News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

state DOT sign plans

Started by route17fan, July 19, 2014, 05:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

I know this topic is here - somewhere. I just for the life of me can not find it. I am looking for NYSDOT sign plans - as seen from a previous post in Northeast Roads regarding the Long Island Expressway (D262550) sign rehab. I know I've seen it with a breakdown of each state's DOT and how to access the plans. I'm just having difficulty in locating the information.

Thank you all and have a great weekend!
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Zeffy

I've actually been looking for these for New Jersey as well... for some reason, I can only manage to find the press releases, with no actual documents pertaining to the construction in question. Maybe we can summon J N Winkler to help us (who seems to have every signing plan out there it seems  :) )? Quick, someone post the J N Winkler signal!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

I'm not sure where to find sign plans for various states, and I'd be interested in seeing a lot of them as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

route17fan

Gotcha - I know it's all here and I've seen it - I just don't remember where  :banghead: lol

J N Winkler

Bat signal heard . . .

I posted a compilation of state DOTs' online sources for letting plans almost two years ago:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4899.msg167686#msg167686

It is now somewhat out of date since some URLs have changed while some state DOTs have altered their mechanisms for electronic document distribution.  For example, Indiana DOT overhauled its ViewDocs system, while MoDOT chose to take its electronic planroom in-house instead of renewing its contract with Indoxservices.  Since both bandwidth and disk space are cheap and getting cheaper while staff time is not, there has been a trend among state DOTs of leaving plans for old projects online indefinitely even if they say they will be deleted after a given period of time.

In regard to specific state DOTs, NYSDOT has had plans online since August 2013 (approximately--we are coming up on the one-year anniversary):

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/page/portal/doing-business/opportunities/const-notices

The document distribution for a typical NYSDOT contract includes not just plans and the proposal book, but also certain other types of documents that are listed on a CONR9 form, such as signface layouts, boring logs, as-built construction plans, etc.

For NJ I am afraid the news is bad.  NJDOT experimented briefly with putting plans on the Web in late 2004/early 2005, but ultimately decided to publish contract documents through Bid Express, for which the monthly cost is $135 ($35 Bid Express base subscription plus $100 subscription for access to plans).  NM and WV also have availability exclusively through Bid Express, as does the NJTA since the beginning of this year.

ID, WY, and NV make plans available at letting through QuestCDN, another pay planroom--there is a set charge to download the documents for each project if you have the (free) base subscription, with a subscription that offers unlimited free downloads costing about $600 a year.  However, Nevada DOT has a separate EDMS (part of its contract advertising pages) that makes plans available after award.

KyTC also uses a pay planroom but in theory as-builts are uploaded to a (free) online archive sometime after construction.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

route17fan

YES!! Thank you!! I apologize for the thread but it was driving me crazy (laughs) - thank you again.
:)

roadman

MassDOT does not currently post signing plans on-line, however, you can request plans for specific projects after the project has been awarded to a contractor.  A listing of current MassDOT design and construction projects, which can be sorted by community, District office, status, or other, is available at  http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=content/projectsRoot&sid=wrapper&iid=http://www.mhd.state.ma.us//ProjectInfo/

You can request plans from the Boston HQ Plans and Records Office - contact information is at http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/PlansRecords.aspx

Electronic copies of plans are free - paper copies cost $1.00 per sheet.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

route17fan

Good to know - thank you all for the info. :)

jeffandnicole

You can kinda backdoor your way into NJ DOT plans...somewhat.  From what I can tell you must pay to get to the original plans, but surprisingly the amendments are available to the public.

Go to the Bid Express website, and go to the NJDOT page.  Ignore the bright New Jersey Department of Transportation link at the top - that only brings you to the NJDOT website.  Instead, scroll down, and you'll see the various projects.  It only shows the proposal numbers, not the name of the project.  If you click on one of them though it should reveal the name of the project.  Within there, you can see amendments and other items, which sometimes contain the various plans you may be seeking.

J N Winkler

I have tried the "look at the addenda" trick with Bid Express several times in the past, and have found it rather hit and miss as to whether signing plans are included in an addendum for a given project.

There are a couple of related workarounds for Bid Express.  First, while letting plans for NJTA highway construction are not available for free, the same does not seem to apply to their building plans, which can be downloaded without a login.  Second, the NJTA also makes "Reference Drawings" available.  These are usually partial (never, in my experience, complete) as-builts for past projects.

NJDOT now also advertises a plan retrieval service on its website.  You basically fill out a form specifying what plans you want, and they are sent to you.  I think this supply channel lies outside the OPRA process, which I prefer not to use because NJ is one of the states that bowdlerizes structure plans from OPRA requests, but I haven't actually tried it and so don't know if they charge fees.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Revive 755

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 19, 2014, 07:38:31 PM
Bat signal heard . . .

I posted a compilation of state DOTs' online sources for letting plans almost two years ago:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4899.msg167686#msg167686

Since that list was posted, MoDOT has made it easier to access their plans:
http://www.modot.org/business/contractor_resources/OpenLetting.shtml

J N Winkler

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 22, 2014, 09:26:18 PMSince that list was posted, MoDOT has made it easier to access their plans:

http://www.modot.org/business/contractor_resources/OpenLetting.shtml

Yup.  This is their new in-house planroom, which went live as of the letting of June 20, 2014.  MoDOT ceased making new plans and other information available through Indoxservices on June 30, but the old online planrooms are still open.  I don't know for how much longer that will be the case.

With the new planroom, you still need a vendor account in order to access the full document distribution, including the "electronic deliverables" and the EBS file.  But the files that are available to view include the actual plans and proposal books (not inferior "viewables" like what Indoxservices made available on the public planrooms) and the viewing mechanism itself allows you to download and save anonymously.  It really is quite an improvement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.