News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest time gap between route designations for the same road

Started by TheStranger, April 09, 2021, 02:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

I thought of this after seeing the Route 262 trailblazer in Fremont's Warm Springs district this past afternoon - https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24485.msg2594677#msg2594677 - because while this stretch of Mission Boulevard has had numerous designations since being US 48, it hadn't been signed as anything since a 1960s stint as temporary Route 238, until possibly this past year with the new sign installation - a gap of over 5 decades.

262 had been first signed along I-680 south in the mid 2000s, with more signs added as part of the toll/HOV lane that was built a few years ago, but this is the first time in years that portion of Mission itself has had any mainline signage. 

Are there any other examples of a signed road that was completely removed from a numbered route system, then added back many years later?  (For this to count, signage marking the road's number must be in place, so a new designation that was given entirely legislatively/on-paper without any field signage would not count)
Chris Sampang

NWI_Irish96

Not nearly as many years, but IN 329 in Logansport was removed from the state highway system, but returned, partially as 329 and partially as a rerouted 25.

Only road segment in Indiana I can think of that was removed from the state highway system and later added back.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dirt Roads

In my dad's neck of the woods:  After completion of I-79, WV-5 was truncated at Exit 79 to make way for the construction of the Burnsville Dam upstream on the Little Kanawha River.  WV-5 was extended back to US-19 at Napier via Salt Lick Creek Road (double rhyme, as they'all say "crick").  I'm pretty sure that this was in 1979, but can't find the exact date.  The portion of Salt Lick Creek Road between Burnsville and Gem had been previously numbered as WV-94 in the early 1940s, but was retracted back to a "county road" in 1946.  If I'm correct, we're looking at about 33 years between route designations.

Not all of WV-94 remained when WV-5 was routed over to Napier, as the portion entering downtown Burnsville was demolished (along with much of the town along Salt Lick Creek) when I-79 was constructed around the west side of the town.  CR-3 was rerouted onto a new section called "Walbash Street" along the west side of the interstate.  This portion of Burnsville was in serious disrepair before the Interstate came through, as the Little Kanawha River frequently backed up and flooded both Oil Creek and Salt Lick Creek after most storms.  Most folks around there supported the construction of Burnsville Dam for flood control, but changed their minds after the Interstate raised the roadway elevations and removed most of the houses from the flood plains.

Some folks may find it odd that WV-94 only went to Gem and not all the way to US-19 at Napier.  But in that part of Braxton County, the "main road" is CR-2 from Gem to Copen to Cedar Creek (in Gilmer County). 

Mapmikey

South Carolina could be a good candidate for this, as they decommissioned well above 100 state highways in 1946.

In more recent times they have added new state highways as new construction.

But they did reinstate one of these routes in 1973 for a gap of 27 years - SC 302 southwest of Aiken (old SC 106).

North Carolina has not decommissioned all that many state route corridors. But one that might qualify for this thread is NC 225 whose 1998 alignment was mostly assigned to a road that was removed from the state highway system as US 25 in 1974 for a gap of 25 years.

Virginia has a 49 year example - VA 57 east of US 29 was decommissioned in 1952 (31 miles) and was put back into the system as VA 57 in 2001.

hbelkins

I'm not sure if the online official orders in the SPRS listings for Jackson County, Ky., would reflect this, but at some point in my youth KY 579 in Annville was removed and it became a county road. It was later redesignated as a state highway, KY 344(something) and is actually signed as the route from the new KY 30 alignment into Annville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Can anyone beat 78 years?

NC 10 was originally on the modern alignment of US 70 at I-840 east of Greensboro, crossing the railroad at-grade just north of the modern bridge and then crossing South Buffalo Creek on a low bridge (1930 replacement still stands). The 1920 Automobile Blue Book clearly shows this alignment, and it's the only one on a 1920 soil survey map.

In 1924, the underpass on Old Burlington Road under the railroad was built, and NC 10 was realigned, coming into the old route just west of the South Buffalo Creek bridge. County maps from 1930 on show NC 10/US 70 on the southern alignment.

US 70 was finally moved back onto the northern alignment in 2002 (per bridges) as part of the I-840 project. The only difference between the pre-1924 and post-2002 alignments is east of the curve just west of the railroad bridge.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 11, 2021, 01:14:55 AM

NC 10 was originally on the modern alignment of US 70 at I-840 east of Greensboro, crossing the railroad at-grade just north of the modern bridge and then crossing South Buffalo Creek on a low bridge (1930 replacement still stands). The 1920 Automobile Blue Book clearly shows this alignment, and it's the only one on a 1920 soil survey map.

In 1924, the underpass on Old Burlington Road under the railroad was built, and NC 10 was realigned, coming into the old route just west of the South Buffalo Creek bridge. County maps from 1930 on show NC 10/US 70 on the southern alignment.

US 70 was finally moved back onto the northern alignment in 2002 (per bridges) as part of the I-840 project. The only difference between the pre-1924 and post-2002 alignments is east of the curve just west of the railroad bridge.
That doesn't count. US 70 didn't exist when NC 10 was moved, and NC 10 doesn't exist now. (:

NE2

Quote from: Alps on April 11, 2021, 01:22:20 AM
That doesn't count. US 70 didn't exist when NC 10 was moved, and NC 10 doesn't exist now. (:
Nobody said the number had to be the same.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

fillup420

Quote from: NE2 on April 11, 2021, 07:22:20 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 11, 2021, 01:22:20 AM
Nobody said the number had to be the same.

NC 10 is still alive! It is relegated to a short segment of its former self in central part of the state. There are also a few "old NC 10" roads scattered about. The most notable one being in Orange county

US 89

Utah has one example of 81 49 years - a 455-foot-long segment of State Street in Fairview.

It was part of the original US 89 (and hidden legislative SR 32), which used to run through Milburn on its way north from Fairview towards Utah County. In 1937, US 89 was moved to a new bypass between Fairview and Hilltop, and the old route through Milburn was returned to local jurisdiction. But given the awkward geometry of the new 89 alignment's intersection with SR 31, the half-block of old alignment between 31 and new 89 continued to be used essentially as a wye shortcut. In 2018, Fairview asked UDOT to take over maintenance and that segment became SR 231 - the shortest state highway in Utah.

EDIT: forgot they kept the Fairview-Milburn road on the state system until 1969 as SR 91.

NE2

US 89

Quote from: NE2 on April 11, 2021, 01:47:21 PM
Quote from: US 89 on April 11, 2021, 11:02:46 AM

Utah has one example of 81 years - a 455-foot-long segment of State Street in Fairview.

Was this not part of SR-91 until 1969?

Goddammit, you're right. Somehow I missed that they kept the part south of Milburn as another route.

usends

I can tie it: Grant Ave. in La Junta Colorado was US 350 until 1934, and then again starting in 2012.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

ftballfan

Chicago Dr in Ottawa County, Michigan was M-21 until the early 1970s, became a county road, then became a state highway again (as M-121) in around 2010

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.