News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 12, 2018, 09:17:05 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2018, 07:58:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2018, 01:15:49 AM
Where the hell is everyone!?!

Presumably still in bed being unwilling to get up at sunrise on a Saturday morning to wander downtown.  Given I was five streets over from the Capitol it probably really speaks to the Monday through Friday nature of government work. 
Living in Dover, I can attest to that.  On days when I take off early from work, I'm surprised by how many people actually are in downtown Monday-Friday 8-4:30 (considering the DelDOT complex is on the outskirts of Dover).

Likewise, Montgomery is a sleepy little town on Saturdays and Sundays.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2018, 10:39:53 PM
This is probably my best shot of 2018. The Zion — Mount Carmel Highway in Zion National Park as seen from the Canyon Overlook.

I have taken that exact same picture from that exact same spot in late April 2017.  Same with the last picture of Max's shown above:

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2018, 11:59:38 PM
IMG_1429 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Also-perhaps we should do a "best photos of 2018" thread?  It might be easier to choose a favorite photo from your own collection when you narrow the selection pool down to one particular year.  Choosing my favorite photos from all-time sounds like much more of a daunting decision to make haha.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

cl94

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 12, 2018, 10:06:56 AM
I have taken that exact same picture from that exact same spot in late April 2017.  Same with the last picture of Max's shown above:

I have the tunnel picture, too. These are two of the iconic road shots in the US. I have another very iconic shot that was taken 2 days later (possibly my second-best shot of 2018):

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on December 12, 2018, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on December 12, 2018, 09:17:05 AM

Presumably still in bed being unwilling to get up at sunrise on a Saturday morning to wander downtown.  Given I was five streets over from the Capitol it probably really speaks to the Monday through Friday nature of government work. 
Living in Dover, I can attest to that.  On days when I take off early from work, I'm surprised by how many people actually are in downtown Monday-Friday 8-4:30 (considering the DelDOT complex is on the outskirts of Dover).

Likewise, Montgomery is a sleepy little town on Saturdays and Sundays.

Lansing is also the same way.  In fact when I was in High School I went through Drivers Ed driving around the Capitol complex. 

Regarding a 2018 I just noticed Asphalt started one, I'll contribute probably tonight.   

jakeroot

Ahh, yes that makes sense. Didn't realize it was a weekend.

Your images reminded me to look at my own images from Sacramento when I drove through last September. Lots of Clearview!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 13, 2018, 06:16:56 PM

Ahh, yes that makes sense. Didn't realize it was a weekend.

Your images reminded me to look at my own images from Sacramento when I drove through last September. Lots of Clearview!

I was really looking forward to that weekend.  I had a solid list of everything I wanted in the city in terms of old highways and transportation infrastructure.   I actually killed the battery taking photos which I haven't done in a long time.  Oddly I'd almost kind of compare Sacramento to how Seattle is.  Old Sacramento and Pioneer Square both are on raised street grids, both have similar vintage structures to boot.  I thought the old CA 70/99 button copy BGS on Capitol and 5th was a nice find.  It's taken me all week to do my blog series entry and I still have some stuff left to go before I publish it. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Truth in advertising; the following isn't my best photo. It is a little blurry and off-centered. I did some touch up work on it, in photoshop.
But for those who like toilet humor in the road signs, I might have to find a way to include some 'Pee Pee' in the Portsmouth (Ohio) Roadmeet come this spring...

(look at the township name, not the road name)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Max Rockatansky

US 163 from Mile Marker 13 (Forest Gump Viewpoint) looking towards Monument Valley back in 2015.  This was a pain in the ass to get because I had to be on the center stripe and wait for no cars to be coming.  It probably helped that there was a flag zone a couple miles ahead in the picture for a resurfacing project. 

1995hoo

Looking through some photos on my PC and I found this one from last June. It's the Capital Beltway as seen from the WMATA Yellow Line during the afternoon rush hour, looking to the west. The backed-up traffic is all heading towards the Wilson Bridge over the Potomac; the two lanes to the viewer's far left are an on-ramp from Telegraph Road and the next two lanes (where the truck is) are the "Local"  carriageway. The next carriageway ("Thru" ) was oddly empty–it's usually congested too at that time of day. I don't remember whether some incident caused it to be empty that day. (Edited to add: A Google search reveals that there had been a fatal truck crash, resulting in a fire, in the Outer Loop "Thru"  lanes earlier that day.)

I like the picture because of the combination of the lighting (especially the way the sun's rays shine down from that cloud), the sense of the multiple carriageways, the view from above, and the weird situation of the heavy traffic to the left with the other lanes so empty.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Damn photobucket watermark...ugh. Great shot of a rare sight!

OT: I hope that photo was taken from one of the newer Yellow Line trains. That photo looks so damn humid, and those new 7000-series carriages pump out A/C like it's going out of fashion. I was downright cold riding the Blue Line back in August.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2019, 05:17:10 PM
Damn photobucket watermark...ugh. Great shot of a rare sight!

OT: I hope that photo was taken from one of the newer Yellow Line trains. That photo looks so damn humid, and those new 7000-series carriages pump out A/C like it's going out of fashion. I was downright cold riding the Blue Line back in August.

No idea what series railcar I was riding that day. It was last June 20 and I don't remember from day to day whether I got a new train or not.

Max Rockatansky

Probably would have helped if I actually posted my US 163 photo:

IMG_1785 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

1995hoo

Damn photobucket watermark...ugh. ....

I re-uploaded it [/color][/size] and edited my post. Hopefully the watermark is gone now.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2019, 08:47:59 AM

I re-uploaded it [/color][/size] and edited my post. Hopefully the watermark is gone now.

It is, though it's stuck at 640x480.

For the record, the watermark on your photo wasn't specifically bothering me, as much as the whole concept of Photobucket watermarking the photos does.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2019, 12:20:43 AM
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/33055442312_cf31e53bbb_k.jpg

Before reading your OP above, I was thinking there was a TV or film connection. Very iconic view.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on January 10, 2019, 01:22:07 PM

That's because when I uploaded it and it asked me which size to use, I selected 640x480 because I know the moderators ask that images be kept under 800x600 if possible. The other size Tapatalk offered was larger than that.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2019, 04:30:45 PM

That's because when I uploaded it and it asked me which size to use, I selected 640x480 because I know the moderators ask that images be kept under 800x600 if possible. The other size Tapatalk offered was larger than that.

The forum software resizes widths to 800, but not height. I think you have to link to a ginormous image for it to ignore resizing.

Ian

Grabbed this shot the other day. An old brick alignment of US 92 (or what I believe was US 92) in the Tiger Bay State Forest between DeLand and Daytona Beach, Florida.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Ian on January 10, 2019, 10:55:53 PM
Grabbed this shot the other day. An old brick alignment of US 92 (or what I believe was US 92) in the Tiger Bay State Forest between DeLand and Daytona Beach, Florida.

Glad you reminded me that was there, about to return to Florida this Sunday.  I'm placing a huge emphasis on places I lived since I'm not happy with my photo stock.  This is the former US 17/92 on the Old Tampa Highway near Lake Buena Vista:

IMG_4038 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Interestingly Old Tampa Highway is still an active through route.  It even has a Polk County boundary monolith from 1930:

IMG_4042 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2019, 11:05:15 PM

That is a really interesting typo ("citurs" vs "citrus") on the one face.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 11, 2019, 02:43:26 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2019, 11:05:15 PM

That is a really interesting typo ("citurs" vs "citrus") on the one face.

Yeah imagine going through all that effort to build that thing only for a typo to be what stands the test of time. 

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on January 10, 2019, 08:18:42 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2019, 04:30:45 PM

The forum software resizes widths to 800, but not height. I think you have to link to a ginormous image for it to ignore resizing.

What I was referring to is that the forum guidelines say the following. I know it isn't necessarily always enforced, but since Tapatalk asked which size to use, I figured I might as well use the one that complied with this:

QuotePhotos and images posted in forum threads should not exceed 800 pixels in width or 600 pixels in height. Everyone is not using the same monitor. To reference larger images, just add a link from the 800x600 sized image to the larger file in question.

Max Rockatansky

San Francisquito Canyon Road on the right and Old San Francisquito Canyon Road on the left.  The road on the left heads up the ruins of St. Francis Dam which failed in 1928:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2019, 12:20:43 AM

IMG_1785 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

This is one of my Monument Valley photos:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/UT/US/163/US163_UT_cl_13_south_Mar13_24x16.jpg
Taken all the way back in 2013.  Time flies.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

1995hoo

My photo from that spot is from September 2015. Unfortunately, it's at the wrong angle compared to how Forrest Gump was shown because my wife wouldn't cooperate (she felt it wasn't safe to stand in the road on a highway with a 65-mph speed limit).

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2019, 09:10:56 AM
(she felt it wasn't safe to stand in the road on a highway with a 65-mph speed limit).

He he.  I remember one time, my sister and her friends and I were driving from Denver back to northwestern Kansas in the evening after dark.  My sister was driving, and she was getting tired, worried about falling asleep at the wheel.  So she pulled over on the side of the road, and we all got out and started doing stretches and jumping-jacks in the middle of US-36.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.