News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

Quote from: froggie on March 14, 2014, 04:16:47 PM

Environmentally wrong because A) clear-cutting of forests (one of the things some want to do) basically eliminates wildlife habitat, especially in acidic soil such as what they have.

Really? You do realize that every square inch of the entire state of WV, save for Catherdral State Park, has been clear cut at least twice, most three or more times.

Yet, still plenty of wildlife.  In fact, more today than ever. 

Extremist hysteria is no substitute for critical thinking.

froggie

QuoteHow much induced demand do you estimate will occur if and when Corridor H is completed?

Not enough to warrant 4 lanes.

QuoteExtremist hysteria is no substitute for critical thinking.

If we were truly doing critical thinking, we wouldn't have put a dime into Corridor H because the traffic level just doesn't justify the expense.  I have always maintained that the traffic volume is not sufficient to warrant the cost of this project.  If West Virginia wants it built?  They should fund it themselves, especially since they reap the vast majority of purputed benefits.  The environmental ramifications are only secondary.

hbelkins

Quote from: dave19 on March 15, 2014, 09:42:00 PM
I wonder why they installed rusted guardrail on the most recently opened section.

It's on the whole eastern portion. Probably a nod to the scenic nature of the highway.

Quote from: froggie on March 16, 2014, 12:32:43 PM
If we were truly doing critical thinking, we wouldn't have put a dime into Corridor H because the traffic level just doesn't justify the expense.  I have always maintained that the traffic volume is not sufficient to warrant the cost of this project.  If West Virginia wants it built?  They should fund it themselves, especially since they reap the vast majority of purputed benefits.

Couldn't the same be said about many, if not most of the other ARC corridors? I can think of a number of others that are pretty lightly traveled. The concept of the Appalachian system wasn't centered on traffic volumes. It was built around economic development and improving accessibility. Most of the other corridors involved improving existing through routes (US 23, US 119, etc.). This is one of the few that involves a lot of new terrain construction over a string of routes that isn't a logical corridor. The convoluted US 119-US 25E-TN 63 and KY 80-KY 90-KY 61-TN 53-TN 56-unbuilt connector to Cookeville-TN 111 corridors followed routes that few would consider to be direct alignments, but they improved existing roads, more to the benefit of communities along the route rather than through traffic. (Not too many people are going to go from Chattanooga to London via Cookeville and Burkesville).

Cue SPUI and his "but it's still closer to take 79 and 68 through Morgantown and Hancock" comment, but Corridor H will still be a better route from Kentucky and West Virginia and other locations in this area to DC, with less traffic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

QuoteHow much induced demand do you estimate will occur if and when Corridor H is completed?

Though "sprawl" was a reason touted in opposition to the project.  The opponents cannot have it both ways, yet that is what they have tried to do.

I have long suspected that people with money from the D.C. area were opposed to the project, but have only recently noticed that one of the plaintiff parties in the Clinton Administration-era federal lawsuit against Corridor H was something called Reynolds Estates Landowners, with address in Springfield, Fairfax County, Va. Why would someone located in Fairfax County (conveniently close to Va. 286, the Fairfax County Parkway) be a party to a federal lawsuit against a highway mostly in West Virginia?

Quote from: hbelkins on March 16, 2014, 01:30:50 PM
Couldn't the same be said about many, if not most of the other ARC corridors? I can think of a number of others that are pretty lightly traveled. The concept of the Appalachian system wasn't centered on traffic volumes. It was built around economic development and improving accessibility. Most of the other corridors involved improving existing through routes (US 23, US 119, etc.). This is one of the few that involves a lot of new terrain construction over a string of routes that isn't a logical corridor. The convoluted US 119-US 25E-TN 63 and KY 80-KY 90-KY 61-TN 53-TN 56-unbuilt connector to Cookeville-TN 111 corridors followed routes that few would consider to be direct alignments, but they improved existing roads, more to the benefit of communities along the route rather than through traffic. (Not too many people are going to go from Chattanooga to London via Cookeville and Burkesville).

It is (or should be, in my opinion) a national priority to connect residents of these areas (and their land) to the national transportation network - and that means highways better than existing U.S. 50, U.S. 219, U.S. 33 and U.S. 250 (I suspect that both Adam, H.B. and many readers of this forum are familiar with all of them).

Perhaps I am going too far in use of rhetoric, but did anyone suggest that Corridor G between Pikeville, Kentucky and Charleston, West Virginia should not have been built?  Or that it should have been built as two-lane undivided?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mtfallsmikey

Bump.... Anybody been out to Bismarck to see how construction is going lately? I have not been up there since President's Day.

mtfallsmikey

bluecountry

QuoteExtremist hysteria is no substitute for critical thinking.

If we were truly doing critical thinking, we wouldn't have put a dime into Corridor H because the traffic level just doesn't justify the expense.  I have always maintained that the traffic volume is not sufficient to warrant the cost of this project.  If West Virginia wants it built?  They should fund it themselves, especially since they reap the vast majority of purputed benefits.  The environmental ramifications are only secondary.
You are 100% correct.  This is a clear waste of limited resources that would much be better spent repairing exisiting infrastructure and leaving the backwoods alone.
There are enough through routes and the population in Eastern WV is extremely sparse.
They need, if anything, better schools and health care, not mega roads

hbelkins

Once again, someone fails to grasp the concept of the Appalachian Development Highway System.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2014, 12:24:10 PM
Once again, someone fails to grasp the concept of the Appalachian Development Highway System.

Agreed.

As a senior staff member with a state highway agency in one of the ADHS states told me, as far as he was concerned, the purpose of the ADHS network is to induce demand.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

In addition, it was designed to be a system, like the interstate system, not a collection of individual roads.

mtantillo

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2014, 09:33:55 PM
In addition, it was designed to be a system, like the interstate system, not a collection of individual roads.

And coupled with the Interstate system in those states, it actually makes a pretty decent, cohesive system. Corridor H is a big "missing gap" in that system.

seicer

Despite the advent of the corridors in West Virginia, the state is still near bottom of the list for healthcare, education and nearly every metric for economic well being. It may be used, but it hasn't exactly brought prosperity.

SP Cook

The ARC, and more broadly the entire social program system of that era, is made up of two things.  A few things such as the corridors, forced consolidation of lower education, improvements to higher education, which alleviate poverty, and the rest of it (give away programs that make work optional) that cause it. 

Do not make the mistake of confusing one with the other.

seicer

Had to drive on the newest segment of Corridor H Saturday. An access road leads from WV 93/42 to Corridor H and down the Allegheny Front. There is an overlook going eastbound of the Lunice Creek valley and beyond. Other than the power and gas lines marring the otherwise unspoiled landscape, it's a great view: http://goo.gl/maps/9hA5K

The segment between US 219 and WV 93/42 is well under construction. Most of the eastbound lanes have been poured and traffic will shift to those lanes while the westbound lanes are graded and constructed.

1995hoo

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 05, 2014, 10:43:21 AM
Had to drive on the newest segment of Corridor H Saturday. An access road leads from WV 93/42 to Corridor H and down the Allegheny Front. There is an overlook going eastbound of the Lunice Creek valley and beyond. Other than the power and gas lines marring the otherwise unspoiled landscape, it's a great view: http://goo.gl/maps/9hA5K

The segment between US 219 and WV 93/42 is well under construction. Most of the eastbound lanes have been poured and traffic will shift to those lanes while the westbound lanes are graded and constructed.

Where on 219 is it supposed to emerge? If you zoom in close enough, you can find Google Maps showing a route passing just on the northern edge of Davis, but their routing looks speculative to me because it shows a long route through the parkland west of there and I was under the impression no route through that area had been selected. Hence, it makes me skeptical of the accuracy of their map of the planned route east of that area.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

seicer

Pretty much right here: http://goo.gl/maps/HHCkF

To the east, it closely hugs the existing alignment due to the prevalence of the Canaan Valley NWR. To the west, it swings up due to the nearby state parks and geological features.

1995hoo

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 05, 2014, 11:15:12 AM
Pretty much right here: http://goo.gl/maps/HHCkF

To the east, it closely hugs the existing alignment due to the prevalence of the Canaan Valley NWR. To the west, it swings up due to the nearby state parks and geological features.

OK, so it is about where Google Maps shows. Thanks. I drove on the then-entire eastern portion of Corridor H this past July (prior to the opening of the segment down the Allegheny Front), but we were coming south from Fallingwater and so approached down WV-42 from US-50 rather than from the direction of Davis and Thomas, hence why I haven't seen where it's due to emerge. I've been trying to find an excuse to get back out there some weekend but haven't found the time recently.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

seicer

Fall colors start changing in about two weeks and peak out by early to mid October, depending on elevation. Dolly Sods is always a must-see for the vistas. Canaan Valley for the wetlands and wildlife. Blackwater Falls for the ... waterfalls (there are 3). And of course, all of the awesome locally owned restaurants and shops in Thomas and Davis.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 05, 2014, 02:29:56 PM
Fall colors start changing in about two weeks and peak out by early to mid October, depending on elevation. Dolly Sods is always a must-see for the vistas. Canaan Valley for the wetlands and wildlife. Blackwater Falls for the ... waterfalls (there are 3). And of course, all of the awesome locally owned restaurants and shops in Thomas and Davis.

Going to try for a look-see along Corridor H and also turn back and check out the (now repaired) Oldtown low-water toll bridge this weekend.

oscar

Quote from: dave19 on October 21, 2014, 10:26:52 PM
http://www.wboy.com/

Interesting TV station call sign -- counterpart to Pennsylvania's WGAL. 

Looks like it's time to pencil in another pre-Thanksgiving road trip out there.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

mtfallsmikey

Was up there last weekend, the interchange at Rt. 93 not quite ready, paving done. Foliage was near peak. Saw a W.V. State Trooper near Moorefield, first one I've ever seen on the road.

machpost

Quote from: mtfallsmikey on October 27, 2014, 10:56:49 AM
Was up there last weekend, the interchange at Rt. 93 not quite ready, paving done. Foliage was near peak. Saw a W.V. State Trooper near Moorefield, first one I've ever seen on the road.

For folks traveling the remaining 2-lane portion of Route 93 between Bismarck and Davis, I've been advised that the 45 MPH speed limit is being heavily enforced, with tickets being issued for exceeding that speed by as little as 2-3 MPH.

hbelkins

Why is that a 45 mph zone? Because of adjacent construction? Because most every time I've driven that road, i was able to do 65-70 mph and there was very little traffic.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2014, 08:36:53 PM
Why is that a 45 mph zone? Because of adjacent construction? Because most every time I've driven that road, i was able to do 65-70 mph and there was very little traffic.

Probably a lot of adjacent construction.  It was a real mess around this time last year.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: machpost on October 27, 2014, 02:45:51 PM
Quote from: mtfallsmikey on October 27, 2014, 10:56:49 AM

For folks traveling the remaining 2-lane portion of Route 93 between Bismarck and Davis, I've been advised that the 45 MPH speed limit is being heavily enforced, with tickets being issued for exceeding that speed by as little as 2-3 MPH.

I have observed some speed limit enforcement on W.Va. 93 approaching W.Va. 32, and near or within the corporate limits of Thomas.  I think the enforcement was by the Tucker County Sheriff's Office, but I am not 100% certain about that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.