed by social conservative PC types.  Oh well, we did get "Laugh-In", which set the table nicely for the original SNL. 

"South Park" surprises me by hanging in there during these oh-so-PC times. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.