News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Moving I-20/59 below grade in Birmingham...?

Started by UptownRoadGeek, July 19, 2010, 07:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

Whatever happened to this idea that was being thrown around about a year ago  :confused:

RoadWarrior56

I shudder to think of the maintenance of traffic nightmare for that proposal during construction.

The Premier

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on July 19, 2010, 07:14:25 PM
I shudder to think of the maintenance of traffic nightmare for that proposal during construction.
Like ODOT did with the Ft. Washington Way reconstruction.
Alex P. Dent

froggie

Same idea got bandied about in the late '90s.  As you can see, it didn't get very far...

UptownRoadGeek

I guess they can pull it off in Birmingham if they could pull it off in Houston.

My question is if it had have gone any further, would it really be necessary?

codyg1985

I imagine that section of I-20/59 would be closed and detoured to I-459 during construction in order to speed it up.

I haven't heard any more on this proposal. I doubt this is at the top of the list of priorities for officials in Birmingham, even though it would be nice to see.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

QuoteI imagine that section of I-20/59 would be closed and detoured to I-459 during construction in order to speed it up.

I don't see that being the case, given this is the busiest section of freeway in the entire state.  They're bound to keep at least some of it open.

golden eagle

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 20, 2010, 07:43:58 AM
I imagine that section of I-20/59 would be closed and detoured to I-459 during construction in order to speed it up.

I haven't heard any more on this proposal. I doubt this is at the top of the list of priorities for officials in Birmingham, even though it would be nice to see.

That'd be an even worse traffic nightmare, especially if drivers are having to get off on U.S. 31. Why bother doing this project in the first place?

UptownRoadGeek

They could just shift all traffic to one side of the highway and do it one side at a time.

froggie

...which is basically how INDOT redid I-70 in eastern Indianapolis a few years ago, though that project didn't involve any grade changes...was mainly a bridge-and-pavement reconstruction.

Tourian

That's a neat idea, I remember seeing that picture a while back and thinking about how tidy and nice it looked. Then I started thinking about the money, coordination, cooperation and just flat out leadership and discipline required to pull off such a project. And I just came to the conclusion that Birmingham's leaders don't have it in them.

jdb1234

wriddle082

Quote from: The Premier on July 19, 2010, 07:22:26 PM
Like ODOT did with the Ft. Washington Way reconstruction.

At least Ft. Washington Way was already below grade, so they only had to close exits and rebuild existing bridges one at a time.

I agree, 20/59 would have to be shut down in order to pull this one off.  It would be really nice if 459 were a full beltway, or if 22 were not only finished but at least reached 59 NE of the city.  More alternate routes and it would be more painless, or at least a close alternate route, like 640 around Knoxville when they did SmartFix40.

Can we assume that flash flooding doesn't regularly occur in Downtown Birmingham?  I don't seem to recall a river nearby, but is there a creek?

froggie

QuoteI agree, 20/59 would have to be shut down in order to pull this one off.

I don't think so.  It could be done half at a time.  It'd be an engineering and traffic nightmare, but it's obviously feasible or ALDOT wouldn't have agreed to pursue it further.

Tourian

Quote from: froggie on September 12, 2010, 04:42:31 PMI don't think so.  It could be done half at a time.  It'd be an engineering and traffic nightmare, but it's obviously feasible or ALDOT wouldn't have agreed to pursue it further.

Funny you say that, because from what I have read ALDOT did not think it was feasible but some other firm did a study to show them and now they think its possible.

codyg1985

Quote from: Tourian on September 14, 2010, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: froggie on September 12, 2010, 04:42:31 PMI don't think so.  It could be done half at a time.  It'd be an engineering and traffic nightmare, but it's obviously feasible or ALDOT wouldn't have agreed to pursue it further.

Funny you say that, because from what I have read ALDOT did not think it was feasible but some other firm did a study to show them and now they think its possible.

I don't see how the traffic would be shifted while one side is demolished to construct the trench unless you squeezed four narrow lanes onto one of the bridges. The lanes may need to be 9' or 10' lanes.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alps

All through traffic moves onto I-459.  That takes care of maybe 10% of what you have downtown.  I can't say how close to 0 or 20 or more it might be.  If you have half the freeway open, you could do a 2-1 zipper arrangement or make it a semi-permanent 1/1.  This would all be helped greatly by routing I-22 to the 20/59 split...

Grzrd

Quote from: AlpsROADS on September 14, 2010, 09:26:33 PM
This would all be helped greatly by routing I-22 to the 20/59 split...
I remember ALDOT studying this possiblity years ago.  Is it in limbo due to lack of funds, or was there an official determination that it would not be a feasible project?

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 14, 2010, 04:52:40 PM
I don't see how the traffic would be shifted while one side is demolished to construct the trench unless you squeezed four narrow lanes onto one of the bridges. The lanes may need to be 9' or 10' lanes.

Move all traffic to one side. Demolish the empty side and dig trench in its place. Move all traffic into the trench and demolish the remaining elevated structure.

The remaining elevated side should be able to hold 4 narrow lanes (or 3 depending on traffic demand) and it may be possible to squeeze 6 into the trench. Through traffic can be moved to I-459.

froggie

Cody has a point...there's one small section east of 17th where the lanes would have to be considerably narrowed.  And traffic volumes are too high to go with only 3 lanes.  Some temporary bridge widening may be possible to alleviate the narrow lanes, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.