News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 13, 2021, 09:36:33 AM
Seems highly unlikely ever to happen, mostly due to the amount of development along that road in the vicinity of Potomac Mills Mall (the end closer to I-95). If you wanted a freeway route from I-95 to I-66, Route 234 would be a better option than the Prince William Parkway, because it would be less difficult to upgrade, because it makes more logical sense in terms of a direct route for serving traffic coming from the south (or heading south), and because the Prince William Parkway ultimately joins Route 234 anyway. Look at a map and compare the route for traffic coming up from Fredericksburg via I-95 and Route 234 versus I-95 and the Prince William Parkway. If you go all the way to I-66, you wind up at the same place, but the latter route is much further out of the way.

I agree.

The design of VA-294 (Prince William Parkway) is much less like an expressway than VA-286 and VA-289 (Fairfax County Parkway and Franconia-Springfield Parkway respectively) and much more like a suburban arterial.

Only the VA-234 part of Prince William Parkway has the "look and feel" of an expressway.

The part of VA-234 that is Dumfries Road is not an expressway design either, but the right-of-way is wider than most of VA-294.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bluecountry

Quote from: kernals12 on October 06, 2021, 04:46:45 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on October 06, 2021, 03:27:26 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on October 06, 2021, 12:53:18 PM
Virginia has now reached an agreement with Transurban to extend the Beltway toll lanes to the AL Bridge. Now it's up to Maryland to keep its promise.
They need to reach a deal to make them bi-directional on 95 to Fredericksburg and let VA make the main lanes on 95 be either 4 wide OR at least up to interstate standards in PWC.

They've already looked into that and rejected it.

A more feasible option is removing traffic signals on 234 from 95 to 66.
They rejected what, bi-directional HOT on I-95?
Kinda messed up 66 will have bi-HOT but not 95 when if anything it should be the reverse.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bluecountry on October 14, 2021, 09:02:34 AM
They rejected what, bi-directional HOT on I-95?
Kinda messed up 66 will have bi-HOT but not 95 when if anything it should be the reverse.

The reversible managed lanes on I-95 are a legacy of the design of the I-95 Busway (2 reversible lanes) that began operation in 1969 while the reconstruction of VA-350 to I-95 was in process (they were designed and engineered by VDH and its consultants prior to 1969). This ran from the D.C. side of the 14th Street Bridge to a point south of VA-644 (Franconia Road), and the restricted lanes now are along I-395 north of I-495 after this part was renumbered from I-95 to I-395 about 1973 or 1974.

After some years of busway operation the lanes were opened to car-pools (HOV-4) in the late 1970's and the HOV-4 requirement was lowered to HOV-3 not long after.  In the 1980's interim HOV-3 concurrent-flow lanes were extended to Prince William County.  In the 1990's the barrier separated HOV lanes were extended south from VA-644 to VA-234 in stages replacing the inadequate concurrent-flow HOV lanes.

After about 2010, a public-private partnership deal was signed between VDOT and Transurban to convert the I-95 part of the HOV corridor and the far southern part of the I-395 HOV lanes from 2 HOV lanes to mostly three HOV/toll lanes (styled 95Express) and extend to VA-610 in Garrisonville in Stafford County.  Due to legal objections from Arlington County most of I-395 was to remain as HOV-3 lanes for several more years.  Conversion to 95Express happened in  2014.

The rest of the corridor along I-395 was converted to mostly three managed lanes in 2019 (styled 395Express), with about 37 miles of reversible managed lanes in operation now from Garrisonville to the Virginia shore of the Potomac River.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

The new reversible lanes south of Woodbridge should have been at least designed to accommodate a second carriageway in the opposite direction, but it does not appear that was done.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 15, 2021, 12:27:29 AM
The new reversible lanes south of Woodbridge should have been at least designed to accommodate a second carriageway in the opposite direction, but it does not appear that was done.

The worst congestion is north of Woodbridge, especially for southbound traffic.

Adding non-reversible lanes would likely make the bottleneck conditions worse, not better.

sprjus4

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 15, 2021, 07:04:48 AM

Adding none-reversible lanes would likely make the bottleneck conditions worse, not better.
Not saying build it out, necessarily, but at least have the grading and right of way acquired for a second carriageway in the future.

That way, if ever in the future, the reversible lanes are twinned heading north of Woodbridge, ig could continue south as well.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 15, 2021, 07:17:15 AM

Adding none-reversible lanes would likely make the bottleneck conditions worse, not better.
Not saying build it out, necessarily, but at least have the grading and right of way acquired for a second carriageway in the future.

That way, if ever in the future, the reversible lanes are twinned heading north of Woodbridge, ig could continue south as well.

I believe that would need to take homes on one or both sides of I-95 between VA-294 and VA-123.  Where would the transition be from reversible lanes to non-reversible be?

sprjus4

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 15, 2021, 12:37:54 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on October 15, 2021, 07:17:15 AM

I believe that would need to take homes on one or both sides of I-95 between VA-294 and VA-123.  Where would the transition be from reversible lanes to non-reversible be?
To be effective, it would need to stretch from I-495 heading southwards and tie directly into the Fredericksburg C/D lanes, similar to how the reversible is being constructed, but obviously in both directions.

You could build a viaduct in the most urban areas to reduce right of way impact.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 19, 2021, 02:22:02 PM
Governor Northam Announces New I-95 Bridge Opens in Fredericksburg

Surprisingly, I did not see this posted...

Reply #5924 of this thread...

On Saturday, the new SB mainline lanes were backed way up, at least 2 miles from what I presume was the temporary lane drop.  I'll be driving through the very north end of the new setup (local lanes) today for the first time.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2021, 03:47:56 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 19, 2021, 02:22:02 PM
Governor Northam Announces New I-95 Bridge Opens in Fredericksburg

Surprisingly, I did not see this posted...

Reply #5924 of this thread...

On Saturday, the new SB mainline lanes were backed way up, at least 2 miles from what I presume was the temporary lane drop.  I'll be driving through the very north end of the new setup (local lanes) today for the first time.

Of course, it was at the bottom of page 237.   :banghead:  I kept looking at the beginning of page 238.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kernals12

Mapmikey

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 13, 2021, 09:51:26 PM
Should their not be a 3rd control city on that BGS for a 3 west destination.

The actual installed BGSs leading to and at the split have 4 destinations:  Falmouth/Warrenton on the US 17 BGS and Fredericksburg/Culpeper on the VA 3 BGSs

kernals12

https://loudounnow.com/2021/10/26/loudoun-launching-424m-plan-for-rt-7-east-of-rt-28/

Loudoun looks very keen on extending Super 7 (my name) to the Fairfax County border.

1995hoo

1995hoo

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 28, 2021, 10:21:27 AM
https://twitter.com/VaDOT/status/1453719467767173129

I wouldn't call that "SWVA." It's stretching it to call Martinsville or Roanoke SWVA. Isn't I-77 something of an unofficial cutoff point?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

I've pretty much always heard Roanoke considered as being where Southwest Virginia begins.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 28, 2021, 10:24:16 AM
Meanwhile, on I-395 last night....

https://twitter.com/STATter911/status/1453707358815887367

I want to type a reaction to this, but I just cannot without literally going insane.   :pan:

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 28, 2021, 11:35:07 AM
I've pretty much always heard Roanoke considered as being where Southwest Virginia begins.

Yeah I believe that Virginia Tech considers itself as part of southwest Virginia.

plain

I ran out of words already for this shit smdh.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2021, 10:40:56 AM

I wouldn't call that "SWVA." It's stretching it to call Martinsville or Roanoke SWVA. Isn't I-77 something of an unofficial cutoff point?

I sure wouldn't call it Central VA...
Newark born, Richmond bred

LM117

Where I live isn't anything to brag about by any means, but shit like this makes me glad I don't live in NOVA.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2021, 10:40:56 AM

There are numerous businesses, etc. named Southwestern VA... in Martinsville.  A better definition would be US 220/VA 311 as a boundary (the western Virginia border starts going north roughly there).

My thought when I saw this throwback photo is why did they only straighten out one part of VA 40 over there (I did find one other small bit on historic aerials), when the western 20 miles of VA 40 are quite twisty (despite little elevation change).

hbelkins

^^^

It looks like the straightening also involved building a bridge or a drainage structure. I see guardrails in the distance of the color photo, so it could have been that when there was a need to do the stream crossing, the decision was made to straighten the road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2021, 10:42:43 AM
^^^

It looks like the straightening also involved building a bridge or a drainage structure. I see guardrails in the distance of the color photo, so it could have been that when there was a need to do the stream crossing, the decision was made to straighten the road.

Perhaps...

The 1948 aerial shows no discernible creek crossing structure (was probably just a culvert, though the 1945 Patrick Co map does show a bridge).  The pond just visible on the left side of the modern photo was not there in 1948 (was there in 1955) and the original routing is covered by the other end of the pond.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.