News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com

Started by hm insulators, October 21, 2013, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on March 11, 2019, 04:57:25 PM
*gratuitous sex scene*

Wait, is that the topic of a thread you'll never see on aaroads.com?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wxfree

"What happened to the daylight saving time threads?"

I'm fascinated by the obsession with the topic here.  I keep expecting the topic to die off, but it has more lives than a litter of kittens.

On a related but unrelated topic, I kinda want to start a thread for "Daylight wasting time" and see if it gets locked.  I think that would be a good subject line for another Alanland-like discussion.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: wxfree on March 12, 2019, 10:43:13 PM
I kinda want to start a thread for "Daylight wasting time" and see if it gets locked.

That's just another name for the now-locked DST threads.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2019, 10:19:13 PM
*gratuitous sex scene*

No, that would be "top 10 unappreciated Wayne's World references on AARoads.com" .

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on March 12, 2019, 11:08:15 PM
*gratuitous sex scene*

No, that would be "top 10 unappreciated Wayne's World references on AARoads.com" .

[Don't] talk about it anymore. It's giving me a headache.

1995hoo

I'm fascinated by the obsession with the topic here.  I keep expecting the topic to die off, but it has more lives than a litter of kittens.

On a related but unrelated topic, I kinda want to start a thread for "Daylight wasting time" and see if it gets locked.  I think that would be a good subject line for another Alanland-like discussion.

I feel like DST-bashing has become a bit of a fad in recent years. There have always been people who disliked it, but I don't recall them being quite so vocal until these last few years.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2019, 07:22:49 AM

I feel like DST-bashing has become a bit of a fad in recent years. There have always been people who disliked it, but I don't recall them being quite so vocal until these last few years.
It's the internet.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US71

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 13, 2019, 09:39:55 AM

It's the internet.

Duh! But my point is that even with Internet discussion and the like, the anti-DST crowd seem to have become much more vocal in the past three or four years, whereas Internet access has been widespread for a lot longer than that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Over-moderation and anal-retentive moderation happened to them.

In all honesty, I started the DST 2019 thread just to see what would happen to it. I think the fascination with the subject, at least on my end, is because DST is such a good thing and the people who don't like it are wrong.  :-D

QuoteOn a related but unrelated topic, I kinda want to start a thread for "Daylight wasting time" and see if it gets locked.  I think that would be a good subject line for another Alanland-like discussion.

Tim has called it that for years. He's not a fan. Me, however; I'm loving the fact that there's plenty of daylight left when I get home in the evenings. I had to work late yesterday and it wasn't dark when I got home at 7:30, which is a good thing.

Quote from: US71 on March 13, 2019, 09:47:42 AM

Does anybody really care? If so, I can't imagine why. We've all got time enough to die.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on March 13, 2019, 05:21:27 AM
*gratuitous sex scene*

Quote from: formulanone on March 13, 2019, 05:21:27 AM
*gratuitous sex scene*

Don't @ me. Seriously.

thenetwork

Either 25 or 6 to 4.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 13, 2019, 10:03:42 AM

I feel like DST-bashing has become a bit of a fad in recent years. There have always been people who disliked it, but I don’t recall them being quite so vocal until these last few years.
It's the internet.

Duh! But my point is that even with Internet discussion and the like, the anti-DST crowd seem to have become much more vocal in the past three or four years, whereas Internet access has been widespread for a lot longer than that.

Maybe it's the same crowd that was bashing Obama for the previous 7 years.

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 13, 2019, 01:27:46 PM

It's the internet.

There does seem to be a lot of overlap between anti-DST types and anti-federalism/anti-big-government types.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 13, 2019, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 13, 2019, 01:27:46 PM

It's the internet.

There does seem to be a lot of overlap between anti-DST types and anti-federalism/anti-big-government types.
Well DST is the government changing time.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

I wonder if urban areas are more likely to be located in the eastern end of time zones than the western end.  Basically, I'm wondering if there's a third factor underlying the correlation.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2019, 02:29:28 PM
I wonder if urban areas are more likely to be located in the eastern end of time zones than the western end.  Basically, I'm wondering if there's a third factor underlying the correlation.

Hmmm. Well, that applies to at least the entire east coast, and Chicago.

davewiecking

If you assume that the Eastern time zone is centered on 75deg W, the NYC-DC megalopolis is right smack in the middle, as are Montreal and Ottawa.

cjk374

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

vdeane

One thing to clarify is what "ending DST" means.  Many people use "end DST" to refer to going on permanent daylight time rather than permanent standard time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Lets re-rail the thread please.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hotdogPi

Spinoff threads:

Bands that should have called it quits before they started
Daily weather update thread
Normal things found in Google Street View
Signs that aren't the worst, but I personally think they are
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sprjus4

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.