AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: 6 Laning I-40  (Read 49158 times)

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
6 Laning I-40
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »

It was announced yesterday that AHTD is widening I-40 to 6 lanes along an 23 mile stretch beginning at US 65 Conway and proceeding east.  This project has been on-going since at least early March, so I don't know why it took the media so long to report this Or, more precisely: why AHTD waited so long to say something.

Up to now, it has mostly been median work, but I noticed this past weekend that construction has begun on a new bridge over US 64.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:55:34 PM by US71 »
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

okroads

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:59:45 PM
    • OKRoads Flickr
Re: 6 Laning I-40
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »

It was announced yesterday that AHTD is widening I-40 to 6 lanes along an 23 mile stretch beginning at US 65 Conway and proceeding east.  This project has been on-going since at least early March, so I don't know why it took the media so long to report this Or, more precisely: why AHTD waited so long to say something.

Up to now, it has mostly been median work, but I noticed this past weekend that construction has begun on a new bridge over US 64.

I noticed this construction when I was traveling through this part of Arkansas last Thursday. Now if AHTD can only widen I-40 between Little Rock & Memphis...

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »

It was announced yesterday that AHTD is widening I-40 to 6 lanes along an 23 mile stretch beginning at US 65 Conway and proceeding east.  This project has been on-going since at least early March, so I don't know why it took the media so long to report this Or, more precisely: why AHTD waited so long to say something.

I noticed this construction when I was traveling through this part of Arkansas last Thursday. Now if AHTD can only widen I-40 between Little Rock & Memphis...

Well, they're currently replacing the White River bridges, so maybe that's the beginning of widening that part of I-40 ? :rofl:

Brian556

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:18:44 PM
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:09 PM »

Well, they're currently replacing the White River bridges, so maybe that's the beginning of widening that part of I-40 ?

Damn, I psychic. I just knew that would happen. After the flooding of this stretch of highway about a year ago, that combined with it's outdated design, I just knew that they would redo it. Having such an important interstate flood, with the only detour routes availible halfway across the state really made AHTD look bad. This is pretty dang fast respose. Wish TxDot operated like this!

Was this already in the plans? Was this project fast tracked after the flooding last year?

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:07:29 PM »

Well, they're currently replacing the White River bridges, so maybe that's the beginning of widening that part of I-40 ?

Damn, I psychic. I just knew that would happen. After the flooding of this stretch of highway about a year ago, that combined with it's outdated design, I just knew that they would redo it. Having such an important interstate flood, with the only detour routes availible halfway across the state really made AHTD look bad. This is pretty dang fast respose. Wish TxDot operated like this!

Was this already in the plans? Was this project fast tracked after the flooding last year?

The plans were already in place, but there was no money until the bond issue was renewed a few months ago. It wouldn't surprise me if it was fast-tracked after money became available. Right now, the WB bridge is being replaced so you basically have 2 Way traffic in the EB lanes. Anyone who is traveling in that vicinity, I'd strongly recommend detouring to US 70 between Hazen and Brinkley

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »

As recently discussed in this General Highway Talk thread, Arkansas is going through the process of hiring a consultant to study the feasibility of tolling I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis.  Here is a March 22 TV video report about it.  I wonder if there is any possibility of having the two new "third lanes" be built as HOT lanes?  My understanding is that this is one of the most heavily travelled corridors in the country. My instincts say that notion would not fly, but I suppose the consultant will examine that possibility, too.

M86

• Livin' the dream, in my dreams

• Last Login: August 09, 2023, 07:13:01 PM
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 12:57:32 AM »

This is needed, I won't deny that.  And AHTD has a horrible website, period.   But... Why can't I-540 between Fayetteville and Bentonville/Rogers with the Bella Vista bypass receive priority?  That segment is so ridden with accidents, it's sad!  Again, I would love to look at the accident statistics for both roadways.

rte66man

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:53:16 PM
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »

I noticed that many of the overpasses and bridges between Conway and Little Rock have already been widened.  How long is the project scheduled to take?

Also, does the White River bridge rebuild include additional lanes?  Are they going to fix the roadbed both east and west of the bridge?

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »

I noticed that many of the overpasses and bridges between Conway and Little Rock have already been widened.  How long is the project scheduled to take?
The first 8 miles from US 65 should be complete in 2014. The rest of it is "whenever the money is available"

Also, does the White River bridge rebuild include additional lanes?  Are they going to fix the roadbed both east and west of the bridge?

I've not heard if there will be extra lanes or not. I'm assuming the roadbed will be improved, but I've not looked at the construction very closely.

msunat97

• Last Login: June 30, 2023, 07:43:36 PM
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »

I-40 Update between Conway & Little Rock...

The new bridge over 64 in Conway has new beams across the Westbound side.  They should be laying the road deck soon.  Traffic should be able to detour on it within a few months.
There are 2 water bridges between mile markers 130 & 132.  Both of them have the supports in place & most if not all of the decking completed.  One of the bridges has a paved approach with the base of the concrete divider.  They started adding the upright part of the concrete divider around mile marker 130 yesterday.

Per the AHTD info after our new tax passed last year, we should see more construction start on the rest of the widening in July.  There are survey markers along I-40 from the end of the construction until you reach the I-430 interchange.  With all the bridges expanded for 3 lanes, the actual road construction should proceed quickly...let's hope anyway since I drive it every day.

Scheduled completion is 2017-2018.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »

I-40 Update between Conway & Little Rock...

The new bridge over 64 in Conway has new beams across the Westbound side.  They should be laying the road deck soon.  Traffic should be able to detour on it within a few months.
There are 2 water bridges between mile markers 130 & 132.  Both of them have the supports in place & most if not all of the decking completed.  One of the bridges has a paved approach with the base of the concrete divider.  They started adding the upright part of the concrete divider around mile marker 130 yesterday.

That would be Lake Conway.

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 02:15:33 AM
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »

I'm not derailing anything.  I'm correcting an error.  North Little Rock is a separate city from Little Rock.  They are divided by the Arkansas River.  They have their own identities.  NLR used to be called Argenta, and I wish they had kept that name.

Part of it still is: there's an Argenta neighborhood. Supposedly has some good places to eat and a good market :)

It's served by the trolley line that crosses the river. Everything in sight is Argenta this and Argenta that. It was like a dollar to ride a whole circuit from the Clinton Library.

Back to 6-laning I-40 ... Should've been done 15 years ago.

msunat97

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »

New "Road Construction Ahead" & "Road Construction Next 4 miles" signs have been put up on Eastbound I-40 at the end of the existing construction & at the Faulker-Pulaski County lines on the Westbound side of 40.  This will cover the Mayflower area.  I'll post when dirt starts moving.

I agree with the previous posters...it's past time to get this work done.

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »

New "Road Construction Ahead" & "Road Construction Next 4 miles" signs have been put up on Eastbound I-40 at the end of the existing construction & at the Faulker-Pulaski County lines on the Westbound side of 40.  This will cover the Mayflower area. 

That could be problematic.

msunat97

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »

US71 - very true...they have lined barrels from the end of the current zone to Hwy 89 in Mayflower.  I need signs along the side of the road talking about lane shifts & closures.  It could get ugly if they shutdown lanes of traffic like it is in Russellville.

msunat97

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »

There are now concrete barriers from the end of the current construction zone to Hwy 89 on the Eastbound side.  There are barriers from Hwy 89 going towards the existing zone, but the barriers aren't to it yet.  Looks like that will be complete this week.

msunat97

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »

The construction zone now stretches from Hwy 89 in Mayflower to the Hwy 65 exit in Conway.  There are dirt movers pushing up the grass & dirt in the median.

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
AHTD Survey Re Tolling I-40
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »

As recently discussed in this General Highway Talk thread, Arkansas is going through the process of hiring a consultant to study the feasibility of tolling I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis.  Here is a March 22 TV video report about it.  I wonder if there is any possibility of having the two new "third lanes" be built as HOT lanes?  My understanding is that this is one of the most heavily travelled corridors in the country. My instincts say that notion would not fly, but I suppose the consultant will examine that possibility, too.

AHTD has posted an Arkansas I-40 Travel Survey on its website.  The questions on the survey strongly suggest that AHTD is considering HOT lanes between North Little Rock and West Memphis.
BTW if you complete the survey you have a chance to win a $100 AmEx gift card.

edit

This article confirms that AHTD's consultant is studying the feasibility of tolling a new, third lane:

I heard that if you widen the Interstate, you can toll the new lane.  How will that work?  This study will determine if tolling a new, third lane will be feasible.  Many factors go into that decision including the safety of the driving public, the amount of traffic in the new lane, traffic speed,  how tolls are collected, the toll price, the expected time savings

second edit

This TV video report discusses the possibility of adding HOT lanes to I-40.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:48:51 AM by Grzrd »

msunat97

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »

Quick update on the expansion South of Conway...the 2 bridge decks over Lake Conway are complete.  They are laying the asphalt approach to the Southern most bridge around mile marker 132.  There is about a mile of concrete divider from marker 131 to 130.  The Nothern bridge has concrete barriers completed on the inner sides of each side.  There is a concrete barrier from that bridge to about exit 129.

They were building the concrete barrier on the new side of the Hwy 64 overpass last week.  Hopefully, they will get that side open soon to traffic & rebuild the Western side of that overpass.  They were also forming the tall median divider between the Hwy 64 overpass & the Hwy 65 exit.  I saw some of that last Sunday. 

msunat97

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »

Traffic is being diverted on to the new Lake Conway bridge South of Conway (mile marker 131-132).  It looks like that will be done today for both northbound & southbound traffic.

msunat97

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »

Just the Southbound lane has been diverted.  The Northbound lane needs some more TLC before it's ready.  Should be any day now for that to happen.

RoadSigma

• Last Login: July 08, 2017, 01:11:10 PM
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 01:10:18 PM »

The plans were already in place, but there was no money until the bond issue was renewed a few months ago. It wouldn't surprise me if it was fast-tracked after money became available. Right now, the WB bridge is being replaced so you basically have 2 Way traffic in the EB lanes. Anyone who is traveling in that vicinity, I'd strongly recommend detouring to US 70 between Hazen and Brinkley

Total agreement, I went through there in February and it was very bad!!

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 02:15:33 AM
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 01:33:50 AM »

Total agreement, I went through there in February and it was very bad!!

I got a dose of it last summer. Westbound traffic was backed up about 12 miles from the bridge and stopped cold for nearly two hours. On a Sunday afternoon.

rte66man

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:53:16 PM
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »

I got a dose of it last summer. Westbound traffic was backed up about 12 miles from the bridge and stopped cold for nearly two hours. On a Sunday afternoon.

I fail to understand why the Highway Dept doesn't post webcams at either end of the construction zone with feeds to the Welcome Centers in West Memphis and Fort Smith.  Those with wireless access could also see the feed from their phones/tablets/etc and judge accordingly whether to detour through DeValls Bluff on US70.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

• Mad man with a camera

• The Road Less Taken
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »

I fail to understand why the Highway Dept doesn't post webcams at either end of the construction zone with feeds to the Welcome Centers in West Memphis and Fort Smith.  Those with wireless access could also see the feed from their phones/tablets/etc and judge accordingly whether to detour through DeValls Bluff on US70.

rte66man

Money? AHTD is notorious for complaining they don't have enough money (then spending what they do have on pet projects)

There are VMS's warning of construction, but it's not until you get close that they advise taking a detour.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.