Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Henderson, KY and Evansville is currently the control city for I-69 South in Indiana.

ilpt4u

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2020, 11:07:09 AM
Henderson, KY and Evansville is currently the control city for I-69 South in Indiana.
Does Henderson appear anywhere other than at the I-64 cloverleaf? I know it isn't signed at the Lloyd interchange. Not sure about other Evansville interchanges

Life in Paradise

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 20, 2020, 12:08:55 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2020, 11:07:09 AM
Does Henderson appear anywhere other than at the I-64 cloverleaf? I know it isn't signed at the Lloyd interchange. Not sure about other Evansville interchanges
I believe that Henderson is only at I-64.  A holdover from I-164 days.

Captain Jack

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2020, 12:23:19 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 19, 2020, 11:58:04 PM
Only sort of related, but I noticed that I-69 north does not have a control city from I-64. Why is that?
I believe they wanted to wait to finish the highway to Indianapolis in order to sign "Indianapolis" , though realistically it should be allowed to be posted now.

Trying to figure INDOT out is tough.

There is no reason Bloomington and Indianapolis can't both be used now. INDOT has Indianapolis as a control on US 41 around Vincennes, and US 41 doesn't get any closer to Indy than Terre Haute.  I-69 is at least funneling traffic directly at it just 20 miles away.

Of course, Kentucky is using Elizabethtown for I-69 North at the I-24 split.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Captain Jack on May 21, 2020, 12:31:12 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 20, 2020, 12:23:19 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 19, 2020, 11:58:04 PM
Only sort of related, but I noticed that I-69 north does not have a control city from I-64. Why is that?
I believe they wanted to wait to finish the highway to Indianapolis in order to sign "Indianapolis" , though realistically it should be allowed to be posted now.

Trying to figure INDOT out is tough.

There is no reason Bloomington and Indianapolis can't both be used now. INDOT has Indianapolis as a control on US 41 around Vincennes, and US 41 doesn't get any closer to Indy than Terre Haute.  I-69 is at least funneling traffic directly at it just 20 miles away.

Of course, Kentucky is using Elizabethtown for I-69 North at the I-24 split.
I-69 doesn't go to Elizabethtown? Hasn't changed from the Western Kentucky parkway days?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

The Elizabethtown reference is merely from when it used to be the Western Kentucky Pkwy, just hasn't changed.

amroad17

I was speculating what the control city would be from where I-69 would split off to use the Ohio River Bridge.  Of course, Henderson should be used from I-64 to the US 41 interchange.  If I-69 was mostly complete from Evansville to Memphis, I would favor Memphis.  However, whenever the bridge is complete and that Tennessee is somewhat dragging their feet on I-69, the choices are Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Paducah, or Fulton.  I actually would favor Paducah for the short term.

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Life in Paradise

Quote from: amroad17 on May 21, 2020, 06:50:12 AM

I was speculating what the control city would be from where I-69 would split off to use the Ohio River Bridge.  Of course, Henderson should be used from I-64 to the US 41 interchange.  If I-69 was mostly complete from Evansville to Memphis, I would favor Memphis.  However, whenever the bridge is complete and that Tennessee is somewhat dragging their feet on I-69, the choices are Madisonville, Hopkinsville, Paducah, or Fulton.  I actually would favor Paducah for the short term.

Of course when I cross the Ohio River going south, my main destination must be Fulton (KY/TN).  I know it's popular though out middle America...who would think that Memphis is a destination???  (I know, it was put there because it was the end of the Purchase Parkway)

sprjus4

Obviously the town of 2,000 is more important than the metro of 1,000,000.

Seriously though, Memphis should be signed on I-69 South even today.

Indianapolis northbound, Memphis southbound.

Bloomington, Henderson, and Evansville can be used secondarily, but those should be the primary control cities all in between, even with I-69 not complete in Tennessee.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 21, 2020, 01:01:14 PM

Bloomington, Henderson, and Evansville can be used secondarily, but those should be the primary control cities all in between, even with I-69 not complete in Tennessee.
Agreed. I hate obscure control cities.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ilpt4u

I fully agree

InDOT doesn't tend to use Secondary Controls nearly as much as neighboring IDOT does, unfortunately

The big issue with signing Memphis out of Indy right now, until the Freeway is complete Indy<->Memphis is that at present, I-70->I-57->I-55 is a quicker route to Memphis

From Bloomington on south, certainly Control it Memphis, now

tdindy88

Honestly I think Evansville is sufficient from Indianapolis down to roughly the Morgan Avenue and Lloyd Expressway exits. It's a large enough city. Fort Wayne is used for northbound I-69 from Indianapolis so using Evansville almost seems poetic since those two along with Indy are the three largest cities in the state. When I-69 is finished in Kentucky and Tennessee though I fully support usage of Memphis alongside with Evansville from I-64 southward and Memphis south of the Evansville exits. And Kentucky should (but probably will not) use Evansville for northbound across part of the state. The usage of Henderson reeks of the using of Ashland over Huntington along I-64, I fear Henderson will be used for a very long time.

WKDAVE

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 21, 2020, 02:11:08 PM

I fully agree

InDOT doesn't tend to use Secondary Controls nearly as much as neighboring IDOT does, unfortunately

The big issue with signing Memphis out of Indy right now, until the Freeway is complete Indy<->Memphis is that at present, I-70->I-57->I-55 is a quicker route to Memphis

Even with I-69 complete it will be faster to go I-70, I-57, and I-55!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 21, 2020, 03:09:11 PM
Honestly I think Evansville is sufficient from Indianapolis down to roughly the Morgan Avenue and Lloyd Expressway exits. It's a large enough city. Fort Wayne is used for northbound I-69 from Indianapolis so using Evansville almost seems poetic since those two along with Indy are the three largest cities in the state. When I-69 is finished in Kentucky and Tennessee though I fully support usage of Memphis alongside with Evansville from I-64 southward and Memphis south of the Evansville exits. And Kentucky should (but probably will not) use Evansville for northbound across part of the state. The usage of Henderson reeks of the using of Ashland over Huntington along I-64, I fear Henderson will be used for a very long time.
What should Tennessee use for I-69 north?

sprjus4

Quote from: WKDAVE on May 21, 2020, 03:38:26 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on May 21, 2020, 02:11:08 PM

I fully agree

Even with I-69 complete it will be faster to go I-70, I-57, and I-55!
Not necessarily...

Between Indianapolis and Memphis, the current I-70, I-57, and I-55 routing is 464 miles and takes approximately 6 hours 51 minutes to traverse.

The current I-69 routing is 453 miles and takes approximately 7 hours 22 minutes to traverse in present day.

Considering a 70 mph speed limit for the sections currently not freeway, that would reduce overall travel time about 32 minutes, bringing the I-69 corridor to 6 hours 50 minutes.

Additionally, the I-69 corridor has considerably less traffic than the I-70, I-57, and I-55 corridors do, notably with truck traffic, and would likely be desired for this reason alone. I wouldn't be surprised if some people opt to use the present-day I-69 corridor from Indianapolis to Memphis to avoid those interstates during some of the worst peak travel periods. At Dyersburg, you can also go back to I-55 to avoid the arterial segment south of there via I-155.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 03:46:25 PM
Evansville or Indianapolis.

ilpt4u

Port Huron, MI
Canada

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 21, 2020, 07:06:38 PM
Port Huron, MI
Canada
That's a bit far.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 07:09:36 PM
Port Huron, MI
Canada
That's a bit far.

My vote: Dyersburg/Indianapolis.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: abqtraveler on May 22, 2020, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 07:09:36 PM
Port Huron, MI
Canada
That's a bit far.

My vote: Dyersburg/Indianapolis.
I agree, one close by city and one far off city.

silverback1065

The INDOT Design Manual requires the control cities to be what they have on the signs.

ITB

Memorial Day was nice and sunny so I headed up to Morgan County for another look-see. Crews have been making good progress on the overpasses north of Martinsville. Photos were taken May 25, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Morgan/Johnson/Marion counties

Overpass that will carry Egbert Road over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Morgan County, Indiana; looking northeast.

Work has commenced on the bridge that will carry the new frontage, or service, road over Stotts Creek in Morgan County. Stotts Creek runs underneath SR 37 about a mile north of the SR 37/Henderson Road intersection. The creek flows into the White River, which, at this point, runs only a few yards north (left, treeline) of the southbound lanes of SR 37.

Closer look at the work underway at Stotts Creek. Crews have been driving piles to create a cofferdam (pictured in the foreground) to facilitate work on the bridge's northern pier. Due to rains the day before, the chamber has filled with water which will be pumped out when work resumes.

The overpass that will carry Perry Road over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Morgan County; looking north. Piles have now been driven for both abutments.

Another perspective of the work underway at the Perry Road overpass work zone; looking north.

Another look at the Stotts Creek work zone showing a small section of the northbound mainline SR 37 bridge over the creek. These Stotts Creek mainline bridges are to be completely reconstructed as part of the next contract of Section 6, to be let in November of 2020.

More pictures to follow.

ITB

A few more pictures of the Section 6 work underway in Morgan County, Indiana. Photos were taken May 25, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Morgan/Johnson/Marion counties

Long distant shot looking south toward the northern abutment pilings and median pier formwork of the future overpass at Henderson Ford Road in Morgan County. A diamond interchange is planned at this location. Construction of the interchange ramps is part of another Section 6 contract, which is to be let in November of 2020.

Using the telephoto lens, a closer look at the median pier formwork and northern abutment pilings at Henderson Ford Rd.; looking south.

Looking slightly southwest toward the center pier of the future Egbert Road overpass. Formwork is in place in preparations for the concrete pours. East of the overpass dozens of small ground flags have been placed to facilitate the stabilizing and building up the ground to support the eastern approach to the overpass.

Looking east from near the future Egbert Road overpass toward the area where the new, short stretch of Egbert Road is planned. Here, in addition to yellow tags, there are white, aqua, dark blue, and red. Why these flags have been placed in such numbers, and the difference, for instance, between an aqua and a dark blue, I have little idea. If anyone can provide enlightening details, please do.

Different perspective of the median pier and northern abutment pilings at Henderson Ford Road; looking southeast.

Another look at the median pier formwork and western abutment pilings at Egbert Road; looking northeast.

Work continues to widen Morton Ave/SR 39 in Martinsville in preparation of the temporary closure of SR 37 next year. I'll try to get some pictures. Also, under construction is a crossover on SR 37 just south of the SR 37/SR 39 interchange. This will allow all traffic to be shifted to the northbound lanes of SR 37 to facilitate the construction of a new SR 37/SR 39 interchange, as well as the reconstruction of the mainline bridges over Indian Creek.

Here's a link to the May 2020 INDOT I-69 Finish Line newsletter: https://i69finishline.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/I-69-Progress-and-Traffic-Changes-May-2020.pdf

civeng

Quote from: ITB on May 28, 2020, 12:48:01 AM

Why these flags have been placed in such numbers, and the difference, for instance, between an aqua and a dark blue, I have little idea. If anyone can provide enlightening details, please do.

Probably where wick drains will be placed to speed up soil settlement.

rte66man

Quote from: civeng on May 28, 2020, 10:39:28 AM
Quote from: ITB on May 28, 2020, 12:48:01 AM

Why these flags have been placed in such numbers, and the difference, for instance, between an aqua and a dark blue, I have little idea. If anyone can provide enlightening details, please do.

Probably where wick drains will be placed to speed up soil settlement.

What's a 'wick drain'?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.