Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2017, 01:16:36 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 31, 2017, 10:10:27 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 31, 2017, 09:57:16 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 29, 2017, 10:21:25 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 29, 2017, 09:41:42 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 28, 2017, 11:51:31 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 28, 2017, 11:48:23 PM
What were the employees thinking? Google do this at 2 am?

I don't think this involves employees. Likely a bug.

does google do automated work on maps?

The vast majority of Google Maps is automated, based on code. The images you see were not hand-picked by Google. The code selected the image based on various things, however, the code isn't working right, since many of the images aren't correct. I think any human would know that Stafford, CT doesn't have a tropical beach.

Could it be choosing the photo based on the location from which it was uploaded, rather than where it was taken? Perhaps someone from Stafford, CT took a photo of a beach while on vacation, then uploaded it to Google after returning home.

Very well could be. Or perhaps based on a tagging system, where people have tagged their upload location, rather than the location of the photo. I uploaded a picture of the Shard (tall building in London) on Instagram a few years back, but tagged it "Burger King" because that's where I was when I uploaded it. All of my subsequent tags were of the actual location. But, that Burger King permanently has a photo of the Shard attached to the location.

Then why are they all pictures of famous or beautiful things?

Good question. Perhaps Google has an algorithm to automatically detect photos that are good, versus ones that are shitty, but doesn't have enough data to determine if the good photos are geographically correct?

index

We've got another stupid update. The "improvement" in this one is that freeways, expressways, tolled routes, major arterials, and the like, are all the same color...

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

hotdogPi

Quote from: index on November 17, 2017, 09:01:15 PM
We've got another stupid update. The "improvement" in this one is that freeways, expressways, tolled routes, major arterials, and the like, are all the same color...

It's not happening to me.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on November 17, 2017, 09:04:14 PM

Also not me. Not every glitch is a feature.

index

Quote from: jakeroot on November 17, 2017, 09:32:36 PM

It's not a glitch.

https://www.blog.google/products/maps/google-maps-gets-new-look/

A quick google search will also show some articles relating to a new look for maps.

While improvements have been made, it, in my opinion, was not a smart choice to reduce road color coding to only yellow or white.

Counties traveled

jakeroot

Quote from: index on November 17, 2017, 09:55:54 PM

It's not a glitch.

A quick google search will also show some articles relating to a new look for maps.

While improvements have been made, it, in my opinion, was not a smart choice to reduce road color coding to only yellow or white.

My bad. I see, too often on this thread, users complaining about a bug being some sort of new feature. It's kind of a knee-jerk response at this point.

I do agree, however. The new color scheme is a bit confusing. I'm not sure how many users use Google Maps to quickly find freeways, though. Most people seem to use Google Maps to find POIs, and then to help them get there. You don't need colors for navigation (Waze has a flat color scheme for comparison), you just need it for wayfinding. And this update makes it easier to do that, as long as you aren't trying to scope out the nearest freeway.

index

Quote from: jakeroot on November 17, 2017, 10:08:41 PM

It's not a glitch.

My bad. I see, too often on this thread, users complaining about a bug being some sort of new feature. It's kind of a knee-jerk response at this point.

I do agree, however. The new color scheme is a bit confusing. I'm not sure how many users use Google Maps to quickly find freeways, though. Most people seem to use Google Maps to find POIs, and then to help them get there. You don't need colors for navigation (Waze has a flat color scheme for comparison), you just need it for wayfinding. And this update makes it easier to do that, as long as you aren't trying to scope out the nearest freeway.

I can agree with what you've said, I don't really think it matters to the traveler whether something's a freeway or expressway or arterial, but toll routes are a definite thing to consider when taking a route. Though, to be fair, Google maps does have an option to avoid tolls.  Perhaps these new road color schemes are just something that would bug people who are interested in roads?

Counties traveled

jakeroot

Quote from: index on November 17, 2017, 10:27:37 PM
Perhaps these new road color schemes are just something that would bug people who are interested in roads?

Almost certainly! Most of the changes to Google Maps, over the last few years, have not favored roadgeeks who simply use it to browse for fun. Ask any resident of the UK. The roads there used to be colored to match the route designation (blue, green, orange, white, etc). Now, all the colors match the rest of the world. This makes looking at maps confusing, especially since A-roads will sometimes be yellow, and sometimes white. Before, they were always green. Bing Maps still colors UK roads properly.

jp the roadgeek

1 year and 6 change requests, and CT 31 north of US 44 is still signed as a county route. of which there are none in CT.   I've had more luck with city hall and the DMV.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

I don't see anything in the article about road colors, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2017, 05:21:04 PM
I don't see anything in the article about road colors, though.

I thought I saw the changes in some of the preview images, but looking again, the Google Search and Google Assistant previews show the old colors. I thought I saw the new colors in the Google Maps preview, but I actually think it's showing the West Side Highway in Manhattan (notably not a freeway), which is already shown as a yellow today.

LM117

I see it when I use Google Maps through the desktop version on Google's webpage, but not on my android app. I think the change sucks. If there's a way to fuck something up, Google will find it, come hell or high water.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Eth

It's not a glitch.

It looks like they may have rolled this back. I saw the change a couple days ago, but today it seems to be back to how it was last week. Maybe they realized they needed to make some adjustments.

myosh_tino

Interesting...

To me it looks like it depends on what browser you are using.  On my main desktop Mac running OS X 10.12 (Sierra) using Safari, Google Maps appears like the example Index posted where arterials and freeways are the same color.  However, if I switch to Google Chrome, the colors of each type of roadway are different.

To make thing even more bizarre, on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) using Safari, freeways and arterials are colored differently.

So to summarize...
MacOS X 10.12 w/Safari v10 -- Arterials/Freeways Same Color
MacOS X 10.12 w/Chrome v62 -- Arterials/Freeways Different Color
MacOS X 10.11 w/Safari v9 -- Arterials/Freeways Different Color
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Eth

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 20, 2017, 08:52:01 PM
So to summarize...

My own observations:
MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) w/ Chrome (61? I updated today, so may have been 61), November 18 – Arterials/Freeways Same Color
MacOS 10.13 w/ Chrome 62, November 20 – Arterials/Freeways Different Color
MacOS 10.13 w/ Safari 11, November 20 – Arterials/Freeways Different Color
Android 7.1.1 w/ Google Maps app v9.66.1, November 20 – Arterials/Freeways Different Color

jakeroot

On Windows 10....something, I can't get "the look" to show up on any browser. Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE -- nothing.

myosh_tino

Just did a quick check on my Windows 7 machine...

Windows 7 w/Firefox v55 -- Arterials/Freeways Different Color

Quote from: jakeroot on November 20, 2017, 10:55:10 PM
On Windows 10....something, I can't get "the look" to show up on any browser. Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE -- nothing.

Windows 10 is banned from my computers  :)
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jakeroot

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 21, 2017, 01:45:06 AM

Windows 10 is banned from my computers  :)

Windows 10 is by far the best OS Microsoft has ever made. They like to shove updates down the throats of users, but it's mostly for the greater good. Not like Apple doesn't do the same thing.

You could have also been making a "Windows sucks in general" joke. In which case, that's fine. But it's lost on gamers like me. You just can't game on a Mac.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on November 21, 2017, 02:19:36 AM
You could have also been making a "Windows sucks in general" joke. In which case, that's fine. But it's lost on gamers like me. You just can't game on a Mac.

That's why I have Win10 too. It also helps that I have never had to purchase Windows myself. My first computer was a gift, and for the computer I built for myself in 2010 (and am still using albeit with upgrades), I got a license for Windows 7 for free from my university (which I later used to get the free 10 upgrade).

I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP this past January.  I like being a little behind the times  ;-)
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

index

Quote from: 20160805 on November 21, 2017, 07:17:51 AM
I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP this past January.  I like being a little behind the times  ;-)

As do I. I intend on staying on Windows 7 as long as it does what I need it to do and is supported by the programs, drivers, and hardware I use.

Counties traveled

index

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 20, 2017, 08:52:01 PM
Interesting...

To me it looks like it depends on what browser you are using.  On my main desktop Mac running OS X 10.12 (Sierra) using Safari, Google Maps appears like the example Index posted where arterials and freeways are the same color.  However, if I switch to Google Chrome, the colors of each type of roadway are different.

To make thing even more bizarre, on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) using Safari, freeways and arterials are colored differently.

So to summarize...

On the topic of this, I believe it's because Google is rolling out the new update in waves. Not all browsers/people/etc will get it at the same time. It showed up for one of my friends (who uses Chrome) the day after Google announced it, and showed up for another person I know a few days after it was announced. (they use Firefox) As for me, I still haven't got it yet. I'm a Chrome user.

Counties traveled

silverback1065

it looks terrible, they just cant stop fucking with it.

J N Winkler

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 21, 2017, 01:45:06 AMWindows 7 w/Firefox v55 -- Arterials/Freeways Different Color

Also true here for same OS, Firefox version 48.

Not to drag this thread too far OT, but I have no plans to upgrade from Windows 7 on the current primary computer (purchased 2011, not going to be replaced until 2019 at earliest) and still run XP on a laptop (purchased 2006) that is now used primarily to operate a four-in-one multifunction printer as a document scanner.  In spite of repeated assurances from people working in IT support who maintain that Windows 10 is just fine on the majority of computers that meet its hardware specs, in this household we have noticed its implementation of SMB is rough-edged.  The family member who uses an Android tablet to look at PDF documents held on his laptop HD has had problems with Windows 10 suddenly refusing to serve directory listings or files over the SMB connection.  This is a well-known issue with Windows 10 and there are varying recipes for fixing it, each of which works for one subset of users and not for others.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 21, 2017, 10:12:24 AM
it looks terrible, they just cant stop fucking with it.

That's the problem with programmers.  It's perfect, so let's make it "better"!  More like, better, my ass.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.