News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

If it were NJ or VA, Texarkana would have been left on it for US 71 NB and another control city of Texarkana for I-49.  However, Hosston would be a logical choice, and actually thought they would use it.

I wonder what LADOTS will use once I-49 is completed between LA 1 and I-220 when Texarkana will not be used for LA 1 & US 71 NB at Exit 7B?  If Vivian or even Oil City is used it would be redundant as the new I-49 would connect anyway  to LA 1 in shorter time at a later point along LA 1.  There really is no settlements between I-220 and the LA 1 & US 71 wye to mention.  It might be good to at least bring Hosston in even though I-49 will reach it as well.  I mean look at Monticello being used for I-10 in Florida east of Tallahassee where that place is accessible via later interchanges east of of there if heading EB on I-10.  Yet FDOT uses it for fulfillment purposes in this case even though the US 19 exit several miles east of there is the best route into Jefferson County's Seat from I-10.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 28, 2014, 10:59:51 AM
Dixie has nothing posted that lets you know you are "in" Dixie. It's actually on old US 71 on LA 3049. Belcher, Gilliam, or Hosston are the first towns with a town limit. Belcher is also mostly off of US 71, but there is a sign there. I agree that the 1/71 split should have something listed, and it doesn't have to be Texarkana.

Dixie doesn't even exist on Google Maps. I typed it in and wound up with Dixie Inn along US 371
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bassoon1986

Quote from: roadman65 on January 28, 2014, 02:20:21 PM
If it were NJ or VA, Texarkana would have been left on it for US 71 NB and another control city of Texarkana for I-49.  However, Hosston would be a logical choice, and actually thought they would use it.

I wonder what LADOTS will use once I-49 is completed between LA 1 and I-220 when Texarkana will not be used for LA 1 & US 71 NB at Exit 7B?  If Vivian or even Oil City is used it would be redundant as the new I-49 would connect anyway  to LA 1 in shorter time at a later point along LA 1.  There really is no settlements between I-220 and the LA 1 & US 71 wye to mention.  It might be good to at least bring Hosston in even though I-49 will reach it as well.  I mean look at Monticello being used for I-10 in Florida east of Tallahassee where that place is accessible via later interchanges east of of there if heading EB on I-10.  Yet FDOT uses it for fulfillment purposes in this case even though the US 19 exit several miles east of there is the best route into Jefferson County's Seat from I-10.

What I wish is that the I-220 interchange with 1/71 would change to N. Market St. Maybe add a secondary sign to say Vivian exit 7b

roadman65

It really should use street names, as its an urban area.  Its probably due to US 71 all these years being a major through route.  It might end up having to do that.

To me personally, Shreveport is redundant as most people could easily figure out that all roads leading SB from I-220 (or at least to the southern direction) are for Shreveport.  Plus with it being a bypass to Shreveport for through I-20 motorists its totally irrelevant.  Plus LADOTS (if they have not already) could place a sign at both beginnings of I-220 saying the next X interchanges are for Shreveport.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mcdonaat

LA 1/TO I-49                    US 71  North
    Oil City                            Belcher
  Texarkana                          Gilliam

People using LA 1 TO I-49 are going to Texarkana and Blanchard (or Oil City). People using US 71 North are probably going to the small towns along US 71. At least, that's the way I see it. Sign US 71 with the small, important towns, and sign I-49 with a control city of Texarkana. Seems like it's more confusing to give a driver directions to Gilliam with "Take US 71 to LA 1 to I-49 to LA 170 to US 71.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 09, 2013, 03:08:25 PM
The November 2013 I-49 Inner City Connector Newsletter has been posted.  It indicates that official approval to include the study of a fifth build alternative was received in October 2013

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") Transportation Policy Committee has posted its November 15, 2013 Draft Minutes and they reflect the possibility that the I-220 bridge over Cross Lake might need to be expanded (presumably a lot of $$$$$):

Mr. Rogers further discussed the I‐49 Inner City Connector (ICC) and stated Providence was currently completing field work for the economic impact analysis.  He further discussed the I‐220 alternate route for the I‐49 ICC would require the same standards as a build‐through, meaning I‐220 would need to be brought up to interstate standards, including parts of LA 3132.  Mr. Rogers stated the bridge across Cross Lake may need expansion depending on the traffic volumes over the bridge.  Mayor Walker asked if the costs of the upgrades and possible bridge expansion might cause people to go back to the inner city build‐through.  Mr. Rogers stated it might, and that more detailed study would occur on the preferred corridor.  Mayor Walker asked if there would be one intersection instead of two.  Mr. Rogers stated there would be a design exception allowing for two interchanges.  Mr. Gene Eddy with SporTran joined the committee.  There was still not a quorum as one more voting member was still needed.   

Mr. Rogers stated another round of community meetings for the I‐49 ICC would occur in the early spring and any remaining meetings would be at the end of the process with the formal public hearings.

Grzrd

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on November 04, 2013, 06:10:09 PM
Caddo 2014-01-29 H.003495
455-09-0001 LA 3194, I-49 I-49 North (I-220-mlk Drive) Seg K Conc. New Pavement (Seg K) $30,000,000 to $50,000,000 2.06 Umeozulu, Joe      &      Caddo 2014-04-09 H.011111  I-220, I-49 I-49 North, Segment K - Phase 2 New I-49/I-220 Interchange With Roadways to Tie to Seg. J $100,000,000 to $125,000,000 4.03 Umeozulu, Joe , Looks like they have split the last section of I 49 north into 2 contracts.

The Bid Results for the February 5 Letting list the winning bid for Phase I coming in at approximately $31.5 million:

H.003495.6 (DBE Goal Project) I-49N, SEGMENT K - PHASE I I-220 to MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE
CLEARING AND GRUBBING, DRAINAGE STRUCTURES, CLASS II BASE COURSE, SUPERPAVE ASPHALTIC CONCRETE PAVEMENT, PORTLAND CEMENT CONCRETE PAVEMENT, PRECAST PRESTRESSED CONCRETE GIRDER BRIDGE, AND RELATED WORK.
Parish(es): Caddo
Route(s): I-49
Federal Number: 0900(503)
Estimated Construction Cost: $34,956,473.30

Apparent Low Bidder:   Best-Yet Builders, Llc
3820 W. 70TH ST.
SHREVEPORT, LA 71108
(318)459-1125   
$31,569,922.16

The beginning of the last piece of the I-220 to I-30 section of I-49!

Anthony_JK

Quote from: roadman65 on January 30, 2014, 08:35:16 AM
It really should use street names, as its an urban area.  Its probably due to US 71 all these years being a major through route.  It might end up having to do that.

To me personally, Shreveport is redundant as most people could easily figure out that all roads leading SB from I-220 (or at least to the southern direction) are for Shreveport.  Plus with it being a bypass to Shreveport for through I-20 motorists its totally irrelevant.  Plus LADOTS (if they have not already) could place a sign at both beginnings of I-220 saying the next X interchanges are for Shreveport.

First off...LADOTD.

Secondly, the exits on I-220 should be all local street names, with the exception of where I-49 intersects, where the controls should be Texarkana (north) and Downtown/Alexandria (or even Downtown/Alexandria/Lafayette) when the ICC is completed.

codyg1985

They need to bring I-220 to interstate standards?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 27, 2013, 12:34:44 AM
they should resolve this to the benefit of everyone and get the damn thing built already.
Quote from: Grzrd on November 15, 2013, 10:55:41 PM
This article reports that the environmental assessement has been completed ... :
The total anticipated cost for the project is $48.9 million ....
State Sen. Bret Allain, R-Franklin, said the overpass project is just one more piece to the puzzle.
"This project, although we keep trying to push it along, the pieces are coming together in a timely fashion,"  he said. "With the completion of 318, we'll be interstate compliant from the outskirts of Lafayette all the way to the Calumet Cut in St. Mary Parish."
A link to the Environmental Assessment - Finding of No Significant Impact can be found here.

This Feb. 18 article reports that the U.S. 90 interchange at La. 318 in Four Corners to an interstate-quality highway was approved Monday by the State Legislative Joint Transportation, Highways, and Public Works Committee, and that the project is expected to be let for bids later this year or early 2015:

An estimated $55 million to $60 million highway project to upgrade the U.S. 90 interchange at La. 318 in Four Corners to an interstate-quality highway was approved Monday by the State Legislative Joint Transportation, Highways, and Public Works Committee, a news release from State Rep. Sam Jones, D-Franklin stated ....
"As a member of the Transportation Committee I have spent considerable time developing and funding this project, a major addition to future I-49 South,"  Jones said. "Ultimately, this is part of opening up 42 miles of interstate-grade highway from Lafayette to Wax Lake."
With the U.S. 90 interchange at La. 318 project fully funded, "we can now concentrate on frontage roads and interchange projects from Wax Lake to the Atchafalaya River, some of which are already in the design phase," Jones said.
"Funding is the toughest part although this project required changes to accommodate residents, farmers and industry,"  Jones said. The project is expected to be let for bids later this year or early 2015 ....
"The piece of the puzzle that was just done has been in planning for a while,"  Allain said. "We're trying to get as much done from the Calumet Cut and Lafayette."
After the section between the Calumet Cut and Lafayette is finished, the next step will be the planning and construction at Red Cypress Road in Patterson continuing through east St. Mary Parish
, Allain said. The most dangerous section of U.S. 90 with the most fatalities per capita is between the Calumet Cut and the U.S. 90 bridge in Morgan City, Allain said. "We have to address that, and that will be the push that we do next after we get La. 318 done."

Slow, yet steady, progress.....................

Anthony_JK

Essentially, once the LA 318 interchange is competed, the only hurdle to US 90 being full Interstate grade between LA 88 in New Iberia and the Calumet intersection just west of Wax Lake Outlet/Calumet Cut would be building an overpass of the L&DRR rail spur just south of the LA 85 interchange near Jeanerette, and the completion of frontage roads between LA 85 and LA 668. Maybe then, LADOTD could pull a TXDOT and ask for I-49 shields??

As for the Patterson/Bayou Vista/Berwick segment of I-49 South, though...I'm not too happy with the downsized proposal that LADOTD now has. The original setup that was approved in the 2008 ROD included an extended elevated section through Patterson/Idlewild/Bayou Vista which allowed for easy access for neighborhoods S of US 90 and the BNSF railline. The current proposal is basically an at-grade conversion of the existing highway, with only Red Cypress Road and Cotten Road as access points between north and south Patterson (via an elevated interchange for Red Cypress and an grade-seperated overpass for Cotten). I know they wanted to save $$$, but I still think they could have done better than that. I think I'll create a new thread later on and elaborate more on this.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 22, 2014, 03:33:39 PM
They need to bring I-220 to interstate standards?

I meant "intersects" to be relatively speaking, not literally intersecting at grade. Of course, they will meet as a directional interchange.

Grzrd

An email from LaDOTD indicates that Segments B-D of I-49 North will open to local traffic on March 1:

Q: I seem to remember that, back in November, the thought was that Segments B-D of I-49 North would be opened to local traffic in March.  Is that still the plan?  If so, has a ribbon-cutting been scheduled for the opening?

A: They are slated to open March 1 but there will be no ceremony associated with the opening.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 24, 2014, 05:52:48 AM
Essentially, once the LA 318 interchange is competed, the only hurdle to US 90 being full Interstate grade between LA 88 in New Iberia and the Calumet intersection just west of Wax Lake Outlet/Calumet Cut would be building an overpass of the L&DRR rail spur just south of the LA 85 interchange near Jeanerette, and the completion of frontage roads between LA 85 and LA 668. Maybe then, LADOTD could pull a TXDOT and ask for I-49 shields??

According to Google maps, the frontage roads exist between LA 85 and 668 but the side roads still have at-grade intersections with US 90 - this is also true of the next segment to the east, between 668 and 318. Is there a planned project in the works to eliminate those at-grades?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on February 25, 2014, 01:38:59 PM

According to Google maps, the frontage roads exist between LA 85 and 668 but the side roads still have at-grade intersections with US 90 - this is also true of the next segment to the east, between 668 and 318. Is there a planned project in the works to eliminate those at-grades?

Google Maps is notorious for their lack of timely updates.

The frontage roads between the LA 85 and LA 668 interchanges must still be under construction. Once they are finished, the direct connections to the US 90 mainline will be severed. The same thing will happen for the segment between LA 668 and LA 318 when the Four Corners (LA 318) interchange is built.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 25, 2014, 12:22:00 PM
An email from LaDOTD indicates that Segments B-D of I-49 North will open to local traffic on March 1:
Q: I seem to remember that, back in November, the thought was that Segments B-D of I-49 North would be opened to local traffic in March.  Is that still the plan?  If so, has a ribbon-cutting been scheduled for the opening?
A: They are slated to open March 1 but there will be no ceremony associated with the opening.

In December 2013, LaDOTD let a dowel bar retrofit project for Segment A.  The Wikipedia article on dowel bar retrofits speaks in general terms about this process being used on older sections of highway.  However, one of US71's I-49 North Sneak Preview photos (found in his linked flickr account page) shows an apparent dowel bar retrofit south of Hosston (somewhere in the Segments E-I section):

Any ideas on why the retrofits have been needed so early in the game for I-49 North?

Also, good news from LaDOTD that the Segment A retrofit has been completed and they are ready for AHTD to complete its section:

Yes, they have completed the retro fit for segment A.  I am "hearing"  Arkansas should be ready in June.  However, I have not confirmed that rumor.

O Tamandua

Quote from: Grzrd on March 02, 2014, 08:38:52 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 25, 2014, 12:22:00 PM

In December 2013, LaDOTD let a dowel bar retrofit project for Segment A.  The Wikipedia article on dowel bar retrofits speaks in general terms about this process being used on older sections of highway.  However, one of US71's I-49 North Sneak Preview photos (found in his linked flickr account page) shows an apparent dowel bar retrofit south of Hosston (somewhere in the Segments E-I section):

Any ideas on why the retrofits have been needed so early in the game for I-49 North?

Also, good news from LaDOTD that the Segment A retrofit has been completed and they are ready for AHTD to complete its section:

Yes, they have completed the retro fit for segment A.  I am "hearing"  Arkansas should be ready in June.  However, I have not confirmed that rumor.

Dig it #2.  :D

The giant pincers of I-49 are slowly closing in on western Arkansas...

US71

I didn't use my GPS, but my educated guess is this is the LA/AR State Line. The pavement is complete to this point, but there are no shoulders beyond here. There is also a slight "bump" where the pavement changes. 

O Tamandua

You ROCK, US71.  Thank you!  (And wishing the perfect pizza somewhere.)

texaskdog

Well if they built it together there wouldn't have been any bumps!

jbnv

As for the Patterson/Bayou Vista/Berwick segment of I-49 South, though...I'm not too happy with the downsized proposal that LADOTD now has. ... I know they wanted to save $$$, but I still think they could have done better than that. I think I'll create a new thread later on and elaborate more on this.
Please do.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

ethanhopkin14

I just got to drive the new Interstate 49 section open north of Shreveport.  It was totally awesome and a beautiful road!!

Shield off Interstate 220 East(north)bound

First Northbound reassurance shield

US71

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 07, 2014, 12:42:22 AM
I just got to drive the new Interstate 49 section open north of Shreveport.  It was totally awesome and a beautiful road!!

[img width=800 height=450]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T25PkknhPN0/UxlanlTWg5I/AAAAAAAAA8w

I drove it today: there are trailblazers for North and South 49 between the I-49/I-20 junction and the LA 1/I-49 junction.

There are also tralblazers for I-220 from the LA1/I-49 junction down to the US 71/I-220 junction.

mcdonaat

Quote from: US71 on March 17, 2014, 07:07:41 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 07, 2014, 12:42:22 AM

[img width=800 height=450]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T25PkknhPN0/UxlanlTWg5I/AAAAAAAAA8w

I drove it today: there are trailblazers for North and South 49 between the I-49/I-20 junction and the LA 1/I-49 junction.

There are also tralblazers for I-220 from the LA1/I-49 junction down to the US 71/I-220 junction.
I thought about it today, but instead clinched about 1/5 of the parish roads in Bienville Parish today. At the same time, I realized US 371 is forgotten, with street signs and addresses still referring to it as LA 7, and green and white signs EVERYWHERE!!!

Does US 371 officially go to I-49, or is it just signed as such?

Nexus 7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.