News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona Loop 303

Started by Alex, November 27, 2009, 12:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Recession pushes back Loop 303 timeline in West Valley

QuoteMAG shelved plans to extend Loop 303 south of Interstate 10 to Arizona 801.

The 801, a planned freeway paralleling the south side of I-10 near Buckeye, also was pushed back.

Still, Loop 303 should connect I-10 to Interstate 17 in 2012 and five years later grow into a six-lane, limited access freeway.

Although that work won't be completed until 2017, Loop 303's connection between I-10 and I-17 in just two years is a good starting point to provide through-access...

Plutonic Panda

Loop 303 extension is moving forward:

QuoteThe Arizona Department of Transportation is hosting two public meetings next week on the new 4-mile extension of the Loop 303.

This extension will bring the existing Loop 303 from Van Buren Street south to MC 85 and the future State Route 30, which could connect to the Loop 202 if built out. ADOT is planning to give presentations on the project and allow time for questions and comments.

- https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/05/05/loop-303-goodyear-phoenix-extension-adot.html

It says it could be extended to loop 202. While that would be great, are there any maps of conceptual routes it could take? I'm having a hard time seeing where it could go.

brad2971

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 06, 2023, 10:39:55 AM
Loop 303 extension is moving forward:

QuoteThe Arizona Department of Transportation is hosting two public meetings next week on the new 4-mile extension of the Loop 303.

This extension will bring the existing Loop 303 from Van Buren Street south to MC 85 and the future State Route 30, which could connect to the Loop 202 if built out. ADOT is planning to give presentations on the project and allow time for questions and comments.

- https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2023/05/05/loop-303-goodyear-phoenix-extension-adot.html

It says it could be extended to loop 202. While that would be great, are there any maps of conceptual routes it could take? I'm having a hard time seeing where it could go.

What they mean by that is Loop 303 would connect via SR 30 (aka I-10 reliever). And the concept for SR 30 is to follow the general footprint of MC85/Lower Buckeye Rd from SR 85 to Loop 202.

Plutonic Panda

Holy mackerel. I had no idea about those plans. Thanks for posting that. Is that something likely to happen? It sure would be a great asset to have in the event of backups on I-10 which seem to happen fairly regularly. They're planning a full on new freeway from 303 to I-17 with a massive stack interchange at the 202 with HOV connectors. That would be a very an expensive endeavor. I hope it happens.

The Ghostbuster

If the proposed Interstate 11 Hassayampa Freeway is constructed, how many miles to the south would it be from proposed AZ 30?

Sonic99

Quote from: Zonie on May 09, 2023, 05:11:01 PM
Ironically, it looks similar to this:

https://arizonaroads.com/pics/urban1957plan2.jpg

I love how closely this proposed SR 30 resembles the original I-10 layout from 60+ years ago. Too bad the original bridges on I-17 at the Durango Curve are long since buried in dirt or removed. I personally wouldn't mind seeing it reconfigured where SR30 continues over to the current I-10/I-17 split and I-17 ends at the 30.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Sonic99 on May 09, 2023, 08:54:32 PM
I love how closely this proposed SR 30 resembles the original I-10 layout from 60+ years ago. Too bad the original bridges on I-17 at the Durango Curve are long since buried in dirt or removed. I personally wouldn't mind seeing it reconfigured where SR30 continues over to the current I-10/I-17 split and I-17 ends at the 30.

Since it's supposed to be an "I-10 reliever," there would be no point in building it unless it runs between the Durango Curve and I-10 west of Buckeye.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Sonic99

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on May 09, 2023, 10:16:16 PM

Since it's supposed to be an "I-10 reliever," there would be no point in building it unless it runs between the Durango Curve and I-10 west of Buckeye.

I could see them using it as a "southern bypass" around South Mountain though and using that as the reconnection with I-10 in Chandler as their "reliever", not necessarily dumping into the Inner Loop.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

ztonyg

Quote from: Zonie on May 09, 2023, 05:11:01 PM
Ironically, it looks similar to this:

https://arizonaroads.com/pics/urban1957plan2.jpg

In my fantasy land I'd route I-10 along the SR 30 alignment and make the I-10 Papago and Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeways part of a newly created I-410. The Loop 202 Santan and Red Mountain Freeways would be I-610. There's precedent for 3DIs changing numbers at a US route (I-280 and 680 do it in San Jose at US 101). I-17 would end at the AZ 30 (or I-10 in my scenario) interchange and the "mini-stack" would be converted to a normal stack interchange where thru traffic travels straight through the interchange (as opposed to at a 90 degree angle). The "stub" from the mini-stack to the I-10 Maricopa segment would be an extention of AZ 51.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.