News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-73 I-74 / US 121 interchange location?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, October 24, 2017, 03:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

I saw on Wikipedia on the US 121 article that a stack interchange between the two highways has been built, but alas, I cannot find it. Does anyone know the location of it, and the cords?

QuoteFrom Wikipedia: Construction started in 1999 with a three-level diamond interchange near Welch in western West Virginia. This will facilate traffic going between the King Coal Highway/Interstate 73/Interstate 74 and the Coalfields Expressway (US 121). Grading work was completed in 2003, but the interchange remains incomplete as of 2010.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Mapmikey

37.472692, -81.560260

It is directly behind the Federal Correction Institution at McDowell, north of Welch.  There is a long straightish ROW cleared.

Described here (under the year 2000):  http://transportation.wv.gov/highways/Highways-Projects/CoalfieldsExpressway/Pages/Chronology-of-the-Corridor.aspx

NE2

That's typical Wikipoo. I looked it up a while ago and this is not where the two highways will cross.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2017, 04:08:41 PM
That's typical Wikipoo. I looked it up a while ago and this is not where the two highways will cross.

Also, that will never be I-73 or I-74. If it's ever completed, it will be as US 52.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2017, 10:50:14 AM
Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2017, 04:08:41 PM

Also, that will never be I-73 or I-74. If it's ever completed, it will be as US 52.

It's the "I-73/74 North-South Corridor". So it may not be correct to call it "I-73 I-74", but "I-73/74" is valid.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

It's also not correct to call it a "stack interchange" as the OP claimed, as the ramp movements will not be free-flow.

The actual interchange location, based on maps I found a decade or so ago, will be north of that Federal Prison...roughly due west of what the Goog labels "Indian Ridge" and a little east of "Edmore Rd".

hbelkins

Wasn't this supposed to be what Kurumi dubbed a "volleyball" interchange?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2017, 02:46:11 PM
Wasn't this supposed to be what Kurumi dubbed a "volleyball" interchange?

Yes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.