News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

Quote from: AHTD on April 17, 2014, 05:14:15 PM

Proposed exit numbering from the Louisiana State Line (through Texas) and to the Polk County, Arkansas line:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_1.pdf

So:  Exit 42 = State Line Ave.-US 59/71

The TX exits won't have to renumber because of the proximity to AR, I assume?

If so, then:
Exit 44 & 46 are....  FM 1397 and the Texarkana I-369 connection?  Or are both 2 instances of FM 1397 (since it's 'U' shaped)?

Will AR and TX team up to build the 5+ miles together somehow, or is TX on it's own for it's part (besides the new Red River crossing, which I assume will be collaborative)?

Yeah, I know, it's *very* early in the funding and the construction-timetable game at this point.....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

AHTD

Don't know, but here are a few things to consider.

If memory serves, at one time there was some question as to whether or not I-49 would even run through Texas. This would have required all southbound traffic to proceed to Texarkana, Arkansas to access I -30. Since the proposed route crosses into Texas, TxDOT can build its own connector to I -30 on their side of the state line (think commerce and economic development here), but in order to do so would have to provide the contiguous I-49 connection back into Arkansas.

All that to say, the prevailing thought is each state will pay its own way. But anything can happen. One never knows when a $2 Billion+ earmark will surface. ;)

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

yakra

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forums, but has the Texarkana segment received FHWA approval, as either I-49 proper or Future I-49?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

O Tamandua

Quote from: AHTD on April 17, 2014, 11:34:34 PM
Don't know, but here are a few things to consider.

If memory serves, at one time there was some question as to whether or not I-49 would even run through Texas. This would have required all southbound traffic to proceed to Texarkana, Arkansas to access I -30. Since the proposed route crosses into Texas, TxDOT can build its own connector to I -30 on their side of the state line (think commerce and economic development here), but in order to do so would have to provide the contiguous I-49 connection back into Arkansas.

All that to say, the prevailing thought is each state will pay its own way. But anything can happen. One never knows when a $2 Billion+ earmark will surface. ;)

A cryptic quote, AHTD!  Me hopey, to paraphrase an old saying.   ;-)

(And AHTD, let me modify this.  Somewhere on this forum there's a picture taken from a PowerPoint Texas Department of Transportation presentation, used by a Shreveport television station, showing the key corridor (from Canada through the central U.S. to both Mexico and (the nation's largest ports on) the Gulf of Mexico) that will run through Arkansas with a completed I-49.

I've only lived in northwest Arkansas since 2002, but old-timers here tell me how long the not-for-long-named I-540 took to build.  But that was before I-49 dropped all the way from Kansas City to just above the Arkansas border.  And before I-49 was extended north all the way to Texarkana as is about to happen in a matter of a month or two.  And well before Texas became America's second most populous state, and started to build its section of I-69 which will give both Houston and the Lower Rio Grande Valley (as well as the Texas ports in America's "top 10 biggest ports") access to a lot of markets.  And, frankly, before Northwest Arkansas became "home" officially to the world's largest company and, as of this summer, 800,000 people between that region and its neighbor Fort Smith.

My guess (and though I know you see it too you're not privvy to say how much yet, that's for us to find out through you later) is that there are a LOT of people all over the place now (as opposed to way back in "Y2K") who have a GIGANTIC interest in seeing a completed I-49.  I used elsewhere the analogy that I-49 is closing in on our state like the pincer of a huge crab (bad analogy as a crab uses such to break things, and I-49 will BUILD, a lot, of things).  The announcement of the resignage (sic?) this week will make the claw close just a bit more.  And with every mile said "claw" closes, said "LOT of people" (including those who hold some significant pursestrings) will take even more notice.)

Grzrd

Quote from: yakra on April 18, 2014, 01:08:51 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forums, but has the Texarkana segment received FHWA approval, as either I-49 proper or Future I-49?

AHTD posted upthread that AHTD submitted its application to FHWA on March 31, and AHTD represented in its application that it anticipates a June, 2014 opening for the final section:

Quote from: AHTD on April 10, 2014, 05:11:43 PM
Application Submitted to FHWA for I-49 in Southwest Arkansas (03-31-14)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Request-south.pdf

My guess is that AHTD will receive approval in time for I-49 signage to be installed on the final section before the June opening; replacing the current AR 549 signs with I-49 signs north of the final section might take a longer time.

Quote from: O Tamandua on April 18, 2014, 01:43:33 PM
Somewhere on this forum there's a picture taken from a PowerPoint Texas Department of Transportation presentation, used by a Shreveport television station, showing the key corridor (from Canada through the central U.S. to both Mexico and (the nation's largest ports on) the Gulf of Mexico) that will run through Arkansas with a completed I-49.

Both the above-referenced map and a similar map can found at this post in another thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4510.msg292611#msg292611

O Tamandua

Thank you, Grzrd!  AHTD, here is the map I referred to:

Road Hog

A cryptic quote, AHTD!  Me hopey, to paraphrase an old saying.   ;-)

(And AHTD, let me modify this.  Somewhere on this forum there's a picture taken from a PowerPoint Texas Department of Transportation presentation, used by a Shreveport television station, showing the key corridor (from Canada through the central U.S. to both Mexico and (the nation's largest ports on) the Gulf of Mexico) that will run through Arkansas with a completed I-49.

To be fair to AHTD, media coverage in Arkansas generally emanates from Little Rock, which is a long way from the I-49 corridor, and consists of the Little Rock TV stations and the DOG. You shouldn't conflate media coverage with AHTD's PR efforts.

Gordon

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pressroom/dot1436shreveport.cfm . Here is a federal highway promotion for I 49. So I think there will not be a problem naming I 49 from Texarkana to Shreveport.

AHTD

We do not know the answer to this question.

AHTD

Quote from: Road Hog on April 18, 2014, 07:46:40 PM
A cryptic quote, AHTD!  Me hopey, to paraphrase an old saying.   ;)

To be fair to AHTD, media coverage in Arkansas generally emanates from Little Rock, which is a long way from the I-49 corridor, and consists of the Little Rock TV stations and the DOG. You shouldn't conflate media coverage with AHTD's PR efforts.

Hate to burst any bubbles, but consider the Highway Trust Fund. That is the priority because it impacts every state. Some (Arkansas) more than others. The best we can do now is build the sections that we can and hope for some additional funding. It's likely you will see bypasses constructed around Greenwood, Waldron or Mena next. But even that's a guess.

Remember: just because construction is beyond grasp at this time, doesn't mean we aren't working on it. There is much environmental being done as we speak. We do what we can as we can and try to be in position when the money is found.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Gordon on April 18, 2014, 09:47:18 PM
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pressroom/dot1436shreveport.cfm . Here is a federal highway promotion for I 49. So I think there will not be a problem naming I 49 from Texarkana to Shreveport.

Doesn't the I-49 North/I-220 interchange have to be completed as well as the final segment connecting with Arkansas built before they can officially plant I-49 shields? Also...how will the controversy over the I-49 Inner City Connector affect signage? If I-49 has to be rerouted through LA 3132 and I-220 (or, I-20 west and I-220), wouldn't that change the milepost signage greatly??

dariusb

No. I was on the new section open to traffic that terminates at North Market(La 1) in Shreveport and it had I-49 shields up.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

robbones

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 22, 2014, 01:13:53 AM

Doesn't the I-49 North/I-220 interchange have to be completed as well as the final segment connecting with Arkansas built before they can officially plant I-49 shields? Also...how will the controversy over the I-49 Inner City Connector affect signage? If I-49 has to be rerouted through LA 3132 and I-220 (or, I-20 west and I-220), wouldn't that change the milepost signage greatly??

Once the south extension is completed, the entire interstate in LA will have to be renumbered.  For example, the I 10 interchange would be exit 165, 166, or 167 depending on the exact  mileage the extension will be.

RBBrittain

Quote from: AHTD on April 21, 2014, 01:21:45 PM

We do not know the answer to this question.
The Texarkana MPO website has posted this copy of the Highway Commission's minute order, approved last week, authorizing the changeover from AR 549 to I-49 once FHWA approval is received:  http://www.texarkanampo.org/documents/announcements/Highway549_Section_1_AHTD.pdf

So now, FHWA is literally the only remaining obstacle to I-49 in Texarkana.  I suspect they'll approve it closer to the opening south of Doddridge, which IMO will be a joint AHTD/LaDOTD ceremony at the border with FHWA participation. (Ironically, I-49 North will get its first connection to other interstates thru Texarkana, not Shreveport. :D )

RBBrittain

IIRC the originally approved I-49 North route thru Shreveport used LA 3132 & I-220, with the existing I-49 north of LA 3132 expected to be renamed I-149.  (This was when everyone assumed the Inner City Connector would never happen.)  But then to this day virtually every milepost on I-40 in Tennessee assumes it was built thru Overton Park in Memphis; TDOT played with the exit numbers in Memphis to cover up the rerouting.  That would be an easy precedent for LaDOTD to follow, whether the Inner City Connector is built or not.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: RBBrittain on April 23, 2014, 01:46:29 AM

IIRC the originally approved I-49 North route thru Shreveport used LA 3132 & I-220, with the existing I-49 north of LA 3132 expected to be renamed I-149.  (This was when everyone assumed the Inner City Connector would never happen.)  But then to this day virtually every milepost on I-40 in Tennessee assumes it was built thru Overton Park in Memphis; TDOT played with the exit numbers in Memphis to cover up the rerouting.  That would be an easy precedent for LaDOTD to follow, whether the Inner City Connector is built or not.

Really?? From everything I have read from LADOTD, the plan was to keep I-49 from I-220 South to I-20, then run I-49 temporarily through I-20 west to I-220. Re-routing to LA 3132 and I-220 was never in the plans. Plus, the ICC enviromental studies just concluded that LA 3132 wasn't up to Interstate standards and needed improvements before it could be resigned as I-49, and that the I-220 bridge across Cross Lake would have to be reconstructed.

The main reason that the original North-South Expressway was truncated at I-20 was local opposition from the community of Allendale, and the lack of funding. (The segment now covered by the ICC was placed in the Federal Aid Primary system for future planning.)

In any case, the I-220 North interchange with I-49 is fully funded and under construction, and will be completed by next year, so that makes this a moot point. More than likely, the ICC will be built and the gap closed without rerouting.

Also..because the segment between I-220 South and I-20 would have connected to two Interstates, an even 3di would have been more likely (like I-249).

RBBrittain

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 23, 2014, 03:02:50 AM
Quote from: RBBrittain on April 23, 2014, 01:46:29 AM

Really?? From everything I have read from LADOTD, the plan was to keep I-49 from I-220 South to I-20, then run I-49 temporarily through I-20 west to I-220. Re-routing to LA 3132 and I-220 was never in the plans. Plus, the ICC enviromental studies just concluded that LA 3132 wasn't up to Interstate standards and needed improvements before it could be resigned as I-49, and that the I-220 bridge across Cross Lake would have to be reconstructed.

The main reason that the original North-South Expressway was truncated at I-20 was local opposition from the community of Allendale, and the lack of funding. (The segment now covered by the ICC was placed in the Federal Aid Primary system for future planning.)

In any case, the I-220 North interchange with I-49 is fully funded and under construction, and will be completed by next year, so that makes this a moot point. More than likely, the ICC will be built and the gap closed without rerouting.

Also..because the segment between I-220 South and I-20 would have connected to two Interstates, an even 3di would have been more likely (like I-249).
The way Shreveport is laid out, I-20 as the non-ICC I-49 route would have been incredibly out of the way; upgrading LA 3132 would make more sense, as a lot of thru traffic would use it anyway.  (In fact, the upgrades you're talking about are now an official "build" alternative, not just the "no build" alternative, to the ICC.) And though strictly speaking an even 3di seems to make more sense, that obviously didn't apply to I-369 in Texarkana (presently a spur off I-30, but planned as a thru connection from I-69 at Tenaha, TX north to I-30 & possibly I-49); IIRC the sources I read specifically suggested I-149 for that section.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: RBBrittain on April 23, 2014, 03:15:05 AM
The way Shreveport is laid out, I-20 as the non-ICC I-49 route would have been incredibly out of the way; upgrading LA 3132 would make more sense, as a lot of thru traffic would use it anyway.  (In fact, the upgrades you're talking about are now an official "build" alternative, not just the "no build" alternative, to the ICC.) And though strictly speaking an even 3di seems to make more sense, that obviously didn't apply to I-369 in Texarkana (presently a spur off I-30, but planned as a thru connection from I-69 at Tenaha, TX north to I-30 & possibly I-49); IIRC the sources I read specifically suggested I-149 for that section.

Not necessarily, since the only through traffic that would use the LA 3132/I-220 routing is traffic headed to-from points westward (i.e., Longview or Dallas) to-from points southward (Alexandria/Opelousas/Lafayette/Baton Rouge). And even then, that would require a major reconstruction of the I-49/I-220 South interchange to widen the S-W movements (the ramps of the current 4-level stack only handle one lane of traffic each). There is still plenty of traffic that uses I-49 to reach downtown, and the need for direct access from I-49 North that doesn't rely on US 71/LA 1 would justify the ICC on its own right.

Remember also that a loop alternative (along with widening of existing N/S arterials) was also provided as part of the original North-South Expressway studies in 1990, but was rejected for not providing direct freeway access to downtown.

O Tamandua

Quote from: Grzrd on March 24, 2014, 07:56:29 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on November 25, 2013, 11:23:14 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on November 05, 2013, 05:13:09 PM
This Oct. 31 Texarkana Gazette article (behind paywall) reports on a Texarkana Chamber of Commerce official mentioning the possibility of an I-49/I-(3)69 interchange in the Texarkana area, as well as the possibility of Texarkana becoming a major distribution hub
This November 25 Texarkana Gazette article (behind paywall) reports on comments by I-49 International Coalition President Curt Green that the completion of I-49 through Arkansas is needed for safety reasons and that the combination of I-49 and I-(3)69 will bring a lot of goods through Texarkana

This Arkansas Business article discusses I-49 and I-369 in Texarkana and suggests that progress on I-369 may spur some action from Arkansas on the Fort Smith-to-Texarkana section of I-49:

it's the sizable gap between Texarkana and Fort Smith through the Ouachita Mountains that remains the biggest hurdle to clear before I-49 can become a non-stop fast-track through the nation's middle.
While the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department have long-term plans in place to finish the approximately 170-mile section, a new interstate has made a surprise appearance in Texarkana (if anything in the slow-motion world of road-building could be described as a "surprise"  in the first place.) This new development could shift progress on I-49 into a higher gear ....
While I-69 has been sketched, adjusted and inspected since the days when Bill Clinton was president, recent years have seen the state of Texas hitting the acceleration pedal on the project, at least within its own borders. This has brought the highway to Texarkana's door.
The Alliance for I-69 in Texas is well-aware that its namesake interstate is nicknamed "The NAFTA Highway"  for its goal of connecting Canada with Mexico through the North American Free Trade Agreement. However, the Texans see their ports along the Gulf Coast and in Houston rising in importance once another project south of the border is completed. However, this project is even further south than Mexico — the Panama Canal ....
From Houston along its Gulf Coast, highways are being transformed into components of Interstate 69. The state is rallying hard, re-signing and redesignating over a thousand miles of interstate-standard highways in Texas to the I-69 route. These include spurs and connectors with names like I-69E, I-69C, I-69W and I-369.
Interstate 369 is what what will connect Texarkana with this increased number of imports due to appear in the region within the next decade.
Taking over what is now U.S. 59, I-369 will be a 115-mile spur reaching down from Texarkana to the vicinity of where the planned I-69 will cross into Texas southwest of Shreveport. The I-369 signs are already up around Texarkana and even online mapping sites display the designation.

Of course, if AHTD does not have any money ............

Grzrd, I want to "bump" this post. That was a fascinating article in Arkansas Business on TXK, with a fascinating graphic, too: 

O Tamandua

I'm reposting Grzrd's comments from earlier, plus some more from the aforementioned Arkansas Business "Texarkana" article from a few weeks ago (March 24)...it may be reporter's hyperbole, it may be wishful thinking, but MAN, it's juicy with I-49/I-69 stuff:

QuoteTexarkana central to upcoming transportation growth

"Interstate 49 is just one of the big road dreams becoming a reality for Texarkana. With its southern terminus in Lafayette, La., I-49 is a planned north-south route that will end in the Kansas City area. From there, travelers can continue north toward the Canadian border via either I-29 or I-35. Interstate 49 will fill in a longitudinal gap that has been missing from the nation's road map as the only north-south route between Jackson, Miss., and Dallas. Trucks picking up shipments from the Port of New Orleans traveling to the northern plains and beyond will no longer have to go out of their way through Memphis and St. Louis. It will save at least three hours of driving time to get from the Gulf of Mexico to Kansas City, and under normal circumstances, reduce the travel time from New Orleans to less than 12 hours....

...it's the sizable gap between Texarkana and Fort Smith through the Ouachita Mountains that remains the biggest hurdle to clear before I-49 can become a non-stop fast-track through the nation's middle.

While the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department have long-term plans in place to finish the approximately 170-mile section, a new interstate has made a surprise appearance in Texarkana (if anything in the slow-motion world of road-building could be described as a "surprise"  in the first place.) This new development could shift progress on I-49 into a higher gear....

While I-69 has been sketched, adjusted and inspected since the days when Bill Clinton was president, recent years have seen the state of Texas hitting the acceleration pedal on the project, at least within its own borders. This has brought the highway to Texarkana's door.

The Alliance for I-69 in Texas is well-aware that its namesake interstate is nicknamed "The NAFTA Highway"  for its goal of connecting Canada with Mexico through the North American Free Trade Agreement. However, the Texans see their ports along the Gulf Coast and in Houston rising in importance once another project south of the border is completed. However, this project is even further south than Mexico — the Panama Canal ....A major expansion of the Panama Canal began in 2007 widening the lanes of the waterway to allow shipping freighters triple the size of what's currently allowed to navigate between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Currently, most large ships from Asia have the choice of either docking somewhere on the western seaboard of the United States and have their cargo trucked across the country or to make the lengthy detour around the tip of South America to access the eastern seaboard. With a larger Panama Canal, those ships will be able to at last take a shortcut and make their way to Houston or New Orleans in a matter of days instead of weeks.

From Houston along its Gulf Coast, highways are being transformed into components of Interstate 69. The state is rallying hard, re-signing and redesignating over a thousand miles of interstate-standard highways in Texas to the I-69 route. These include spurs and connectors with names like I-69E, I-69C, I-69W and I-369.

Interstate 369 is what what will connect Texarkana with this increased number of imports due to appear in the region within the next decade.
Taking over what is now U.S. 59, I-369 will be a 115-mile spur reaching down from Texarkana to the vicinity of where the planned I-69 will cross into Texas southwest of Shreveport. The I-369 signs are already up around Texarkana and even online mapping sites display the designation.

Ten years ago, Texarkana had only one interstate. Today, it has the visible makings of three. (One more than West Memphis, the reigning hot spot in Arkansas for busy interstate junctions.) With $513 million to be saved annually by transportation companies across the seven-state area to be served by I-49 and the fast-approaching status of I-69 from the south, it's a safe bet Texarkana will remain in the middle of it all for decades to come."

dariusb

Yeah I loved this article. I think Texarkana is in for it's most successful boom/era since the 40's when Red River Army Depot and Lone Star Army Ammunition Plants were built.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

bugo

Will the Mena bypass run from Polk County road 70 near Irons Fork Lake to the proposed US 71 connector near the bowling alley just north of Old Potter?  I wonder if it will be signed as I-49, US 71, AR 549, or something else?  If it is indeed signed as US 71 it would mean that current US 59/71 through Mena would be US 59 solo, which would be interesting because locals always call the road US 71 and they never refer to it as US 59.  I assume CR 70 will be upgraded and added to the state highway system when I-49 is built because it is in rough shape and not capable of handling highway traffic.  I also wonder how I-49 will interchange with US 59/270 on each side of. Foran Gap.  All questions with unknown answers that only time will reveal.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 10, 2014, 08:37:24 PM
This May 9 article reports that a twelve-month study has begun to determine the best location for a welcome center along southbound I-49 North in Louisiana, no farther south than just below Ida
Quote from: US71 on May 12, 2014, 08:30:45 PM
I wonder if AHTD will follow suit around Doddridge?
(above quotes from I49 in LA thread)

I recently had an email Q & A with the Tourism Research & Information Services of the Arkansas Dept. of Parks & Tourism in order to see if Arkansas had any plans to build a Welcome Center counterpart to the one under study in Louisiana:

Q: Louisiana is now conducting a site study for a Welcome Center on southbound I-49 near the AR state line.  Is Arkansas planning on a new Welcome Center on northbound I-49 north of the state line?

A: Arkansas operates a Welcome Center in Texarkana; currently there is not another one planned for this area.

Here is a link to the arkansas.com page for the Texarkana Welcome Center:
http://www.arkansas.com/welcome-centers/texarkana.aspx

I suppose they do not see the need to build a new Welcome Center approximately thirty miles away from the Texarkana Welcome Center.  It looks like it is now up to the Fouke Monster to increase his appearances in order to gin up some tourism between the Louisiana state line and Texarkana.  :spin:

jbnv

Quote from: Grzrd on May 14, 2014, 12:49:21 PM
Q: Louisiana is now conducting a site study for a Welcome Center on southbound I-49 near the AR state line.  Is Arkansas planning on a new Welcome Center on northbound I-49 north of the state line?
A: Arkansas operates a Welcome Center in Texarkana; currently there is not another one planned for this area.

Why yes, Arkansas, I will be more than happy to proceed all the way to I-30, go west to the first Texas exit, turn around and go back and go out of my way to your welcome center. Or I may just pull off to the side of the road shortly past the border and relieve myself there.

EDIT: I don't know where the Texarkana rest area is. Looks like it is actually east of Texarkana. As US 71 said, there's also the one on US 71 north of Texarkana, if they keep it open. Point is that I'll probably find some way to take care of my needs before I get to either rest stop.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

US71

Quote from: jbnv on May 14, 2014, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 14, 2014, 12:49:21 PM

Why yes, Arkansas, I will be more than happy to proceed all the way to I-30, go west to the first Texas exit, turn around and go back to your welcome center. Or I may just pull off to the side of the road shortly past the border and relieve myself there.

There is also the "Red River" Rest Area on US 71 just south of the Red River, but AHTD has been threatening for years to close it, according to the people who work there.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.