News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most dangerous beaches

Started by Flint1979, February 03, 2024, 12:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

After looking at Google Maps in the Keweenaw Peninsula I came across a beach that I had traveled to when I clinched Houghton County. So it made me think of the most dangerous beaches out there because this is indeed one of them. The area I'm talking about is locally known as The Breakers (to anyone else it'd be called North Canal Township Park). I figured this beach was dangerous due to the fact that the water gets deep very quickly here this was all information from a guy I ran into there that told me he lives 2 miles away and that it's the most dangerous beach he's ever seen in his life, I agreed with him and just hung out there for a little while before leaving. Now that I came across this let's see where the most dangerous beach indeed is.

oscar

At least you don't have great white sharks hanging out around the Keweenaw Peninsula, as with some northern California beaches. Some Hawaii beaches also have a history of fatal shark attacks.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Flint1979

Quote from: oscar on February 03, 2024, 12:19:45 PM
At least you don't have great white sharks hanging out around the Keweenaw Peninsula, as with some northern California beaches. Some Hawaii beaches also have a history of fatal shark attacks.
We don't have any of that on the Great Lakes. The water getting deep very quickly makes it dangerous, it's also one of the ugliest beaches I have ever seen.

Another Michigan beach, this one on Lake Michigan is one dangerous place too that being the Grand Haven State Park beach.

MATraveler128

One that comes to mind for Massachusetts is pretty much any beach on Plum Island in Newburyport. There have been numerous deaths due to rip currents.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Max Rockatansky

Pretty much anything in Big Sur due to terrain, rip tide and generally cold water.

Rothman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 03, 2024, 12:41:55 PM
One that comes to mind for Massachusetts is pretty much any beach on Plum Island in Newburyport. There have been numerous deaths due to rip currents.
Pfft.  I've been swimming there.

I'm wondering how you measure danger.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Queen's Bath in Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii is notably dangerous. Local stories say over 30 people have drowned in the last decade.

I chickened out, realizing I have very limited experience with walking on wet jagged rocks. My wife is less adventurous than myself, but even she wasn't 100% against the idea.

mgk920

Quote from: formulanone on February 03, 2024, 01:22:58 PM
Queen's Bath in Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii is notably dangerous. Local stories say over 30 people have drowned in the last decade.

I chickened out, realizing I have very limited experience with walking on wet jagged rocks. My wife is less adventurous than myself, but even she wasn't 100% against the idea.

The possible presence of jellyfish and crocodiles would give me pause in visiting many beaches in Australia.

Mike

Hobart

McKinley Beach in Milwaukee was so dangerous after a 1989 erosion control project that the entire beach has been closed since 2020. Four people drowned there in 2020 alone, so now there's a huge fence around it until the county can fix the rip current issues.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on February 03, 2024, 02:09:14 PM

The possible presence of jellyfish and crocodiles would give me pause in visiting many beaches in Australia.

Mike
Psst.  Jellyfish are practically everywhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on February 08, 2024, 11:49:08 AM

Mike

Are they the Box and Irukandji jellies that are found in Australia?

Mike

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2024, 01:08:54 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 03, 2024, 12:41:55 PM
Pfft.  I've been swimming there.

I'm wondering how you measure danger.

Probably by the amount of deaths that occur there, like most people.

Seabrook NH just to the north has its share of rip-current deaths.

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on February 08, 2024, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 08, 2024, 11:49:08 AM

Mike

Are they the Box and Irukandji jellies that are found in Australia?

Mike
They're nettles and portuguese man-o-wars off Atlantic Ocean shores, which are plenty painful and sometimes fatal.

Plenty of stinging jellyfish on the Pacific Ocean side, too...

JayhawkCO

I'll nominate Chowpatty Beach in Mumbai, the most polluted beach in the world.

TheHighwayMan3561

Park Point Beach in Duluth usually sees Lake Superior claim a life or two every few years. The cold water and rip currents (which are not well comprehended by Midwesterners) as well as general humans being idiots contribute.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KCRoadFan

When I saw this post, I thought of that beach in the Caribbean - on St. Maarten, I believe - where planes fly very low overhead, due to the local airport being nearby.

Jim

Reynisfjara near Vik, Iceland, has a lot of warning signs about the dangers of "sneaker waves" there.  We visited on August 20, 2021, and did not get swept away while we were looking at the puffins.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

GaryV

Quote from: Jim on February 12, 2024, 08:02:50 PM
Reynisfjara near Vik, Iceland, has a lot of warning signs about the dangers of "sneaker waves" there. 

Well if the waves wore dress shoes, you'd hear them coming so they wouldn't be as dangerous.   :-/

plain

I remember seeing online about these guys in Japan (they were American) visiting a beach that was home to a number of Sea Hawks. There were signs there that basically prohibited eating at the beach, and for good reason because a hawk tried to snatch a sandwich out of one of the guy's hands and wound up scratching him pretty good.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Rothman

Quote from: plain on February 14, 2024, 12:44:14 AM
I remember seeing online about these guys in Japan (they were American) visiting a beach that was home to a number of Sea Hawks. There were signs there that basically prohibited eating at the beach, and for good reason because a hawk tried to snatch a sandwich out of one of the guy's hands and wound up scratching him pretty good.
So dangerous.

My father was at a beach in Argentina with a friend that got bit by a penguin.  Stay away.  Next time that penguin'll take someone out.

roadman65

New Smyrna Beach, Florida with all its shark attacks. Locally the city is known as the Shark Bite Capital.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2024, 07:12:21 AM
New Smyrna Beach, Florida with all its shark attacks. Locally the city is known as the Shark Bite Capital.
32 shark attacks since 2010 there.  Chances still seem slim.

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on February 14, 2024, 09:03:18 AM

Worse than the Lake Michigan beaches that were listed upthread.   :-/

Rothman

Quote from: GaryV on February 14, 2024, 09:08:35 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 14, 2024, 09:03:18 AM

Worse than the Lake Michigan beaches that were listed upthread.   :-/

Hm.  I'd bet cold water kills more than sharks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.