Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteYeah... PA doesn't seem to be a state to jump on the latest "bandwagon"s (so to speak)

Ahem...Clearview ring a bell?

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2010, 02:58:41 PM

didn't PA sponsor the research that led to its invention?  If so, does building and driving a bandwagon count as jumping on one?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

^ I believe much of the initial Clearview research was based in PA, yes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

It was a joint venture between some PA group and the Texas Transportation Institute. Which explains TX's infatuation with the stuff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2010, 05:56:21 PM
It was a joint venture between some PA group and the Texas Transportation Institute. Which explains TX's infatuation with the stuff.

other than apparently being an early adopter of Clearview, Texas has been a religious bandwagon-jumper since 1969, when they stopped using Texas/US cutouts and the arrow-in-shield style intersection gantries.  Texas used to have such innovative and good-looking signage, but now they are formulaic and boring.

jake@aaroads.com

florida

Quote from: xcellntbuy on June 17, 2010, 02:09:37 PM
This flashing yellow arrow was tried at two intersections in Coral Springs, FL and both have been removed.  The experiment was not well received.

Ha. Hope they weren't on the larger arterials (University and Sample).

Definitely have not had any up here (thankfully).
So many roads...so little time.

US71

I saw one (count 'em ONE) in Missouri. Fort Smith, AR has a couple dozen, Little Rock has maybe 2 or 3
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

As previously mentioned, they are popping up in Kentucky. Frankfort does use them and they are also on Man O'War Blvd. in Lexington.

Not sure that I like them, or the fact that money is expended to replace existing doghouses with these.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

^ I wouldn't necessarily be in favor of spending money on FYAs just for the sake of doing it, when a 5-section head can still be used as long as the signal isn't modified considerably.

All of the three installations in Carson City, NV appear to have come after nearby road widening work, which resulted in all signal poles being replaced anyway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PAHighways

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2010, 02:58:41 PM
QuoteYeah... PA doesn't seem to be a state to jump on the latest "bandwagon"s (so to speak)

Clearview was jointly developed by the Pennsylvania Transportation Institute and the Texas Transportation Institute.  Although while being part of its creation, and an initial roll out of Clearview signage, its usage stagnated in the mid-2000s but began to rebound recently.

Revive 755

Article today noting more flashing yellow arrows coming to Missouri (in O' Fallon), and the first red arrows installed by MoDOT:
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=204943&catid=3#comments

froggie

QuoteIn VA US 60 has a few in the area around Busch Gardens

Here's the VDOT news release on the new flashing yellow arrows near Busch Gardens.

Interestingly, the image they show in the release has a red arrow.  I'm curious as to the actual installations VDOT did have red arrows, or if they have the standard VDOT red ball.  AFAIK, there is only one VDOT-installed red left arrow in the state...at VA 208/SR 639 in Stafford County (Fredericksburg suburbia).

D-Dey65

So far, North Carolina was the only state I've seen them in. I saw them as meaning the same thing as a steady yellow left turn signal.

agentsteel53

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 25, 2010, 12:27:33 PM
steady yellow left turn signal.

what does this mean?  If I see one, I assume it will turn into a red left turn signal in a few seconds.

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: froggie on June 25, 2010, 09:16:16 AM
Interestingly, the image they show in the release has a red arrow.  I'm curious as to the actual installations VDOT did have red arrows, or if they have the standard VDOT red ball.  AFAIK, there is only one VDOT-installed red left arrow in the state...at VA 208/SR 639 in Stafford County (Fredericksburg suburbia).

One of the requirements of the FYA signal during its experimentation phase was to use an all-arrow display. This carried over into the standard implementation.

With red arrows having been introduced more than 35 years ago and many drivers being familiar with their meaning, there is no reason to use a circular red in a new left turn signal. In fact, the recent MUTCD revision actually deleted this option (along with the "Left turn signal" sign required when a circular red is used).

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 25, 2010, 12:34:27 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 25, 2010, 12:27:33 PM
steady yellow left turn signal.
what does this mean?  If I see one, I assume it will turn into a red left turn signal in a few seconds.

"Steady" is generally used to describe the display state of a standard signal indication, as opposed to "flashing". In the context of FYA signals, the steady yellow arrow is the clearance interval that follows either the green arrow or flashing yellow arrow when the signal transitions to red.

andytom

Quote from: roadfro on June 18, 2010, 01:35:41 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on June 17, 2010, 06:52:27 PM
Oregon has at least one intersection with them -- NE Sandy Blvd at NE 28th Ave in Portland.

Oregon should have a lot of FYA's. They were one of the first states to do widespread implementation under the FHWA's experimentation process and subsequent interim approval of FYA.

They're all over Beaverton.  After 4 or 5 years of waiting, they finally put one at the intersection where I turn into my apartment community a couple of weeks ago.  It greatly reduces the time I have to sit at that signal to turn left.  They were using a 4 lamp signal for a while but are currently using a 3 lamp signal with the steady green and the flashing yellow arrows in the bottom position.

--Andy

jdb1234

If there are any FYA's in Alabama, I certainly have not seen them.

SignBridge

Haven't seen any on New York's Long Island yet, but I'm watching for the first ones.

kj3400

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any in central Maryland, but I can't vouch for the outlying areas.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

rawmustard

Quote from: roadfro on June 25, 2010, 12:43:45 PM
One of the requirements of the FYA signal during its experimentation phase was to use an all-arrow display. This carried over into the standard implementation.
There was an option that allowed jurisdictions that didn't use red arrows to use circular reds during the interim approval (noted in Sec. 2, Para. b of the conditions).

Quote from: andytom on June 26, 2010, 01:05:07 AM
They're all over Beaverton.  After 4 or 5 years of waiting, they finally put one at the intersection where I turn into my apartment community a couple of weeks ago.  It greatly reduces the time I have to sit at that signal to turn left.  They were using a 4 lamp signal for a while but are currently using a 3 lamp signal with the steady green and the flashing yellow arrows in the bottom position.

There shouldn't be a reason to reduce to a three-section display unless physical conditions require it.

cu2010

Quote from: SignBridge on June 26, 2010, 09:48:03 PM
Haven't seen any on New York's Long Island yet, but I'm watching for the first ones.

I haven't seen them upstate yet, either...but knowing how far behind the times NYSDOT tends to be at times (not to mention the lack of money in NY!), I don't expect to see them anytime soon, either.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

SignBridge

I'm betting New York takes the easy way out by using a doghouse (or side-by-side) over the lane-line between the left-turn lane and the left-thru lane. That is still permitted by the new MUTCD in lieu of a separate left-turn head with flashing yellow arrow. 

roadfro

Quote from: rawmustard on June 26, 2010, 10:27:15 PM
Quote from: roadfro on June 25, 2010, 12:43:45 PM
There was an option that allowed jurisdictions that didn't use red arrows to use circular reds during the interim approval (noted in Sec. 2, Para. b of the conditions).

Hmmm, must've missed that. I was under the impression circular reds weren't allowed with FYAs during interim approval.

vdeane

Quote from: SignBridge on June 27, 2010, 05:20:23 PM
I'm betting New York takes the easy way out by using a doghouse (or side-by-side) over the lane-line between the left-turn lane and the left-thru lane. That is still permitted by the new MUTCD in lieu of a separate left-turn head with flashing yellow arrow. 
IMO the doghouse style is superior to using a dedicated signal.  Why use a separate signal with a flashing yellow when the doghouse style is sufficient?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

Probably because tests have shown the doghouse-style *ISN'T* sufficient, especially with older drivers.  If it was sufficient, the FYA wouldn't have come about to begin with.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.