News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-68 Going to 70 MPH in Maryland Beginning 10/1

Started by MASTERNC, September 30, 2015, 04:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

Hopefully not the only road getting the bump, but it's the most obvious first step.

http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Pages/release.aspx?newsId=2369

QuoteDrivers traveling on Interstate 68 in Western Maryland will save a little time thanks to a new 70 mph speed limit on the highway.  Beginning October 1, the maximum speed limit in the State increases from 65 mph to 70 mph. The new law allows the Maryland Department of Transportation's State Highway Administration (SHA) to raise highway speed limits up to 70 mph on select roadways.

Governor Hogan signed the new maximum speed limit law following the 2015 legislative session. Supporters of the law noted numerous highways in adjacent states, including West Virginia and Virginia, are posted at 70 mph and that Maryland highways should be consistent.

SHA engineers carefully evaluated the I-68 corridor and determined that the majority of the interstate could be changed to 70 mph. I-68 is an east-west highway stretching 80 miles from its western border at the Garrett County/West Virginia Line to its connection with I-70 in Washington County. The average daily traffic on I-68 ranges from 12,232 near US 219 to 46,562 in Cumberland. SHA will keep the current speed limit, ranging from 40 mph to 65 mph, on a 7-mile segment between LaVale and Cumberland. This segment has hills and curves that preclude a higher speed limit.

"While the increase is only five miles more per hour, when traveling long distances on an interstate, drivers can save a little time,"  said State Highway Administrator Gregory Johnson, P.E.  "We set speed limits based on roadway design and driver behavior. Increasing the speed limit can enhance safety by reducing aggressive driving and the variance in motorists' speeds."

SHA crews will place overlays with "70"  mph on existing signs along the I-68 corridor beginning tomorrow.  Maryland State Police will enforce the new speed limit immediately following the change.  Drivers should be aware that the increased maximum speed limit should be obeyed or they face fines and possible points on their licenses.

SHA will study other 65 mph highways for potential increases to 70 mph. Traffic engineers evaluate and set speed limits based on several factors including crash data, traffic volume, concentration of truck traffic, actual average speeds, and roadway conditions such as lane width, presence and width of shoulders, hills/grades, alignments and curves.

TheOneKEA

Well, it looks like my prediction was right. It will be interesting to see if there is an immediate drop in the AADT through Breezewood a year from now, and it will be interesting to see what the new 85th percentile speed actually becomes on those longgggg grades.

I think the next highway to get 70mph will be I-70 between MP 60 and MP 82.

SteveG1988

Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 30, 2015, 04:45:42 PM
Well, it looks like my prediction was right. It will be interesting to see if there is an immediate drop in the AADT through Breezewood a year from now, and it will be interesting to see what the new 85th percentile speed actually becomes on those longgggg grades.

I think the next highway to get 70mph will be I-70 between MP 60 and MP 82.

I don't see much traffic changing. The speed through the grades will still be an issue for every semi on that road.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

TravelingBethelite

Well, good for me, I'm going yonder in about 10 days, good for me. I personally think it would make the semi problem worse, due to increased speed and thus higher inertia, less effective breaks, etc, but that's just me.  :-/
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Bitmapped

I drive I-68 regularly. MDSHA's plans make sense. I'll be curious to see the exact cutoffs they use around Cumberland and LaVale. It'd be ideal if they just use the transitions to 55 that are there now, but it's not clear from the press release if there will still be some 65 zone in there or not.

I don't expect traffic counts or actual travel speeds to change too much.

noelbotevera

My two cents would be to have 70 MPH speed limits - if West Virginia cooperates, all of I-68 in West Virginia to Grantsville - then 65 between Grantsville to Frostburg, 70 from Frostburg to Cumberland, 60 through Cumberland, then 70 again from Cumberland to Hancock.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Bitmapped

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 30, 2015, 09:16:25 PM
My two cents would be to have 70 MPH speed limits - if West Virginia cooperates, all of I-68 in West Virginia to Grantsville - then 65 between Grantsville to Frostburg, 70 from Frostburg to Cumberland, 60 through Cumberland, then 70 again from Cumberland to Hancock.

All of I-68 in WV is already 70. There's no reason for a lowered speed limit between Grantsville and Frostburg.

A 60mph speed limit on the Cumberland viaduct wouldn't even be safe.

Rothman

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 30, 2015, 10:11:12 PM

I don't know about this.  There are some very tight on and off ramps through there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2015, 10:30:23 PM

I don't know about this.  There are some very tight on and off ramps through there.

I predict 0 changes to that. What i would like to see is the truck limit on the 13 mile eastbound drop to Cumberland raised to 55 mph from 45. The cops love to catch trucks with smoking breaks at the bottom ,or ones that speed.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

davewiecking

This stretch does have some crazy ramps and no shoulders. Existing 40 mph seems quite appropriate.

noelbotevera

All of I-68 in WV is already 70. There's no reason for a lowered speed limit between Grantsville and Frostburg.

Doesn't I-68 go up some mountains between Grantsville and Cumberland? if I'm wrong, then 70 from Grantsville to Cumberland.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SteveG1988

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 01, 2015, 09:17:55 PM

Doesn't I-68 go up some mountains between Grantsville and Cumberland? if I'm wrong, then 70 from Grantsville to Cumberland.

At least 8
Roads Clinched

Bitmapped

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 01, 2015, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on October 01, 2015, 09:17:55 PM

At least 8

Grades and alignment between Grantsville and Frostburg or LaVale aren't any worse than anywhere else on I-68. West of LaVale, I-68 is a modern Interstate that can support 70mph travel.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: davewiecking on October 01, 2015, 01:43:56 AM

This stretch does have some crazy ramps and no shoulders. Existing 40 mph seems quite appropriate.

The 40 MPH section is short, the eastbound side is at the bottom of a long descent from Md. 546 at Finzel in Garrett County, and there is that sharp curve to the left for eastbound movements at the end of the descent. 

IMO, keep I-68 at 40 MPH through Cumberland.  Unless it gets a total reconstruction, which is not likely anytime soon.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mattpedersen

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2015, 09:15:34 AM

The 40 MPH section is short, the eastbound side is at the bottom of a long descent from Md. 546 at Finzel in Garrett County, and there is that sharp curve to the left for eastbound movements at the end of the descent. 

IMO, keep I-68 at 40 MPH through Cumberland.  Unless it gets a total reconstruction, which is not likely anytime soon.
The Cumberland Thruway was built at a time when no one dreamed of an interstate highway being built in the panhandle. I think it would be more likely a bypass of Frostburg and Cumberland being built to the north of the two cities, and that's going to be highly unlikely.

I will be driving up to Garrett County from downstate on Wednesday, and I will report my findings, maybe even snap a photo or two.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mattpedersen on October 02, 2015, 11:39:14 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2015, 09:15:34 AM

The Cumberland Thruway was built at a time when no one dreamed of an interstate highway being built in the panhandle.

Absolutely correct. I think it dates to the 1960's (it is not on the SRC 1960 map, but it is present on the 1970 edition, along with showing U.S. 48 (I-68 now) under construction from the West Virginia border to Md. 53 (also Truck U.S. 220 today), and I believe it was an effort to get some through U.S. 40 and U.S. 220 traffic off of Cumberland's streets. 

Wonder if it was called a Thruway because the concept was similar the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway, which did remove a lot of traffic from Baltimore City streets when it opened in 1957?

QuoteI think it would be more likely a bypass of Frostburg and Cumberland being built to the north of the two cities, and that's going to be highly unlikely.

And given the terrain involved, very expensive.

QuoteI will be driving up to Garrett County from downstate on Wednesday, and I will report my findings, maybe even snap a photo or two.

Great!  Watch out for the deer on I-68.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Also keep an eye out for cops in Garrett County.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2015, 06:18:02 PM

Only occasionally have I seen much speed limit enforcement on I-68, and more in Allegany County (MSP, Allegany County SO and the Cumberland municipal police on the 40 MPH section); than on the (short) eastern section in Washington County (never) or the relatively long section across Garrett County (MSP a few times, never the Garrett County SO).

TravelingBethelite

Is there [even] much traffic on the Cumberland Viaduct [this time of year]?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2015, 07:29:00 PM

Only occasionally have I seen much speed limit enforcement on I-68, and more in Allegany County (MSP, Allegany County SO and the Cumberland municipal police on the 40 MPH section); than on the (short) eastern section in Washington County (never) or the relatively long section across Garrett County (MSP a few times, never the Garrett County SO).

Me either, but my brother uses that road a lot more often than I do and says he's seen a lot of enforcement and his friends have had issues with the cops there. I figured it couldn't hurt to pass on the warning, at least–the cops might put on an initial show after the speed limit rises and then back off afterwards.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2015, 07:37:06 PM

Me either, but my brother uses that road a lot more often than I do and says he's seen a lot of enforcement and his friends have had issues with the cops there. I figured it couldn't hurt to pass on the warning, at least–the cops might put on an initial show after the speed limit rises and then back off afterwards.

I've passed a speed trap in Friendsville (Garrett County) more than once and there's little mystery as to why.  The exit there sits in a ravine and cops pull people over who don't watch their speed coming downhill.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Not sure which county or counties I was in, but the whole stretch from Cumberland to the WV state line was crawling with cops on my recent return trip from Annapolis.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2015, 11:22:49 PM

Not sure which county or counties I was in, but the whole stretch from Cumberland to the WV state line was crawling with cops on my recent return trip from Annapolis.

Washington County starting out from I-70; Allegany County from a point just west of the Sideling Hill cut to most of the way up the mountain just before the eastbound truck weigh/inspection station (between Frostburg and Finzel), then Garrett County to the West Virginia line, when you enter Preston County.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2015, 05:51:23 PM

Absolutely correct. I think it dates to the 1960's (it is not on the SRC 1960 map, but it is present on the 1970 edition, along with showing U.S. 48 (I-68 now) under construction from the West Virginia border to Md. 53 (also Truck U.S. 220 today), and I believe it was an effort to get some through U.S. 40 and U.S. 220 traffic off of Cumberland's streets. 

Wonder if it was called a Thruway because the concept was similar the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway, which did remove a lot of traffic from Baltimore City streets when it opened in 1957?

Most of the bridges on I-68 through central Cumberland are dated 1968

Mike

SteveG1988

Quote from: Rothman on October 02, 2015, 09:05:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 02, 2015, 07:37:06 PM

I've passed a speed trap in Friendsville (Garrett County) more than once and there's little mystery as to why.  The exit there sits in a ravine and cops pull people over who don't watch their speed coming downhill.
Quote from: hbelkins on October 02, 2015, 11:22:49 PM

As a truck driver i can tell you what they are there for.

They want to catch a semi doing just over the speed limit, coming down a hill, because that is a BIG ticket.

They will look for smoking brakes, since they know they can get a DOT inspection on that truck and fail it, which is another big ticket.

The 13 mile eastbound downhill stretch going into cumberland is a STRICT 45mph for trucks, 55mph for cars. Try keeping a truck with a gross weight of 78,000 lbs doing 45mph, and not overusing your jake brake due to the fact that a lot of places have laws against use of them. I had a hub seal blow out due to coming down that hill without using the jake brake enough. If a cop was at the bottom, he would have seen the smoke from the oil hitting the brake and caught me.

In short, Maryland cops are always out to get tickets on roads they view are easy pickins, people don't judge their speed, trucks have trouble keeping the lower speeds they set due to their weight and the noise laws.
Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.