News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 27, 2020, 04:38:39 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 27, 2020, 12:41:41 PM
I think all of the above goes back to the point of whether or not it was a good idea to route 95 through Wilmington.  The long distance traffic mixes with the local traffic.  A lot more bypass traffic would probably take 495 if it were numbered 95.

I-495 in Delaware is signed (in terms of control cities) to encourage "thru" trips to use it as a bypass of I-95. 

That, combined with drivers that know that I-495 is a better (as in faster with less interchanges) road than I-95 are probably taking it now.  I have never had issues taking either one, except during the problem in 2014 with the I-495 bridge over the Christiana River that forced a hard closure of I-495 that lasted several weeks.

Agreed. I think a lot of the traffic that should take 495 already does.

I do see this though: Coming from PA, there appears to be more confusion about which way to go, which may be the result of there only being 3 lanes available, along with the diagrammic highway signs.  Going North from Delaware, there's 5 lanes available, and arrows pointing down to each lane.

But as I pointed out upthread - this applies to any city with alternate bypasses around the city: Some people will take the main route no matter what, so Wilmington isn't unique in this aspect.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bluecountry

I am STILL confused on what is going on SB 295/95 junction.
Can someone explain:

-What it was before
-What it will be
-What it is now?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on October 22, 2020, 04:48:14 PM
Can someone explain:

-What it was before
-What it will be
-What it is now?

It appears that the 295 lanes will remain separated from the I-95 lanes until after the DE 141 overpass, and then merge in.

bluecountry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2020, 05:12:50 PM
Can someone explain:

-What it was before
-What it will be
-What it is now?

It appears that the 295 lanes will remain separated from the I-95 lanes until after the DE 141 overpass, and then merge in.

OK but how many lanes was 295 before/now/once done?

Alex4897

Quote from: bluecountry on October 23, 2020, 10:41:12 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2020, 05:12:50 PM
Can someone explain:

-What it was before
-What it will be
-What it is now?

OK but how many lanes was 295 before/now/once done?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7051915,-75.6015978,222m/data=!3m1!1e3

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 22, 2020, 03:41:25 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 22, 2020, 09:53:43 AM
Gotcha, so this is just from the 295/95 merge to SR1, an extra aux lane?

I guess though 295 when it merges with 95 will still be only 2 lanes at the entrance?

It will, yes. After I-295 merges in, its left lane will end and its right lane will continue on as the left-most lane of I-95.

The right shoulder lane will come in from the SR 141 C/D road.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 23, 2020, 01:00:02 PM

Nice!  Thanks for this link.

Although it appears on Page 33, the incorrect Lane Ending sign is used.  The left lane from 495 South ends after it meets 95 South.  The sign appears to indicate the right lane ends.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2020, 05:21:43 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on October 23, 2020, 01:00:02 PM

Nice!  Thanks for this link.

Although it appears on Page 33, the incorrect Lane Ending sign is used.  The left lane from 495 South ends after it meets 95 South.  The sign appears to indicate the right lane ends.

Looks like they got the MUTCD code for the sign correct though, if you cross check SS-16 in the later table it comes up as a W4-2L. Looks like someone at one of the firms designing the project got mixed up and inserted the mirrored cell from Microstation, whoops
👉😎👉

bluecountry

Ok so pre-construcytion:

295 SB was 2 lanes approaching 95 which was 4 lanes

and post-construction....

jemacedo9

Quote from: bluecountry on October 27, 2020, 11:07:27 AM
Ok so pre-construcytion:

BEFORE:
295 SB was 2 lanes, merges into one to become the far left lane of a 5 lane roadway
95 SB was 4 lanes, becomes the right 4 lanes of a 5 lane roadway
141 CD was 1 lane, merges completely into the far right lane

AFTER
295 SB was 2 lanes, merges into one to become the far left lane
95 SB was 4 lanes, will becomes the right 4 lanes of the 5 lane roadway
141 CD was 1 lane, will become shoulder lane when active, otherwise will merge into far right lane

Shoulder lane will drop at the DE 58 exit
Far right lane drops (and will still drop) at the DE 1 South exit

bluecountry

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 27, 2020, 11:28:59 AM
Ok so pre-construcytion:

BEFORE:
295 SB was 2 lanes, merges into one to become the far left lane of a 5 lane roadway

AFTER
141 CD was 1 lane, will become shoulder lane when active, otherwise will merge into far right lane

Thanks, so basically all this does is add a peak shoulder land for 141 CD on SB 95 at the 295 junction?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on October 29, 2020, 04:22:48 PM
Ok so pre-construcytion:

BEFORE:

AFTER

Thanks, so basically all this does is add a peak shoulder land for 141 CD on SB 95 at the 295 junction?

Basically...depending what you meant there.  The shoulder lane is on 95 South from 141 to 58.

It does seem like a lot for little return, but it also involves the DE 141 bridges being reconstructed.  This will modernize the overpasses, and allow for a 3rd lane to be built on 295 merging into 95 in the future if it's necessary to do so.  The bridge needed to be reconstructed anyway, so they're just preparing for the future as well.

I'm not terribly convinced the shoulder lane will help much.  From 141 thru the Marsh, it'll be ok.  At Route 58 though, my worry is that too many people will try to cut out from that shoulder lane to continue on 95 to DE 1, and that'll form a weaving/conflict point.  Considering how many people try cutting in to the exit lanes for DE 1 already, this may further compound that issue.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2020, 04:52:02 PMThis will modernize the overpasses, and allow for a 3rd lane to be built on 295 merging into 95 in the future if it's necessary to do so.
Um... it already is?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on October 29, 2020, 10:30:56 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2020, 04:52:02 PMThis will modernize the overpasses, and allow for a 3rd lane to be built on 295 merging into 95 in the future if it's necessary to do so.
Um... it already is?

I would think so too...but quite often 95 itself seems to be jammed at the same time.  And if there's 4 lanes of 95 and 3 lanes of 295 merging in, there needs to be a 2 lane reduction unless they add a travel lane by permanently eliminating one of the shoulders down to at least DE 1.

bluecountry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2020, 04:52:02 PM
Ok so pre-construcytion:

BEFORE:

AFTER

Basically...depending what you meant there.  The shoulder lane is on 95 South from 141 to 58.

It does seem like a lot for little return, but it also involves the DE 141 bridges being reconstructed.  This will modernize the overpasses, and allow for a 3rd lane to be built on 295 merging into 95 in the future if it's necessary to do so.  The bridge needed to be reconstructed anyway, so they're just preparing for the future as well.

I'm not terribly convinced the shoulder lane will help much.  From 141 thru the Marsh, it'll be ok.  At Route 58 though, my worry is that too many people will try to cut out from that shoulder lane to continue on 95 to DE 1, and that'll form a weaving/conflict point.  Considering how many people try cutting in to the exit lanes for DE 1 already, this may further compound that issue.
Oh ok, so 295 SB at 95 will have the capacity to add a 3rd lane at the merge in the future?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on October 30, 2020, 10:38:27 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 29, 2020, 04:52:02 PM
Ok so pre-construcytion:

BEFORE:

AFTER

Oh ok, so 295 SB at 95 will have the capacity to add a 3rd lane at the merge in the future?

Certainly seems that way.

74/171FAN

DelDOT: DelDOT Announces Opening of New Route 1 Southbound Auxiliary Lane

QuoteThe Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) announces that the new Route 1 southbound auxiliary lane between Route 273 and Route 40 is now open to traffic.

Alex4897

The SR 1 widening project between I-95 and the C&D Canal is back, DelDOT held a virtual workshop yesterday for the first half of the project between the Christiana Mall and US 13. The workshop focused mainly on the interchange at SR 273, which was a serious point of contention earlier in the decade when this project was being hashed out last time.

The previous plans called for cutting the south leg of SR 7 off coming out of the town of Christiana in order to make way for a parclo interchange connecting to the SR 273 / SR 7 intersection. This would effectively isolate the south side of Christiana from SR 273 and create serious problems in the event of flooding on the Christina River. These plans are gone, instead all new alternatives call for restricting access from southbound SR 1 to southbound SR 7 by channelizing the left turn movements on westbound SR 273. Traffic destined for SR 7 between SR 273 and US 40 would use a new set of ramps that tie into Newtown Road further south.

Link to Workshop

I'm personally hoping the SPUI alternative gets selected, eliminating one of the lights on SR 273 while shifting the brunt of the problematic traffic away from the interchange entirely seems like it'd make the most difference for the most people. I'm a bit surprised and annoyed to see that nothing's being done yet about the US 13 merge going southbound, the fact that US 13 is still prioritized and SR 1 loses a lane going into the merge despite carrying far more traffic is the source of significant friction on the corridor.
👉😎👉

bluecountry

And back in 2017 they did work at 295 by the DE Mem Bridge, what exactly was that again?

jeffandnicole

If it were my choices, I'd go with Alt 2 or 3. Alt 1 really doesn't change much. Alt 4...I never cared for interchanges that involve a separate roadway to enter or exit from.

I was also trying to figure out how the Park and Ride is affected. It looks like it can't be accessed in Alt 4 at all, but it appears crossed out in the other 3 Alts also.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2020, 09:07:15 PM
If it were my choices, I'd go with Alt 2 or 3. Alt 1 really doesn't change much. Alt 4...I never cared for interchanges that involve a separate roadway to enter or exit from.

I was also trying to figure out how the Park and Ride is affected. It looks like it can't be accessed in Alt 4 at all, but it appears crossed out in the other 3 Alts also.
Alt 3 looks like the best option especially with the newtown ramp.

The park & ride will be gone. They are building a transit center at the Christiana mall that is currently in the development page according to the DELDOT projects site

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 20, 2020, 09:11:31 PM

The park & ride will be gone. They are building a transit center at the Christiana mall that is currently in the development page according to the DELDOT projects site

iPhone

https://deldot.gov/projects/index.shtml?dc=details&projectNumber=T201353111

I see *near* the mall, so not sure if that refers to the parking lot around the mall, or somewhere else close by.

Either way, it seems like a waste to get rid of this one by 1 & 273.  Many times, the purpose of these park and rides are that people don't need to travel far, or need to travel on busy roads or the highways.  By consolidating them into one place in a busy area, they're eliminating some of the purposes of them.  Even by leaving the lot open without bus service, it would still serve as a carpooling meeting location.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 21, 2020, 09:20:31 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 20, 2020, 09:11:31 PM

iPhone

https://deldot.gov/projects/index.shtml?dc=details&projectNumber=T201353111

I see *near* the mall, so not sure if that refers to the parking lot around the mall, or somewhere else close by.

Either way, it seems like a waste to get rid of this one by 1 & 273.  Many times, the purpose of these park and rides are that people don't need to travel far, or need to travel on busy roads or the highways.  By consolidating them into one place in a busy area, they're eliminating some of the purposes of them.  Even by leaving the lot open without bus service, it would still serve as a carpooling meeting location.
Well when they build the connector road from 58 thru the capano development to the fashion center it will alleviate some traffic. I think the park & ride/transit center is perfect for the mall or 273-13. It needs to be in an area that people can walk to & also connect people to. The current location of the park & ride is only good for cars which I see mostly parked there. I have never seen anyone walk 273 even with the sidewalks they plan to add.

The mall or the corner if 273/13 behind the burgerking are perfect areas for the park&ride in my opinion.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jcn

On a completely different note from what's been discussed, here's something interesting I've noticed when it comes to the DE state route system.  Usually, the odd numbered routes are north-south, and the even numbered routes are east-west similarly to the Interstate and US Highway systems with the exception of routes that are continuations of PA and MD state routes like route 52 and route 273 for instance.  One exception I notice is route 72 which is a north-south route despite the fact it's an even number, and it doesn't continue as a PA or MD state route.  Does anyone know why that's the case there?  What confuses me even more is that DE doesn't have a route 73, so why couldn't they have made this route 73 given that it's a north-south route?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.