Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

I won't drive that fast during heavy traffic. But, when there is no one there, I'm ready to get back to LA. I am usually not passing people faster than 10MPH that are in the middle lane.

I strangely have found myself driving slower and slower recently though I'm only 24 I still
Have a lead foot. No doubt I've had tons of tickets.

GreenLanternCorps

Looking at the map, am I correct in assuming that I-11 could be signed from Corn Creek Road NE of Las Vegas all the way to the Arizona state line, and theoretically a couple of miles into Arizona?

sparker

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on December 18, 2018, 09:22:27 AM
Looking at the map, am I correct in assuming that I-11 could be signed from Corn Creek Road NE of Las Vegas all the way to the Arizona state line, and theoretically a couple of miles into Arizona?

Technically, NDOT's still doing a study regarding the alignment of I-11 through the center of LV Metro: stay on US 95, use the 215 bypass west of town, or construct a new alignment well to the east of development.  Practically, from most indications they've actually selected the direct/95 route; there are spaces on newer BGS's for I-11 shields; there's a contract for signage (although those have been delayed before) for I-11 north of the 215 interchange north of town -- and AFAIK there have been no formal proposals for a "cutoff" between the NW corner of the 215 bypass and US 95 near the NV 157 interchange -- which would render the western bypass a minimally feasible through Interstate corridor.  Odds are that the study is a formality and that I-11 signage will be placed along US 95 by 2020.  As far as any AZ signage is concerned, that may go in a different direction.  I-11 signage probably won't occur, at least on the stretch NW of Kingman, until (a) the Kingman bypass/connector is let and under construction, and (b) work commences on upgrading/converting US 93 to Interstate standards along that corridor segment.

roadfro

Quote from: sparker on December 18, 2018, 12:51:34 PM

Technically, NDOT's still doing a study regarding the alignment of I-11 through the center of LV Metro: stay on US 95, use the 215 bypass west of town, or construct a new alignment well to the east of development.  Practically, from most indications they've actually selected the direct/95 route; there are spaces on newer BGS's for I-11 shields; there's a contract for signage (although those have been delayed before) for I-11 north of the 215 interchange north of town -- and AFAIK there have been no formal proposals for a "cutoff" between the NW corner of the 215 bypass and US 95 near the NV 157 interchange -- which would render the western bypass a minimally feasible through Interstate corridor.  Odds are that the study is a formality and that I-11 signage will be placed along US 95 by 2020.  As far as any AZ signage is concerned, that may go in a different direction.  I-11 signage probably won't occur, at least on the stretch NW of Kingman, until (a) the Kingman bypass/connector is let and under construction, and (b) work commences on upgrading/converting US 93 to Interstate standards along that corridor segment.
Theoretically, assuming NDOT were to choose the US 95 alignment through Vegas, then you could see I-11 signed that far. Practically, I don't think NDOT would sign it any further north than the NW 215 interchange in the short term, and I don't know that it would be signed any further south than the Hoover Dam Bypass in Arizona until other improvements happen

Actually, that signage project was for I-515 south of the Henderson Spaghetti Bowl 215 interchange. It was in the STIP for 2017 or 2018, but I don't think NDOT ever put that out to bid...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sparker

Quote from: roadfro on December 18, 2018, 10:06:44 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 18, 2018, 12:51:34 PM

Theoretically, assuming NDOT were to choose the US 95 alignment through Vegas, then you could see I-11 signed that far. Practically, I don't think NDOT would sign it any further north than the NW 215 interchange in the short term, and I don't know that it would be signed any further south than the Hoover Dam Bypass in Arizona until other improvements happen

Actually, that signage project was for I-515 south of the Henderson Spaghetti Bowl 215 interchange. It was in the STIP for 2017 or 2018, but I don't think NDOT ever put that out to bid...

If US 95's freeway section is extended out to or past the NV 157 junction, I'd expect that any I-11 signage would extend that far -- as a "prelude" to upgrade of the LV-Mercury segment (except possibly for Indian Springs), in all likelihood prior to any significant activity north from there (save studies regarding bypassing the few towns along the route).  Except for the aforementioned Indian Springs, such an upgrade should be quite straightforward -- and would allow NDOT to post the Interstate "brand" on a sizeable chunk of road -- if for no other reason than to partially quell the more vehement criticism of the corridor as unnecessary or gratuitous. 

Kniwt

Apologies for not getting pics of this; it took me by surprise when I passed through today.

The ramp from southbound 515/93/95 to westbound 215 was recently reconfigured, and new signage was erected. All of the exit tabs, plus the gore point sign, now call it EXIT 23, which is consistent with the I-11 numbering. No other exits were renumbered, and the ramp from northbound 515/93/95 wasn't re-signed, either.

roadfro

Quote from: Kniwt on January 09, 2019, 09:21:12 PM
Apologies for not getting pics of this; it took me by surprise when I passed through today.

The ramp from southbound 515/93/95 to westbound 215 was recently reconfigured, and new signage was erected. All of the exit tabs, plus the gore point sign, now call it EXIT 23, which is consistent with the I-11 numbering. No other exits were renumbered, and the ramp from northbound 515/93/95 wasn't re-signed, either.
I didn't make it to that part of town when I was in Vegas for the holidays. The ramp reconfiguration was completed sometime in December, I believe.

But I did notice just a few days ago that NDOT's 2019 State Maintained Highways book (route log) now shows I-11 instead of I-515 between the 215 beltway down to the newly constructed I-11 bypass alignment.

I hadn't commented on this development here yet. Since I didn't go to that end of town for roadgeek purposes, I was trying to find some news, press release, or other evidence other than the SMH book that some resigning had taken place.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Until that long-expected study is released, the above development probably doesn't actually mean -- or portend -- anything except that an eastern bypass is likely to be dismissed for one reason or another -- but NDOT hasn't as of yet fully committed to US 95, despite sporadic evidence to the contrary (BGS's with shield space, etc.); the western loop of the composite 215 corridor might still remain under consideration (I can see Strip interests pressing for that routing to ensure that the signed through I-11 route passes through their "bailiwick"). 

The Ghostbuster

I hope the east bypass is dismissed. If it were to be built, it should be part of Interstate 215 (or some other number, X-11 or X-15), not part of mainline Interstate 11. That should be on Interstate 515 and US 95.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 10, 2019, 04:21:43 PM
I hope the east bypass is dismissed. If it were to be built, it should be part of Interstate 215 (or some other number, X-11 or X-15), not part of mainline Interstate 11. That should be on Interstate 515 and US 95.
Does anyone know if Nevada would do a full beltway with the same number (like the Capital Beltway), or are they inclined to change numbers for an eastern beltway like California does?  I think that would affect the likelihood of whether they'd run I-11 up a new leg of the beltway.

sparker

Seeing as how there's already an established "215" number for the beltway, regardless of status, it's likely that the current "3/4" beltway will retain that number if I-11 doesn't subsume any of it -- and, since either way, a non I-11 segment will connect to I-15, it's equally likely that 215 would be retained for the remaining segment across north LV metro.  But at this time, I'd guesstimate the odds at 75-25 that I-11 will simply utilize US 95 for its final alignment, with I-515 disappearing.  And eventually an I-215 designation will be sought for the remainder of the beltway once fully completed. 

roadfro

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 10, 2019, 05:32:28 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 10, 2019, 04:21:43 PM
Does anyone know if Nevada would do a full beltway with the same number (like the Capital Beltway), or are they inclined to change numbers for an eastern beltway like California does?  I think that would affect the likelihood of whether they'd run I-11 up a new leg of the beltway.

Do note that the eastern option under consideration for I-11 actually bypasses the entire Las Vegas Valley by going out and around near Lake Mead NRA on the east side. It would not be in any way a eastern beltway in relation to the existing 215 beltway.

I personally think the eastern bypass option for I-11 will not happen. If it were to be chosen, it would not directly connect to the 215 alignment on either end, so wouldn't get any Interstate number other than I-11 (although could, and likely would, result in moving US 93).

Since the eastern beltway concept died long ago, we will likely never know the answer to Occidental Tourist's question.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
From the information supplied above, it sounds like the eastern bypass concept actually has a northern component north of the northern (E-W) section of the 215 loop, connecting I-15 and US 95.  I'd certainly like to see a copy of this bypass plan, preferably with a map attached -- or at least some sort of cite that'll supply that. 

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUm14ARc0Yk

I-515 has been talked about for some time for being part of I-11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ5fhZFuwCc

Also there a video on US-95 where its been mentioned for a future I-11 alignment.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
As usual, Kyle provides well-shot and pertinent videos.  At least it indicates that there is substantial commercial truck traffic on that stretch of US 95 -- also, that at least for that particular stretch of terrain, construction of an Interstate won't be that problematic (save the few RR overheads). 

bing101

Sub-Urbanite

It's interesting to me that NDOT still hasn't put up any pull-through or reassurance signs for I-11 Southbound at the BUS 93 and US 95 interchanges. It just seems so obvious and necessary, to have an "I-11 / US 93 - 95 South - Searchlight / Phoenix" overhead at the 93 Business interchange.

sparker

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on January 24, 2019, 11:59:02 AM
It's interesting to me that NDOT still hasn't put up any pull-through or reassurance signs for I-11 Southbound at the BUS 93 and US 95 interchanges. It just seems so obvious and necessary, to have an "I-11 / US 93 - 95 South - Searchlight / Phoenix" overhead at the 93 Business interchange.

IIRC, this has been discussed before.  NDOT's not big on pull-through signage at anything but system interchanges, preferring to reference the next exit.  Barring a change in their signage policy, reassurance signage will remain free-standing at roadside. 

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0r_i0gQ6_M

Interstate Kyle does another segment of US-95 and its proposed route of I-11

Kniwt

Another data point on the slow-motion signing of I-11: The NDOT traffic cameras between I-215 and Railroad Pass all now say "I-11" on their displays, even though the titles on the webpage still say I-515. Here's one from just a couple minutes ago:

Mark68

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

sparker

Quote from: Mark68 on February 14, 2019, 06:44:22 PM
Ha! It's raining in the desert!

It's raining all over the place out here; driving to work today was like driving through a waterfall.  Even our normally-dry Guadalupe River is starting to come close to the top of its gully; adjacent houses have been sandbagging their perimeters. 

But getting back to LV -- prior to the upgrade of Paradise Road in the late '80's, one time during C.E.S. a few years prior to that the original alignment, which was the main drag from downtown and the northern part of the Strip to the airport, dipped through a couple of gullies -- which were "flash-flooded" (this was in early January) and thus useless as airport access; one had to head down I-15 and backtrack on NV 146 to get to McCarran Airport.  But they've applied a heavy dose of flood-control to the area since that time, so it's vastly improved in that regard -- and Paradise crosses over the drainage channels on bridges, so access to the airport from the north isn't prone to interruption even with heavy rainstorms -- or at least hasn't been in the times I've been there since.     

Mark68

Quote from: sparker on February 14, 2019, 07:07:33 PM

It's raining all over the place out here; driving to work today was like driving through a waterfall.  Even our normally-dry Guadalupe River is starting to come close to the top of its gully; adjacent houses have been sandbagging their perimeters. 

But getting back to LV -- prior to the upgrade of Paradise Road in the late '80's, one time during C.E.S. a few years prior to that the original alignment, which was the main drag from downtown and the northern part of the Strip to the airport, dipped through a couple of gullies -- which were "flash-flooded" (this was in early January) and thus useless as airport access; one had to head down I-15 and backtrack on NV 146 to get to McCarran Airport.  But they've applied a heavy dose of flood-control to the area since that time, so it's vastly improved in that regard -- and Paradise crosses over the drainage channels on bridges, so access to the airport from the north isn't prone to interruption even with heavy rainstorms -- or at least hasn't been in the times I've been there since.     

Of course, my comment above was tongue-in-cheek.

One of the most intense rainstorms I've ever experienced while driving was on 4th of July weekend in the early 90s. I was driving from SoCal to Vegas and stopped for lunch in Primm. As soon as I got back on I-15, I drove into a rainstorm so hard I could barely see 10 feet in front of my car. I had to pull over for a few minutes to let the storm pass.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

roadfro

Quote from: Mark68 on February 15, 2019, 11:02:13 AM
Quote from: sparker on February 14, 2019, 07:07:33 PM

Of course, my comment above was tongue-in-cheek.

One of the most intense rainstorms I've ever experienced while driving was on 4th of July weekend in the early 90s. I was driving from SoCal to Vegas and stopped for lunch in Primm. As soon as I got back on I-15, I drove into a rainstorm so hard I could barely see 10 feet in front of my car. I had to pull over for a few minutes to let the storm pass.
(indulging this thread drift a bit...)

The rain and flooding that can occur in Vegas can certainly be intense at times. It takes many by surprise that Vegas has an official "flash flood season" (which I think runs July to September). People are also surprised to learn that there is a Clark County Regional Flood Control District that has put hundreds of millions of dollars into lining washes, building flood channels and digging water detention basins since the district was formed in 1985.

There's iconic photos, I think from the early 70s, of a completely flooded parking lot at Caesar's Palace. The Flamingo Wash running under The Linq (former Imperial Palace) still occasionally floods, causing closures of their parking garage. Growing up in Vegas, I recall all the local news channels would send reporters to the "Charleston Underpass" (Charleston Blvd/SR 159 undercrossing of the UPRR tracks near downtown) for nearly every rainstorm to report on its closure to traffic due to its complete flooding–a situation not alleviated until a CCRFCD project was completed the mid 2000s.

TimQuiQui

Looks like the DOT is getting around to signing I-11 at the I-215 interchange.

But only sort of...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.