News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Tamandua

Quote from: bugo on December 18, 2014, 12:59:27 PM
That article indicates that the first part of the US 412 bypass will be opened from I-49 to AR 112. That is probably why the signage plans have "TBD" in a US shield instead of "412".

I'm guessing there's a route map for this somewhere?  The article said it would be four miles long, but the distance from the I-49 exit at Wagon Wheel to AR 112 is 2 miles.  4 miles would take this new road to about the south entrance to the XNA airport.

yakra

A rough approximation of the alignment can be seen on OpenStreetMap.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on December 18, 2014, 02:39:52 PM
Quote from: bugo on December 18, 2014, 12:59:27 PM
That article indicates that the first part of the US 412 bypass will be opened from I-49 to AR 112. That is probably why the signage plans have "TBD" in a US shield instead of "412".

I'm guessing there's a route map for this somewhere?  The article said it would be four miles long, but the distance from the I-49 exit at Wagon Wheel to AR 112 is 2 miles.  4 miles would take this new road to about the south entrance to the XNA airport.
Yes, and that is part of the project: to build to where the XNA access road will be built.

http://kuaf.com/post/springdale-northern-bypass-gets-green-light
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 17, 2014, 03:45:11 PM
I'm not sure whether AHTD has confidence that MoDOT will be able to build their section of the Bella Vista Bypass in a few years or whether AHTD simply must honor its Connecting Arkansas Program commitment to Arkansas voters, but nevertheless a slide from the December 17 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission indicates that the final section of the BVB to the state line and the US 71 major interchange to replace the roundabout are scheduled for construction during the 2017-19 time period (page 28/38 of pdf)

In AHTD's January 7, 2015 presentation to the Asphalt Pavement Association, a Connecting Arkansas Program slide has the final section of the BVB to the state line and the US 71 major interchange to replace the roundabout scheduled for 2015 (page 8/18 of pdf):

Assuming this information is accurate, does this mean that AHTD has scratched the interim roundabout project?  Also, has MoDOT given AHTD positive signals about a "go" on their side of the state line?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 25, 2014, 08:06:01 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on June 23, 2014, 11:09:57 AM
This editorial mentions that former state Rep. Ed Thicksten will head up the "I-49 Build the Bridge" campaign and that he apparently has a track record of success in obtaining funding for major highway projects
This article includes some photos from today's I-49 dedication in Alma, including one of a "Build the Bridge" banner:

This January 8, 2015 article reports that the Western Arkansas Regional Intermodal Transportation Authority ("RITA") will place a great deal of emphasis on the I-49 Arkansas River crossing in 2015:

.... the Western Arkansas Regional Intermodal Transportation Authority .... Sebastian County Judge David Hudson ....
Meeting at the Riverpark Events Building in Fort Smith Wednesday, the regional transportation organization made up of local elected officials and private business leaders also agreed to keep "shining a light"  on the need for state and federal assistant [sic? - "assistance"?] with an Arkansas River bridge for Interstate 49 to tie in the 13-mile Fort Smith section of the continental highway.
"Nothing is going to happen until Congress comes up with a multi-year highway bill,"  Hudson pointed out.
RITA, however, met one of its main goals last year by hiring consultants to orchestrate a visit from U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, with U.S. Rep. Steve Womack-R, Rogers to tour I-49 construction in Fort Smith.

O Tamandua

Grzrd, regarding your two posts immediately above:

1.  This is only anecdotal, but I talked with a supervisor working with the crew building the Cty. Rd 34-to-Hwy 72 section who said he's raring to go on the 34-to-MO.-line one.  (If I were getting significant $$$ for it, I would be, too.)

2.  I've always thought of "the 3 Bs" left on Arkansas I-49 (the BV Bypass, the Ark River Bridge, the Big One between FSM-Texarkana) the last one won't happen until the first two do.  But again, now it's foolish to NOT dream of a completed I-49, and it's noteworthy that one of RITA's goals (the Rep. Bud Shuster visit) was accomplished last year with the help of Arkansas Rep. Steve Womack.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 09, 2014, 06:13:53 PM
Quote from: robbones on November 09, 2014, 01:09:07 PM
Any news on the Fort Smith section
IDriveArkansas is still estimating an early 2015 completion date (it will be designated upon completion as Future I-49 and I think as AR 549 instead of US 71):

IDriveArkansas is now indicating another delay and projecting a Mid 2015 completion date:

robbones

Maybe if AHTD would start penalizing the contractor for the delays, this section of highway would be open a lot sooner.

bjrush

Liquidated damages are hard to prove in court. Almost impossible, actually. Some NWA cities have gone away from using them altogether
Woo Pig Sooie

Henry

I just saw an exit list for the missing link on a Wikipedia page for I-49 in AR, and noticed that most of the route traces the existing one for US 71. Does anyone have a map of the more defined alignment between Texarkana and Fort Smith, including the Fort Chaffee section?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: Henry on January 13, 2015, 01:03:59 PM
I just saw an exit list for the missing link on a Wikipedia page for I-49 in AR, and noticed that most of the route traces the existing one for US 71. Does anyone have a map of the more defined alignment between Texarkana and Fort Smith, including the Fort Chaffee section?

The map in this post, as well as the map in the post's link to the Texarkana thread, should give you a pretty good idea of the alignment and the relationship to US 71.

edit

The complete map mentioned above may be found at page 4/36 of this pdf.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 09, 2015, 04:16:17 PM
In AHTD's January 7, 2015 presentation to the Asphalt Pavement Association, a Connecting Arkansas Program slide has the final section of the BVB to the state line and the US 71 major interchange to replace the roundabout scheduled for 2015 (page 8/18 of pdf) ....
Assuming this information is accurate, does this mean that AHTD has scratched the interim roundabout project?  Also, has MoDOT given AHTD positive signals about a "go" on their side of the state line?

With forum member AHTD on sabbatical, I had to return to the "old way" of emailing agency AHTD to ask if the information on the slide is accurate.  To make a long story short, the information is technically accurate, but is contingent upon a yet-to-be received "go" from MoDOT and may well roll over into future years:

Actually those should have been listed as TBD. Originally scheduled for 2014, we have "rolled over"  these projects to 2015 and will continue to do so until Missouri is able to meet us at the state line.
So technically right now they are scheduled for 2015, but no letting date has been set.

I thought it was too good to be true ...............

M86

http://www.4029tv.com/news/multiplevehicle-crash-backs-up-interstate-49-in-rogers/30711474

Another death on I-49 in Northwest Arkansas.  Why does AHTD refuse to put roadway lighting in?  This may have prevented this, and helped emergency responders.

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 15, 2015, 02:08:54 AM
http://www.4029tv.com/news/multiplevehicle-crash-backs-up-interstate-49-in-rogers/30711474

Another death on I-49 in Northwest Arkansas.  Why does AHTD refuse to put roadway lighting in?  This may have prevented this, and helped emergency responders.

Money?

M86

Quote from: US71 on January 15, 2015, 08:02:28 PM
Quote from: M86 on January 15, 2015, 02:08:54 AM

Money?

No, it's their antiquated policy.

NE2

Holy shit. Some Wikipediot copied the major intersections from US 71 into the I-49 exit list.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on January 23, 2015, 08:51:54 AM
Holy shit. Some Wikipediot copied the major intersections from US 71 into the I-49 exit list.

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, is he? I see several things that are messed-up, but I don't have the time to update or change things

NE2

Quote from: US71 on January 23, 2015, 09:27:56 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 23, 2015, 08:51:54 AM

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, is he? I see several things that are messed-up, but I don't have the time to update or change things
No need; I noticed it while I was doing an overhaul.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

M86

http://5newsonline.com/2015/01/23/arkansas-highway-officials-investigate-recent-wrong-way-crashes-on-i-49/

I've only seen those reflectors at the Don Tyson & I-49 interchange.  I've seen portions of highways (US 71 in Bella Vista and US 62 in Rogers) that have reflectors put in, and they don't last.  The Pleasant Grove interchange and Sunset interchange do not have any reflectors that would deter wrong way drivers.

US 62 in Rogers east of I-49 did them and it looks like they gave up, because it was only a partial stretch on one side of the road for a short section.

I know exactly how the wrong way crash happened at the Pleasant Grove exit.  It's designed different, and there's no medians on the west side of it.

ARMOURERERIC

Just checked out GSV for Ft Smith, it shows the Ft Chaffee Crossing complete and open.  Is that correct?

NE2

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 24, 2015, 03:01:36 AM
Just checked out GSV for Ft Smith, it shows the Ft Chaffee Crossing complete and open.  Is that correct?
Link? The street view I'm seeing is from April-May 2014, with it still under construction.

US71

Quote from: NE2 on January 24, 2015, 05:31:22 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 24, 2015, 03:01:36 AM
Link? The street view I'm seeing is from April-May 2014, with it still under construction.

Still under construction, but supposed to open this Summer.  As of December 2014, the shoulders have yet to be paved.

Grzrd

In his January 28 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission, AHTD Director Scott Bennett included four photos of recent Bella Vista Bypass construction (pages 42-45/59 of pdf).  Here is a snip of one of the photos:

M86

Quote from: Grzrd on January 28, 2015, 09:06:26 PM
In his January 28 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission, AHTD Director Scott Bennett included four photos of recent Bella Vista Bypass construction (pages 42-45/59 of pdf).  Here is a snip of one of the photos:

LOL... Yeah, we get a single-lane construction of a future Interstate. Not to mention that this will cost more in the end to construct it to a full Interstate.  And now AHTD wants to widen I-630 in Little Rock.  Not needed... Little Rock has other traffic issues.     I'm sorry, but Dick Trammel has done nothing for NWA. 
[/quote]

US71

Quote from: M86 on January 30, 2015, 01:51:12 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 28, 2015, 09:06:26 PM

LOL... Yeah, we get a single-lane construction of a future Interstate. Not to mention that this will cost more in the end to construct it to a full Interstate.  And now AHTD wants to widen I-630 in Little Rock.  Not needed... Little Rock has other traffic issues.     I'm sorry, but Dick Trammel has done nothing for NWA. 

Having seen him at the I-49 "dedication" near Alma, he is basically a fast-talking, slick car salesman, IMO.  Or your typical politician.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.