News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

The point of All In The Family was totally different.  The creators made up an unrealistic characture of what was then called Nixon's "silent majority" and then exposed him and his supporting cast to sounds true but the facts are changed just enough from the real world to make him and his ideas seem rediculious. 

It was about condesention and ridicule.  As such it has been remade and reworked in 100s of shows since.

Rothman

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 28, 2017, 07:38:12 PM
If anybody has seen the 1990-1991 series of Twin Peaks, there's a lot of stuff that'd never be allowed today on that show.
Like what?  If anything, shows have become more controversial, not less. The old Twin Peaks pales in comparison (Season 3 is different, though, and has had its share of nudity and sex).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dvferyance

Quote from: thenetwork on August 24, 2017, 09:50:39 PM
Quote from: US71 on August 24, 2017, 02:05:48 PM
Quote from: formulanone on August 24, 2017, 01:58:10 PM
You can't put much of anything on the narrow widths of a modern TV today: cable boxes, remotes, TV Guides, an antenna, a vase...

For all the "they couldn't get away with that today" talk, things like bloodshed, farting, explicit language, and penis-size innuendos wouldn't have been allowed on network TV 25-30 years ago.

Funny how it all balances out.

"Network" TV, not much.  Cable/Satellite push the envelope much further.

Obviously, you haven't seen Family Feud over the last 5 years.  Pretty much every other survey has "penis" as an answer, or some sort of crude humor answer.  Sad part of it all is this is why you can find episodes and reruns of Steve Harvey hosted episodes for no less than 8 hours a day across local TV and cable channels.
That answer was given back when Louie Anderson was hosting it. That is nothing new.

Stephane Dumas

cjk374

You really don't see any slap-stick comedy anymore. Such a shame.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Stephane Dumas

roadman65

NCIS
Quote from: cjk374 on September 04, 2017, 09:31:08 AM
You really don't see any slap-stick comedy anymore. Such a shame.
NCIS with Gibbs smacking Dinozzo on the back of the head was on rather recently airing that running feature.  Now I think he does it to McGee now that Dinozzo is gone from the show.

Quote from: SP Cook on August 29, 2017, 01:15:29 PM
The point of All In The Family was totally different.  The creators made up an unrealistic characture of what was then called Nixon's "silent majority" and then exposed him and his supporting cast to sounds true but the facts are changed just enough from the real world to make him and his ideas seem rediculious. 

It was about condesention and ridicule.  As such it has been remade and reworked in 100s of shows since.
The Meathead Character was based on Norman Lear himself and Archie was based on his real dad.  Lear had a relationship similar to Meathead and Archie with his own father and wanted to show the world how a child can be smarter than his parents. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 10, 2017, 07:18:02 PM
The 1983 Inspector Gadget cartoon showed her niece Penny in various perils and often being the damsel in distress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJm5WVYIMNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9_43asAIAA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aAiLZkPW0Lk

The 1987 edition of Ducktales showed Webby as a damsel in distress

But in the 2017 edition of Ducktales the current management had to change her into the lead explorer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu0kqEN2iFk

In the 1987 edition of Ducktales that show was originally a parody of Indiana Jones in a cartoon. The 2017 Ducktales includes jokes of people who like to yell conspiracy theories.

Max Rockatansky

Anyone else remember when Mario saying that drug users would go to Hell before they die?

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 08, 2017, 11:21:28 PM
Anyone else remember when Mario saying that drug users would go to Hell before they die?

I didn't saw that one, I remember more the PSA one with Pee-Wee Herman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agT2GVNQjao

Takumi

"Before"  being the key word here.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Henry

As long as Bob Barker is alive, he will not allow certain episodes of The Price is Right to be shown on the air, mainly those with fur coats and other animal-based products, due to his ongoing animal rights cause. Maybe this is why not even the BUZZR game show channel has gotten around to airing his show at the moment.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on October 09, 2017, 10:11:42 AM

Exactly....Mario and Ronnie Reagan were $@%in around with War on Drugs.  :-o

Jontron actually did a review all the good 80s Drug PSAs awhile back.

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 09, 2017, 10:31:21 AM

Drugs are bad mmmkay

Z981

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on October 09, 2017, 02:47:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 09, 2017, 10:31:21 AM

Drugs are bad mmmkay

Z981

But which are good?  Which are bad?

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: roadman65 on July 17, 2017, 09:53:25 PM
Pissed off could not be said and since the 90s it was even said on Law and Order by Benjamin Bratt in one of his episodes he starred in.

Also the classification of Black can't be used anymore thanks to two nameless phony reverends who say its politically incorrect and racist even though many Africans I know, who are very pro Obama and anti Trump have no issues being called Blacks whatsoever.

However TV must comply with the same brass who owns the news.
Really. Then what do you call Blacks from Africa, The Caribbean or Europe?

P00I

Otto Yamamoto

Stephane Dumas

There was on and off-talks of a new Police Academy movie (I don't know if it'll be PA8 or a reboot of the franchise). And in PA1, PA2, PA3 and PA4, there was these scene involving the Blue Oyster bar, could you imagine doing these scenes today?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3m2ATiomY

bing101

Yes WABC-TV's Eyewitness News 1984.
I don't think the phrase Tom Snyder said "Pussycat" would be used that much on TV or even on YouTube at this point though. See the start of the video.

bing101

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ix53Yyp1-Fc

1-900 numbers that used to exist in the 1980's and 1990's but that got replaced quickly with the tweets of celebs though.

Scott5114

Quote from: bing101 on October 15, 2017, 10:38:02 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwIGxrunFE

I don't the phrase Tom Snyder said "Pussycat" would be used that much on TV or even on YouTube at this point though. See the start of the video.

I don't think any news director would allow their weatherman to draw the forecast on the back side of a sheet of Plexiglas anymore now that you can just chromakey a computer graphic behind the weatherman (or even put it on a big video wall, as several stations in OKC are doing now). Wonder how long that guy had to practice writing backward...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 06:06:48 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwIGxrunFE

I don't the phrase Tom Snyder said "Pussycat" would be used that much on TV or even on YouTube at this point though. See the start of the video.

I don't think any news director would allow their weatherman to draw the forecast on the back side of a sheet of Plexiglas anymore now that you can just chromakey a computer graphic behind the weatherman (or even put it on a big video wall, as several stations in OKC are doing now). Wonder how long that guy had to practice writing backward...

And before that, they used such things as chalkboards and those black felt things that one would stick letters and numbers into their paralleling horizontal grooves.  Also South Park-like 'construction' paper cutouts on a basic map base.

Mike

Scott5114

In fact, just looking at the screenshot without the video, I thought he was writing the temperature onto a chalkboard below him and out-of-frame, and it was being luminescence-keyed over him, which would have been cool enough. (Luminescence-keying is more or less the same as chroma-keying, except instead of keying out a particular color, you're keying out black. It was used a lot to superimpose graphics before Chyrons and such were invented. The original flashing light border around the screen at the beginning of The Price is Right, for instance, was an actual physical string of lights around a black square in the middle that was keyed over top of the camera feed.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 06:06:48 AMI don't think any news director would allow their weatherman to draw the forecast on the back side of a sheet of Plexiglas anymore now that you can just chromakey a computer graphic behind the weatherman (or even put it on a big video wall, as several stations in OKC are doing now). Wonder how long that guy had to practice writing backward...

Back in the 1960s. the weather person for WSPD-TV in Toledo used to do the plexiglas thing live on the street in front of its downtown studios.  On one such broadcast, a new person was substituting for the regular guy.  When you're on live TV, that is not the time to discover you cannot write backwards!  :-D
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

allniter89

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwIGxrunFE :-

That reminds me of an urban legend about the old Tonight Show. Johnnys guest was Zsa Zsa Gabor or one of the Gabor sisters, who cares? Anyway ZsaZSa was holding her cat in her lap talking to Johnny. ZsaZ sa asked Johny if he'd like to pet her pussy, Johnny said "I would if you'd move that damn cat."  :-D :-D :spin: :clap:
https://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/zsazsa.asp
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.