News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Quote from: SignBridge on January 21, 2024, 07:52:37 PM
Quote from: ixnay on January 21, 2024, 05:43:55 PM
Is the PANYNJ or NYCDOT responsible for the sunken approach road from 30th St. up to the Lincoln Tunnel?

I will make an educated guess that it's the Port Authority's road the same as the helix on the New Jersey side.

After posting, I imagined it is the PA's.

vdeane

It doesn't show up in the RIS Viewer, so it's Port Authority.  It and the MTA don't show up in the maintenance jurisdiction view for some reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

Any sign replacements with the Queensboro Bridge deck replacement? It's mostly button copy on the bridge.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NqfCib4Qv2WHELKG9
A normal mast arm in New York City?

What's up with breaking tradition in front of the Javitz Convention and not using the infamous NYC double guy mast arm.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/h4dymLoZbKkGm8Gw8
Also is the building here at 491 11th Avenue part of the Lincoln Tunnel? Considering it resembles the three tall buildings on 12th Avenue one block away that are the real ventilation buildings for each tunnel tube, I would say yes and no. The design being the same says yes, but only one building here and redundant to the other buildings say no. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on February 06, 2024, 06:55:26 AMthe infamous NYC double guy mast arm.

Why is it infamous?

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

steviep24

NYC loves their guy wired mast arms so much they even use them to mount the tolling equipment for their "infamous" congestion pricing scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKmzIq5DmY0

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on February 06, 2024, 06:55:26 AM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NqfCib4Qv2WHELKG9
A normal mast arm in New York City?

What's up with breaking tradition in front of the Javitz Convention and not using the infamous NYC double guy mast arm.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/h4dymLoZbKkGm8Gw8
Also is the building here at 491 11th Avenue part of the Lincoln Tunnel? Considering it resembles the three tall buildings on 12th Avenue one block away that are the real ventilation buildings for each tunnel tube, I would say yes and no. The design being the same says yes, but only one building here and redundant to the other buildings say no. 

There's a solid chance that the Port Authority erected those and not NYCDOT. There's also these over on 94th St at LGA and the ramps to the Grand Central. Pretty sure the PA had these erected as part of the roadway reconstruction that happened with the airport modernization project. There's also the nice GCP shields and not just the standard BGS's that you usually see near expressway/parkway entrances with just the parkway name and no shield.

Mergingtraffic

How will the congestion pricing work? I don't see any gantries off the FDR Drive. If I get into the Brooklyn bridge from the FDR will I be tolled?

I hear there are license plate readers on the FDR to confirm a car didn't get off and go into the grid. So what if I get off at southbound Exit 5 or 7 and make a U turn to get right back on going north?

Not all traffic patterns are typical. So it'll be like a guessing game for them? "Well the car made it under gantry 1 but not gantry 3 so therefore he must've gotten off?"
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

SignBridge

The congestion pricing plan might never happen, despite the construction of all that overhead apparatus. There is a lot of public pressure against it and lawsuits being filed. The legal process could drag out for years. This whole thing is turning into a boondoggle before it even goes into operation. The City and the MTA may eventually just have to give up on it.

Rothman

Quote from: SignBridge on February 07, 2024, 10:41:59 PM
The congestion pricing plan might never happen, despite the construction of all that overhead apparatus. There is a lot of public pressure against it and lawsuits being filed. The legal process could drag out for years. This whole thing is turning into a boondoggle before it even goes into operation. The City and the MTA may eventually just have to give up on it.
Pfft.  Yeah, no.  It's happening.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on February 07, 2024, 10:53:07 PM
You sure love to reinforce the notion of projects that will make it harder to drive are going forward.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 07, 2024, 11:39:07 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 07, 2024, 10:53:07 PM
You sure love to reinforce the notion of projects that will make it harder to drive are going forward.
Only when there's quite a lot of evidence that this particular project will indeed be implemented.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mariethefoxy

What is going on, on the Long Island Expressway from Exit 27 to 29? There's a lot of construction there, my guess its to do with the on and offramps to and from the Clearview but im not sure.

vdeane

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 07, 2024, 10:17:15 PM
How will the congestion pricing work? I don't see any gantries off the FDR Drive. If I get into the Brooklyn bridge from the FDR will I be tolled?

I hear there are license plate readers on the FDR to confirm a car didn't get off and go into the grid. So what if I get off at southbound Exit 5 or 7 and make a U turn to get right back on going north?

Not all traffic patterns are typical. So it'll be like a guessing game for them? "Well the car made it under gantry 1 but not gantry 3 so therefore he must've gotten off?"
I wouldn't be surprised if they're just guessing, much like the Thruway does for traffic around exit 25A.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

A few days ago, there was a story about the feds rejecting an $800 million grant to redesign the crumbling triple-cantilever segment of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway: https://www.amny.com/transit/feds-reject-grants-crumbling-bqe-cantilever/. Either they're waiting for it to collapse like the West Side Highway in 1973, or the only alternative the surrounding neighborhoods will accept is the freeway's complete demolition.

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 09, 2024, 12:19:38 PM
A few days ago, there was a story about the feds rejecting an $800 million grant to redesign the crumbling triple-cantilever segment of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway: https://www.amny.com/transit/feds-reject-grants-crumbling-bqe-cantilever/. Either they're waiting for it to collapse like the West Side Highway in 1973, or the only alternative the surrounding neighborhoods will accept is the freeway's complete demolition.
Or, the project just wasn't competitive compared to other applicants.

These discretionary grants from the BIL were a ridiculous boondoggle in of themselves.  Main purpose seems to be to line consultants' pockets in application preparation costs.

SignBridge

I'm surprised the Feds rejected that application. The BQE is designated an Interstate highway despite its inferior obsolete design. You'd think they'd consider it reasonable to help fund a plan to rehab that section of it which is in everyone's best interest to do. If that road ever has to be shut down completely it will be very detrimental to regional commerce and I would think the Feds would want to avoid that.

Rothman

Quote from: SignBridge on February 09, 2024, 08:46:31 PM
I'm surprised the Feds rejected that application. The BQE is designated an Interstate highway despite its inferior obsolete design. You'd think they'd consider it reasonable to help fund a plan to rehab that section of it which is in everyone's best interest to do. If that road ever has to be shut down completely it will be very detrimental to regional commerce and I would think the Feds would want to avoid that.
I'm not as surprised.  Feds want the money spent and the City is quite slow at progressing projects and spending the money.  So, deliverability scores would be low and other applicants would get the money.  Also, the $800m ask was probably scoffed at for being way too low given expected costs.  Only partially funding a project can make them last in limbo forever.

SignBridge

Yeah, I see your point about them wanting to disburse the funds for shovel ready projects, so the money will be used promptly and effectively. And yes, NYC will take forever to get the project underway........

storm2k

Wishful thinking. It will happen. It should happen. I said what I said even knowing the forum in which I said it.

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 07, 2024, 10:17:15 PM

The FDR/HRD and the West Side Hwy/HHP are exempted from tolling. You can drive on those without paying the CC. The readers are supposed to account for all of this.

vdeane

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.