News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Wouldn't it be funny to see the Red Sox collapse 1978 or 2011 style starting right now?

Flint1979

And this might be the start we need for that to happen.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

triplemultiplex

Milwaukee is unfortunately continuing their offensive trend that ended the season.  After two scoreless games, I'm pessimistic about this afternoon.
The frustrating part is how decent the pitching and defense has been, but with no run support, it's all for naught.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

With the White Sox eliminated, the American League champion is guaranteed to be a team for which Alex Cora led a huge illegal sign-stealing operation.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 12, 2021, 06:46:29 PM
With the White Sox eliminated, the American League champion is guaranteed to be a team for which Alex Cora led a huge illegal sign-stealing operation.
I'll root for Houston even though I don't really like them. I don't like Dusty Baker but I can't stand Alex Cora. I'm thinking the Giants will win the World Series.

CoreySamson

Yay Astros! Maybe tonight the Giants will finish off the Dodgers.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

KCRoadFan

Braves beat the Brewers - will meet either the Giants or Dodgers in the NLCS.

Flint1979

The thing that gets me is that the White Sox have only won a postseason series 5 times in franchise history and 3 of those series wins came in 2005, the other two were in 1917 and 1906. What a team with a horrible owner.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 13, 2021, 06:47:46 AM
The thing that gets me is that the White Sox have only won a postseason series 5 times in franchise history and 3 of those series wins came in 2005, the other two were in 1917 and 1906. What a team with a horrible owner.
You do realize that Jerry Reinsdorf owns both the White Sox Franchise and the Bulls Franchise...that same one that some guy named Michael Jordan won 6 Championships for?

That is 7 World Championships in Major Sports that Reinsdorf teams have captured - horrible owner is ridiculous hyperbole

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 14, 2021, 09:07:46 PM
You do realize that Jerry Reinsdorf owns both the White Sox Franchise and the Bulls Franchise...that same one that some guy named Michael Jordan won 6 Championships for?

That is 7 World Championships in Major Sports that Reinsdorf teams have captured - horrible owner is ridiculous hyperbole

You don't have to be a good owner to luck into Michael Jordan. If Portland drafts him instead of Sam Bowie, Reinsdorf has 1 championship in 80 combined years of owning teams.

He hired a 77 year old with 2 DUIs to be his manager because he felt guilty about letting him get fired 35 years ago. He really doesn't care about winning so long as he makes money.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 14, 2021, 09:11:53 PM

You don't have to be a good owner to luck into Michael Jordan. If Portland drafts him instead of Sam Bowie, Reinsdorf has 1 championship in 80 combined years of owning teams.

Well, you can't change history.

Alps

Some two-sport owners do MUCH better in one than the other.

KeithE4Phx

Six of those have orders of magnitude more to do with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Phil Jackson than Jerry Reinsdorf. 

The seventh was just being the right team with the right combination of players (none of whom was of MJ's stature other than Frank Thomas, who was hurt much of the season), with the right manager, at least for one year.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Roadgeekteen

SMH umps rigging the game for the Dodgers

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

So what if he owns both the Sox and Bulls? Jordan was drafted before Jerry even owned the Bulls for one thing and another thing he can thank MJ for those 6 championships because they wouldn't have won without him. Now since Jordan left the Bulls what have they done? He let the Bulls dynasty fade away and hasn't even been close since and one championship for the Sox? Before they made the postseason last year the Sox had been to 5 postseason's in his 39 years of ownership. He is cheap and doesn't do the right things to win or sustain a winning chemistry. He hires the wrong people, they are his friends and he for some reason thinks he should be loyal to his friends even though they shouldn't have the jobs they do. You don't have to tell me that he owns the Bulls and Sox, I've been a Chicago sports fan my entire life.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 14, 2021, 09:11:53 PM

He hired a 77 year old with 2 DUIs to be his manager because he felt guilty about letting him get fired 35 years ago. He really doesn't care about winning so long as he makes money.
He got gifted Michael Jordan he was lucky he bought the Bulls at the right time it was all about luck not that he was a good owner I still don't think he is.

Him hiring Tony LaRussa just proves my point about him being loyal to his friends and giving them jobs they shouldn't have. Tony was retired from managing and at 77 years old shouldn't be managing a MLB team. He's not Connie Mack but here comes Jerry to give yet another job to one of his buddies. It's pretty obvious that he really doesn't care about winning as long as he makes his money, makes his investors happy and keeps his friends employed. We'd be better off with a new owner.

Flint1979

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 15, 2021, 12:11:31 AM

Six of those have orders of magnitude more to do with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Phil Jackson than Jerry Reinsdorf. 

The seventh was just being the right team with the right combination of players (none of whom was of MJ's stature other than Frank Thomas, who was hurt much of the season), with the right manager, at least for one year.
I haven't followed the NBA in about 20 years but when the Bulls were winning the 90's you never heard about Jerry Reinsdorf, all you heard about was Jordan, Pippen, Jackson and Krause. If Reinsdorf had so much to do with it then why wasn't he heard from more often. That's what I saw and what I know.

With the Sox he has kept Kenny Williams employed even though Kenny Williams really isn't that good of a GM or president or whatever position he's in now. He kept Don Cooper employed for several years as pitching coach when he could have done better, he kept Robin Ventura as manager for 5 years and just let him walk away, in fact he even offered Ventura an new contract to be manager but Ventura turned it down.

Also the recent rebuild of the Sox, they had to beg Jerry to let them do a rebuild. If he wouldn't of let them do it then we'd still see the same last place team we had seen since Robin took over as manager. No one will ever convince me that Reinsdorf is a good owner, not the Bulls 6 championships, not the Sox one championship.

In 2005 every pitcher on the staff had a career year, they had never had a year like that before and didn't have one after that really either. They have Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras and El Duque. The only one that really didn't do all that well in the regular season was El Duque but he sure showed up against Boston in the ALDS shutting the Red Sox out for 3 innings coming in the bottom of the 6th with the bases loaded and no one out and getting I think it was Varitek to popup, can't remember who the next hitter was but I think he popped up too and then got Johnny Damon to strike out. I remember Manny had led off that inning with a home run too.

Roadgeekteen

Red Sox become first team to hit 2 grand slams in playoff game.

jgb191

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 15, 2021, 08:33:39 AM
I haven't followed the NBA in about 20 years but when the Bulls were winning the 90's you never heard about Jerry Reinsdorf, all you heard about was Jordan, Pippen, Jackson and Krause. If Reinsdorf had so much to do with it then why wasn't he heard from more often.

Reinsdorf hired the right mind to manage the Bulls roster.  Krause's roster-engineering brilliance turned a dismal team into perennial champions by acquiring the right pieces to build around Air Mike Flight #23 and the coaching staff needed to elevate the team from playoff contenders to NBA champions.  Bet you didn't know:  Nobody else wanted to give Krause a chance to manage except Reinsdorf.  If Reinsdorf hadn't given him a chance, I don't think the Bulls would have accomplished what they did in the 1990's.  To me it was one of those hiring events that changed the course of NBA history.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jgb191 on October 17, 2021, 05:03:49 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 15, 2021, 08:33:39 AM
I haven't followed the NBA in about 20 years but when the Bulls were winning the 90's you never heard about Jerry Reinsdorf, all you heard about was Jordan, Pippen, Jackson and Krause. If Reinsdorf had so much to do with it then why wasn't he heard from more often.

Reinsdorf hired the right mind to manage the Bulls roster.  Krause's roster-engineering brilliance turned a dismal team into perennial champions by acquiring the right pieces to build around Air Mike Flight #23 and the coaching staff needed to elevate the team from playoff contenders to NBA champions.  Bet you didn't know:  Nobody else wanted to give Krause a chance to manage except Reinsdorf.  If Reinsdorf hadn't given him a chance, I don't think the Bulls would have accomplished what they did in the 1990's.  To me it was one of those hiring events that changed the course of NBA history.
There is a basketball thread

Also Braves take game 1

Flint1979

I have no interest in basketball.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 17, 2021, 12:48:34 PM
Then why are you talking about it? The ALCS and NLCS are going on leave this thread for baseball.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 17, 2021, 06:30:22 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 17, 2021, 12:48:34 PM
Then why are you talking about it? The ALCS and NLCS are going on leave this thread for baseball.
I'm not talking about it.

Flint1979

Everything I've said has to do with Jerry Reinsdorf who owns the White Sox and that was the point of my argument in the first place.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.