News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ran4sh on March 21, 2021, 01:57:04 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on March 20, 2021, 07:16:44 PM
Also, has anyone attempted to make a collector/express freeway in C:S (like Highway 401 in Toronto)? I have a feeling that in C:S, no one would use the express lanes since they always calculate that the shortest route, and changing to express lanes and changing back to exit adds distance.

I had that thought too, that if you build an express/local freeway there would be no way to incentivize traffic to use the express lanes. So I tried an alternative. Knowing that the concept of local and express also exists in subway/transit systems, I thought of other types of service patterns that are used and could be applied to highways in C:S. The A/B (alternating stop) pattern is another type of transit service pattern and I thought of a way to apply it in C:S. What I ended up doing was building a highway where the inner and outer lanes cross over and switch sides every exit, with occasional ramps to allow traffic to switch to the other set of lanes. This worked out well, I noticed that the traffic would end up getting on whichever set of lanes ended up accessing the exit that they needed.

Could always try TM:PE and just make the 'local' lanes a lower speed limit.

ran4sh

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 21, 2021, 04:43:40 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on March 21, 2021, 01:57:04 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on March 20, 2021, 07:16:44 PM
Also, has anyone attempted to make a collector/express freeway in C:S (like Highway 401 in Toronto)? I have a feeling that in C:S, no one would use the express lanes since they always calculate that the shortest route, and changing to express lanes and changing back to exit adds distance.

I had that thought too, that if you build an express/local freeway there would be no way to incentivize traffic to use the express lanes. So I tried an alternative. Knowing that the concept of local and express also exists in subway/transit systems, I thought of other types of service patterns that are used and could be applied to highways in C:S. The A/B (alternating stop) pattern is another type of transit service pattern and I thought of a way to apply it in C:S. What I ended up doing was building a highway where the inner and outer lanes cross over and switch sides every exit, with occasional ramps to allow traffic to switch to the other set of lanes. This worked out well, I noticed that the traffic would end up getting on whichever set of lanes ended up accessing the exit that they needed.

Could always try TM:PE and just make the 'local' lanes a lower speed limit.

Sure, but that was before I started using that mod, and I still prefer to start new game files without the mod until the traffic becomes too much of a problem
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

jakeroot

Quote from: ran4sh on March 22, 2021, 01:08:29 AM
Sure, but that was before I started using that mod, and I still prefer to start new game files without the mod until the traffic becomes too much of a problem

As a long-time player: I really don't understand the logic.

First, mods don't always work as well when they're added to an active save. On the other hand, starting a fresh save with all the mods you want is a generally-guaranteed way to avoid the potential for errors and whatnot. I really don't see the advantage in waiting to add the mods. The biggest hurdle when loading a game, honestly, is assets. Mods really don't screw with load times too much, although certain select mods certainly can, yes.

Second, effective use of TM:PE would likely prevent traffic getting to a problematic point to begin with. Since I started using TM:PE, frankly, heavy traffic is quite rare and easily avoidable with the right level of know-how when it comes to road building and traffic operations.

fmendes

Quote from: jakeroot on March 23, 2021, 01:58:30 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on March 22, 2021, 01:08:29 AM

As a long-time player: I really don't understand the logic.

First, mods don't always work as well when they're added to an active save. On the other hand, starting a fresh save with all the mods you want is a generally-guaranteed way to avoid the potential for errors and whatnot. I really don't see the advantage in waiting to add the mods. The biggest hurdle when loading a game, honestly, is assets. Mods really don't screw with load times too much, although certain select mods certainly can, yes.

Second, effective use of TM:PE would likely prevent traffic getting to a problematic point to begin with. Since I started using TM:PE, frankly, heavy traffic is quite rare and easily avoidable with the right level of know-how when it comes to road building and traffic operations.
yeah i like to over build ahead ahead of time so u dont have to build a bigger highway by either building the highway wide or leaving a very Wide ROW in the highway to allow for expansion which is what i do in all my cities to allow for C/D roads or Express lanes

Ned Weasel

Might as well share another one:

https://youtu.be/uLJhTA55DOs

Has anyone noticed how RIRO expressways ("Jersey Freeways") work remarkably well in Cities: Skylines?  But as soon as you put a traffic signal on an expressway mainline, you're probably asking for trouble.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

johndoe

so I finally broke down and am no longer 100% vanilla!  I got "lifecycle rebalance revisited" to help the death wave issue.  After like 5 minutes of running all the problem seemed to be addressed.  Maybe this will get me to fire up the game more often.

JoePCool14

Quote from: johndoe on April 10, 2021, 12:59:04 PM
so I finally broke down and am no longer 100% vanilla!  I got "lifecycle rebalance revisited" to help the death wave issue.  After like 5 minutes of running all the problem seemed to be addressed.  Maybe this will get me to fire up the game more often.

Nice! Vanilla C:S is fine, but after a while some of the game's quirks become hard to ignore and you just want to use mods to fix them.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

andrepoiy

Going back to my comment about a collector-express system, I have started a new city and I will put it to the test. Here's how it looks like empty, will post again when I move people in:

vtk

Here's an interchange I just finished today:
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

fmendes

Quote from: andrepoiy on April 10, 2021, 08:42:49 PM
Going back to my comment about a collector-express system, I have started a new city and I will put it to the test. Here's how it looks like empty, will post again when I move people in:

another tip i suggest is do direct connections to the express lanes to encourage people to use them because of its fast connection to the lanes so people that want to travel thru ur city and want to link up to the other highway they can use a direct connection at major exits

jakeroot

Here's something I haven't done in forever: I built myself a cloverleaf. Well, partial cloverleaf, but you still have that weaving between a couple of the movements:

vtk

The progression of history shown and implied in your animation is very cool!
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on April 15, 2021, 07:33:13 AM
The progression of history shown and implied in your animation is very cool!

That was my goal. I always hate these pictures (nothing personal against anyone) where we just see monstrous freeways with no backstory. I'm not JRR Tolkien, but I would like to at least provide some story with what I'm doing in my city. That starts with some before and after photos, at least.

With any luck, I'll have another .gif by end of the day. Traffic flow has changed enough to warrant the closure of two of the loops.

In the interest of fairness, I did not create this map; this is the map on the Workshop. The roads were originally laid by the author, and I've been having fun building a city from the map and modifying/playing with the roads to suit my modifications. Of which there are many.

andarcondadont

Does anyone else take the time to name their streets?

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: andarcondadont on April 25, 2021, 03:06:30 PM
I name my streets.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

andarcondadont

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 25, 2021, 03:12:40 PM
I name my streets.
Any specific theme or pattern you follow with your named streets? I'll also open this question to anyone else that names streets.

JoePCool14

I started playing the game on Day 1, when street names weren't a thing. My city grew to take up almost 25 tiles by the time street names came out. For me to go around naming every little street would be a nightmare. A fun nightmare, but not something I really cared to do.

What I did instead was just name my Interstates, freeways, and tollways, and then as I built new neighborhoods and districts, I'd name the new streets I built. I also started naming some streets and giving other roads route numbers so I could create mock BGS for exits.

My main map has been potentially lost (it had so much "history and lore" :-(), and on every other map I've started, I can't really be bothered to name the streets, so I just turn them off altogether.

Quote from: andarcondadont on April 25, 2021, 03:24:03 PM
I name my streets.
Any specific theme or pattern you follow with your named streets? I'll also open this question to anyone else that names streets.

Whenever I created new neighborhoods, I would try to stick to a theme. For example, I distinctly remember using U.K. cities and French cities just to name two themes. I think I also had some sections where I used names of people I knew, places I've been, real streets in my area, and more. Theming is the easiest way, unless you have one specific person, event, or thing you want to "honor".

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: andarcondadont on April 25, 2021, 03:24:03 PM
I name my streets.
Nothing fancy, mostly just after my friends.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

andrepoiy

I name some of my streets, mainly the important ones.

rickmastfan67

Only till I unlocked the Steam achievement for it.  :-D

fmendes

here is my interchange i have built on a section of highway that has a complex car and truck lane system like the NJ turnpike I'm also in the process of expanding this system and constructing a massive interchange west of here which will connect to a beltway around here and this system handles a lot of traffic volume and will handle more once I complete a new neiberhood click the link for a photo of it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CflRGQfFwlv3z11yuZxfalV-2ysnQ0yK/view?usp=sharing

paulthemapguy

Yes.  I have to name the streets to determine what the names of my stops on my transit lines will be...and I need to name them so I can determine what my BGS exit signage will look like.  I'll draw schematic transit (heavy rail) maps and I'll draw out what the BGS's will look along the freeways, on paper.  I also name my neighborhoods.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

fmendes

alright guys im calling on all u people who make some good and detailed Spaghetti Junctions like the Springfield interchange In Washington DC

Ned Weasel

None of these are very well detailed, because I don't like fussing with a million mods, but here's what I've been building with Unlimited Money lately, just for kicks:

I'd love to know if an interchange like this exists anywhere in the wild:

Bridge and tunnel entrance/exit:

Michigan Lefts (thanks to TM:PE) and a diverging diamond (vanilla):

C-D lanes and freeway tangles that would probably be silly IRL:

Tollway service plazas:

I wish there was a way to restrict the access on that service road to fire and police vehicles only:

Lonely (for now) airport, with a cloverstack and another service plaza:

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

andarcondadont

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 31, 2021, 10:32:56 AM
None of these are very well detailed, because I don't like fussing with a million mods, but here's what I've been building with Unlimited Money lately, just for kicks:

I'd love to know if an interchange like this exists anywhere in the wild:

Bridge and tunnel entrance/exit:

Michigan Lefts (thanks to TM:PE) and a diverging diamond (vanilla):

C-D lanes and freeway tangles that would probably be silly IRL:

Tollway service plazas:

I wish there was a way to restrict the access on that service road to fire and police vehicles only:

Lonely (for now) airport, with a cloverstack and another service plaza:

Well it looks like you used TM:PE for the Michigan left. If you have TM:PE, there is a feature to restrict access to certain vehicles.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.