News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Freeway reviews on Yelp

Started by kurumi, November 06, 2014, 12:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

I stumbled across a Yelp page for "the 10" (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-10-freeway-los-angeles); whether or not it was a joke, it now has over 100 reviews. (Yelp sales reps are trying to contact the owner of I-10 to discuss purchasing some advertising.)

Quote"It's hard to give any freeway in LA a high-rated review as there's always traffic. However I like the I-10 more than I like the I-405 so therefore this gets a 3."

There are also pages for the 405, the 110, and so on.

I thought "OK, it's a SoCal thing" until I found pages for the 880, the 680, and the 4-star rated I-280.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Pete from Boston

There's a ton of this.  Hell, people review towns and parades and bathrooms, so why not roads? 

Alps

Must be a Cal thing in general. Haven't turned up anything around here, only major bridges. (Why haven't I reviewed them yet? Oh, right, they're all clients.)

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 06, 2014, 07:36:09 AM
There's a ton of this.  Hell, people review towns and parades and bathrooms, so why not roads?

Reviewing restrooms seems potentially useful. Heck, I remember once upon a time there was an app for New York City called "Diaroogle" that helped you find clean publicly-available toilets.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 08, 2014, 08:46:57 AM

Reviewing restrooms seems potentially useful. Heck, I remember once upon a time there was an app for New York City called "Diaroogle" that helped you find clean publicly-available toilets.

While people always think of restaurants/fast food for restrooms, I've always found that nice hotels always have a public bathroom in or near the lobby, and usually are fairly well signed.  If not, look for signs for the pool, and they're usually in the same vicinity.  The front desk people don't know if you're staying there or not when you walk by.

J N Winkler

I don't like the general trend of these reviews.  "Maybe it looks scenic because it has trees and stuff" in the case of I-280, but for most of the rest it's traffic, traffic, traffic.  We need to get some sophisticates in there that can evaluate the freeways on the basis of alignment design.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 08, 2014, 08:46:57 AM

In the fictitious Seinfeld reunion show around which a Curb Your Enthusiasm season revolved, George had improbably become rich by inventing this.

hbelkins

So now is someone going to claim that Yelp gets paid by DOTs for positive reviews of roads? :-p

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

Quote from: Alps on November 08, 2014, 03:52:03 AM
Must be a Cal thing in general. Haven't turned up anything around here, only major bridges. (Why haven't I reviewed them yet? Oh, right, they're all clients.)

Can you review any of the roads you just drove out in Cali last month? :)

kurumi

Sorry for disturbing the pristine cemetery lawn, but I saw a review of Connecticut's Founders bridge that didn't really deserve its own thread (or disrupting the conversation in the Connecticut thread): https://www.yelp.com/biz/founders-bridge-hartford.

With access to Riverfront Plaza, Founders Bridge not only connects East Hartford to Hartford -- but also links Columbus Boulevard to Constitution Plaza with one of my favorite bridge walkways in CT.

Skating, biking, strolling, or running; the pedestrian walkway is perfect for enjoying great views in all directions as you walk into Hartford. When you have some time, park in East Hartford and walk along the river's edge. You'll experience a part of Hartford not many are familiar with!

And: there are 53 photos, though some are of nearby sights and not specifically the bridge.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.