News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 21, 2013, 05:40:48 AM
I'll believe it when spades and shovels are turning dirt in the ground.  Even the Six Year Program is no guarantee...

I am sure that there will be opposition, if not from Frederick and Shenandoah Counties, then opposition encouraged by an anti-highway group from elsewhere in the Commonwealth - or one or more front groups for same.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bitmapped

hbelkins

Aw, crap. Time to scratch US 48 off my clinched list (again).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

machpost

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 21, 2013, 10:58:03 AM
4.7 miles of Corridor H from Bismarck to Scherr will open tomorrow.

http://wvmetronews.com/2013/11/21/new-miles-of-corridor-h-to-open/#.Uo4tw2G2KfI.twitter

Bypassing the steep grade and switchbacks of Scherr Mountain is going to be a big deal. I would expect truck traffic on this route to increase right away. I will not miss getting stuck behind tractor-trailers going 10mph on that stretch!

Bitmapped

Quote from: machpost on November 21, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

http://wvmetronews.com/2013/11/21/new-miles-of-corridor-h-to-open/#.Uo4tw2G2KfI.twitter

Bypassing the steep grade and switchbacks of Scherr Mountain is going to be a big deal. I would expect truck traffic on this route to increase right away. I will not miss getting stuck behind tractor-trailers going 10mph on that stretch!

I hope WVDOH moves WV 42 and WV 93 onto the Corridor H alignment going up the mountain.  There's no good reason to keep it on the existing road.

When I was through the area last about 2 months ago, it looked like traffic signals were going up at the intersection of existing WV 42 and WV 93 at Scherr (base of the mountain).

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 21, 2013, 12:39:16 PM
When I was through the area last about 2 months ago, it looked like traffic signals were going up at the intersection of existing WV 42 and WV 93 at Scherr (base of the mountain).

What in the world would be the purpose of that? I'd think the opening of US 48 would take traffic out of that intersection, and I can't imagine that this intersection would need lights. Unless they are temporary signals for bridge repairs or something.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

BrianP

QuoteAs the 4.7 mile section opens, Walker said work is already well underway on another 16.2 mile section of Corridor H from Mt. Storm into Davis.  That stretch of roadway could open to traffic by early 2015.
I thought that stretch was expected to be done by summer 2014. :(

seicer

I suspect the harsh winter that's already been experienced up there so early has put a stop to all work.

machpost

Quote from: hbelkins on November 21, 2013, 01:47:11 PM

What in the world would be the purpose of that? I'd think the opening of US 48 would take traffic out of that intersection, and I can't imagine that this intersection would need lights. Unless they are temporary signals for bridge repairs or something.

I would imagine that once Corridor H reaches Davis, Route 93 will terminate at its junction with 42.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: machpost on November 21, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

Agreed. 

Though in my opinion, almost worse going down the mountain (10% grade according to the signs).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mtfallsmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 20, 2013, 10:44:48 PM
Quote from: machpost on November 20, 2013, 10:20:07 PM
Some hope for completion of the Virginia end of Corridor H:

QuoteSupporters of Corridor H got an unexpected boost Nov. 20 with the release of a State of Virginia highway construction schedule that lists a 2026 completion date for Corridor H within the state.

The Appalachian Regional Commission, in its Appalachian Development Highway System 2013 Completion Plan Report, targets September 2026 as the finish time for the 14.4 miles of highway that will run from the West Virginia line to Interstate 81 at Strasburg, Va.

http://www.statejournal.com/story/24025767/corridor-h-supporters-encouraged-by-virginia-completion-date-projection

I'll believe it when I see it in the VDOT Six Year Program.

So, let's see the VDOT report.... Maybe the new governor will spend out our surplus on that... but I'm going to be a good boy and not get into politics again :}

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on November 21, 2013, 01:47:11 PM

Not sure.  When I was through here, the signal heads weren't up but there were brand new steel poles installed in the WVDOH T-intersection 3 pole configuration.  They're definitely not temporary and given the configuration, I suspect they're not just flashers.  WVDOH normally just mounts flashers diagonally across an intersection.

While they've been in poor repair, WVDOH did have flashers on the Stop Ahead and Stop signs as you approached on WV 93 westbound previously.  My guess is people tended to drive through the intersection and they wanted to draw attention to it?

With Corridor H being built, it seems like it would make sense to just realign the intersection so WV 93 westbound to WV 42 southbound becomes the through movement.

dave19

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtfallsmikey on November 22, 2013, 06:50:47 AM
So, let's see the VDOT report.... Maybe the new governor will spend out our surplus on that... but I'm going to be a good boy and not get into politics again :}

I believe construction cost of ADHS corridors is 100% federal funding, so while VDOT will have to manage the process of design, engineering and construction of the Commonwealth's part of Corridor H (just like it is doing with Corridor Q right now), I do not think it has to spend any state dollars doing so. 

As I understand it, states do have to maintain the ADHS corridors once built, and I do not think ADHS money is available for that, though there are some formula-driven funds for upkeep of infrastructure that would presumably include any ADHS corridor.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Bitmapped on November 22, 2013, 10:19:37 AM
While they've been in poor repair, WVDOH did have flashers on the Stop Ahead and Stop signs as you approached on WV 93 westbound previously.  My guess is people tended to drive through the intersection and they wanted to draw attention to it?

When I was up that way this past summer, during one of my trips through there, all of the red flashers were dark for westbound (almost southbound there)  traffic on W.Va. 93. 

I sent an e-mail to the only WVDOT staff person I know (he is based in Charleston), and he knew that intersection and told me he would forward my message to the right persons at WVDOH.

froggie

QuoteI believe construction cost of ADHS corridors is 100% federal funding, so while VDOT will have to manage the process of design, engineering and construction of the Commonwealth's part of Corridor H (just like it is doing with Corridor Q right now), I do not think it has to spend any state dollars doing so. 

States can utilize up to 100% Federal funding for the ADHS corridors.  Doesn't mean they have to.  Furthermore, it should be noted that there's no longer a dedicated ADHS funding stream.  MAP-21 changed ADHS funding to where it got rolled into the Surface Transportation Program (STP) funding pot.  So while states can utilize 100% funding for ADHS projects, such funding takes away from their STP appropriation.

If VDOT were to spend their STP allocation on the ADHS, I'd expect them to focus on finishing US 460 (Corridor Q) in the southwestern corner of the state, where there's much less local opposition.  And if they were smart, they'd be spending their STP allocation on the 2 lane roads that REALLY DO need widening, like VA 3 in Culpeper County, US 15 north of US 29 (from 29 to Haymarket seems to have less opposition than north of Leesburg), or VA 20 in Orange County.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 24, 2013, 08:59:54 AM
If VDOT were to spend their STP allocation on the ADHS, I'd expect them to focus on finishing US 460 (Corridor Q) in the southwestern corner of the state, where there's much less local opposition.  And if they were smart, they'd be spending their STP allocation on the 2 lane roads that REALLY DO need widening, like VA 3 in Culpeper County, US 15 north of US 29 (from 29 to Haymarket seems to have less opposition than north of Leesburg), or VA 20 in Orange County.

Hmm, every project you mention above, with the exception of U.S. 15 between Buckland and Haymarket, is in the self-proclaimed "service area" of the anti-all-highways Piedmont Environmental Council. 

And even western Prince William County, while not included in the PEC "service area," is still an area that the PEC considers it has the right to comment on (and oppose) projects that displease it, like Disney's America, the proposed site (back in 1994 and 1995) became huge development of mostly single-family detached homes (probably not what the PEC had in mind for that land).

CVski

I measured 5 miles and 8 minutes of total savings vs. the old 42/93 alignment and elimination of the double-back on 93. 

Seems that this new segment now slightly crests 3000' in elevation at the top.  Is this a first for Corridor H?  How far away does one have to go to find a segment of Interstate highway, or for that matter any segment of 4-lane divided highway, at this high of an elevation?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: CVski on November 25, 2013, 01:20:36 PM
I measured 5 miles and 8 minutes of total savings vs. the old 42/93 alignment and elimination of the double-back on 93. 

Seems that this new segment now slightly crests 3000' in elevation at the top.  Is this a first for Corridor H?  How far away does one have to go to find a segment of Interstate highway, or for that matter any segment of 4-lane divided highway, at this high of an elevation?

Yes, according to Google it is currently at just over 3000' as it crests the Allegheny Front.  It will get even higher west of the generating station, at better than 3400' at the Eastern Continental Divide.

I-68 (Corridor E) never makes it to 3000' in Maryland or in West Virginia (the highest it gets is about 2800').

I-70, I-76 and I-80 in Pennsylvania never get that high.

I thought I-64 might get close cresting Afton Mountain in Virginia, but no - barely 2000' (seems that it should be higher).

Heading further south, I-77 does breach the 3000' barrier in Virginia north of its overlap with I-81 (here) before it reaches the Big Walker Mountain Tunnel.

Other ideas?

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 25, 2013, 08:26:55 PM
I thought I-64 might get close cresting Afton Mountain in Virginia, but no - barely 2000' (seems that it should be higher).
If it weren't for Rockfish Gap, I-64 might have gone via Lynchburg and the James River.

Perhaps someone bored can grab basic elevation GIS data and map out the 3000' contour.

I-26 apparently reaches 3760 feet at Sams Gap (NC-TN line).

I-77 only reaches about 2700 feet based on where the fill ends and cut begins. The Goog's data is based on the 1968 USGS topo, which predates I-77's construction.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

machpost

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 25, 2013, 08:26:55 PM
Quote from: CVski on November 25, 2013, 01:20:36 PM

Yes, according to Google it is currently at just over 3000' as it crests the Allegheny Front.  It will get even higher west of the generating station, at better than 3400' at the Eastern Continental Divide.

I-68 (Corridor E) never makes it to 3000' in Maryland or in West Virginia (the highest it gets is about 2800').

I-70, I-76 and I-80 in Pennsylvania never get that high.

Heading further south, I-77 does breach the 3000' barrier in Virginia north of its overlap with I-81 (here) before it reaches the Big Walker Mountain Tunnel.

Other ideas?

Is it possible to determine elevation in Google Maps, or did you just match the coordinates to a topo map?

I'm impressed that Google Maps already has the new roadway showing up already.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: machpost on November 25, 2013, 09:17:58 PM
Is it possible to determine elevation in Google Maps, or did you just match the coordinates to a topo map?

I'm impressed that Google Maps already has the new roadway showing up already.

(1) Go to Google Maps.

(2) Enter these coordinates:  39.215464,-79.209888

(3) On the right upper corner, you should see the box for Satellite. Under that is a pull-down box labelled Traffic. Click Traffic.

(4) The menu should expand.  Click Terrain and you will have the contours.

dave19

I drove on the newest section of the road today. I had hoped it would be open to the interchange between the lake and Bismarck, but the west end (for now) is at the intersection with a new access road a bit west of WV 42. It's at the left side of this map: http://www.wvcorridorh.com/mapping/corh_sh_32.pdf
The access road has a sign goof - JCT WV 48! But the signs on US 48 itself are OK.
BTW: The scenic overlook is not complete yet.

Mapmikey

Virginia does not mave many primary routes that reach 3000 feet...

US 250 in Highland County
VA 16 north of Marion
VA 311 north of New Castle
VA 160 approaching Ky
US 33 at the WV line area
US 58 in the Grayson Highlands area

VA 362 is the highest road in Virginia as best I can tell.  The DeLorme has it reaching about 1425 m or around 4700 ft.

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 24, 2013, 08:59:54 AM
If VDOT were to spend their STP allocation on the ADHS, I'd expect them to focus on finishing US 460 (Corridor Q) in the southwestern corner of the state, where there's much less local opposition.

Adam, is there really local opposition to Corridor H in Frederick and Shenandoah Counties, Va.?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.