News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-South / Re: I-69 in Arkansas
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 11:33:56 AM
Arkansas should strive to completing Interstates 49 and 57 before tackling Interstate 69 (which might not ever exist beyond two-lane segments constructed in a piecemeal format).
Southeast / Re: NC: The proposed I-685
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 11:28:44 AM
Will making the US 421 corridor Interstate 685 boost economic growth? Wouldn't making the corridor completely freeway but leaving it US 421 boost just as much growth. If it were a brand-new corridor being built from scratch, that would be one thing. However, future 685 will parallel an existing US Highway corridor, like many Interstate Highways do (both former and existing). I'm not saying 685 shouldn't be built, but I think the economic development argument falls short (and usually does).
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 11:15:03 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 20, 2024, 11:58:42 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2024, 09:43:05 PMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/wGw4s4nbfuHJPhsn9
This is the welcome sign to the State of Pennsylvania for US 6/209 from New York.

Gateway instead of Welcome is most unusual.

I forgot about MAC. I grew up in North Jersey. They started the ATM move in that region.  Didn't realize that sign on the defunct bank was there.

I'm sure that MAC sign was covered up for years when it was an actual bank, but it's great to see them in the wild.  MAC, for those not aware, was the original ATM network in the greater Philadelphia area region.  Early on, you couldn't get your money from any ATM anywhere.  It was often in a regional network.  "Tap Mac" was the slogan used in this area.  The older-timers will still say they need to Tap Mac, or hit a Mac machine, if they need to go to an ATM.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by webny99 - Today at 11:07:09 AM
The Chiefs famously had three plays in 13 seconds, so it's safe to say all plays are not distributed evenly, especially in end of half and end of game scenarios when clock management is a huge factor.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by PColumbus73 - Today at 10:39:23 AM
Quote from: Jim on May 18, 2024, 10:06:59 PMLooks like these kinds of "Change Lanes Later" signs were mentioned several years ago in the South Carolina thread, but without a picture.  I don't recall seeing one of these before.  This one's within the movement from South Carolina 9 to US 17 North via (I think) a little piece of South Carolina 90.  Taken on November 5, 2023.

I'm mixed on these signs, I think 'Continuous/ Free Flowing Right Turn' would be better. But, since this lane merges, I think it would encourage people to stop in the merge lane.
Photos, Videos, and More / Re: The Hunty Roads Thread
Last post by Hunty2022 - Today at 10:31:16 AM
In honor of the one year anniversary of my Trip to Orange on May 21, 2023, I have published a Road Trip page for it:

https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com/p/may-21-2023-trip-to-orange.html
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by westerninterloper - Today at 10:29:33 AM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on Today at 09:08:54 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on May 20, 2024, 02:36:28 PM
Quote from: westerninterloper on May 20, 2024, 10:35:21 AMI just drove I-70 across Indiana in both directions, and wow, that road is in bad shape almost its entire length. Especially in the right lanes, its clear the likely-original concrete is collapsing and needs a total rebuild.

Around mile 15 on eastbound 70, cars and semis hopped over one crevasse in the road, there are awful potholes, etc.

I don't know that any other road is in such bad shape in Indiana, though I drive from Detroit to Terre Haute, so I usually only am on I-69 and I-70. Ohio's interstates are much better maintained.

What's going on with that highway - is there a big plan to rebuild it soon? It needs significant attention.
Most pavement state-wide is in a very bad shape, especially across Indianapolis. Potholes are everywhere, and there are so many trucks and traffic on the highways with Indiana's wild weather roller coasters that it's near impossible for INDOT to keep up with new ones. And with all the traffic, those potholes can grow in size and depth very quickly.

Full-depth rebuilds aren't holding up, either. Come and drive SR 66 between Rockport and the SR 70 junction west of Troy - which was completely closed for 2 construction seasons less than 5 years ago. The base under the shoulders has failed and caused the outer part of both lanes to sink. Don't have to guess what that feels like in the rain, or honestly any other time. If I go to Tell City, I most often just drive up 231 and take 70 east. Much better road.

I wonder if this has to do with the "public-private" partnership approach under Governor Daniels - I recall that essentially fell apart with the second or third phase of the I-69 build, fly-by-night private companies would underbid established road construction companies, but not be able to handle the work. Perhaps the results of this approach are showing now across the state?
Mid-South / Re: I-69 in Arkansas
Last post by MikieTimT - Today at 10:15:09 AM
Quote from: bwana39 on Today at 08:01:15 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on May 20, 2024, 10:05:38 AMWhen Arkansas plans on completing the other lanes and thus making it limited access in a reasonably short period after the Super-2 construction, they generally go ahead and do the interchanges and also the other 2 lanes under any overpasses constructed, at least between the exit/entrance ramps.  Given that it's likely a while before anything else is constructed in that part of the state given population and traffic counts other than continued segments of Super-2, I'd bet on doing interchanges only really at the endpoints of each project and leaving the rest as on-grade intersections until closer to time to flesh out the other 2 lanes.  I'd love to be wrong though.

It appears that Arkansas is doing this as part of a much needed upgrade to AR-4 (oops, I meant US-278). My take is while they are holding out hope that I-69 will eventually run along this route, the construction is proceeding as if it will not. US-278 has an average speed limit of 47 MPH between McGehee and Hope. Stretches go from a HIGH of 55 mph to as low as 35 through some of the unincorporated villages.

Arkansas itself has said they will NEVER be able to afford their 20% of the bridge complex at Arkansas City (their portion as much as $200M for the bridge and elevated approaches.  The total being around $1.5B with Arkansas being responsible for 60% of the 20% match.)

With the other, much more pressing priorities around the state even taking decades to fund, we won't live long enough to see it, so the estimated cost is moot as inflation will triple the cost they are currently estimating before both Arkansas and Mississippi can come up with their 20%.  It either becomes a federal priority with earmarks funding another 10%, or we don't live to see it.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by adt1982 - Today at 10:12:07 AM
Quote from: pianocello on May 20, 2024, 08:12:10 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on May 20, 2024, 07:30:58 PMSo why do they need to close half the highway?

I'm guessing it's a full-depth reconstruction, where they would strip the road to its core and rebuild it from scratch. It's possible to close one lane at a time, protect the work zone with a barrier wall, and keep the traffic from crossing over, but if there's a 1- to 2-foot dropoff on the other side of the wall there has to be enough space to protect errant vehicles from crossing into the work zone.

Plus workers can move more quickly if they don't have to constantly check for traffic barreling within 5 feet of them at 70 miles an hour.

Yes, it's a full-depth rebuild.  I believe this is one of the oldest stretches of 70 in Illinois.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by silverback1065 - Today at 09:20:39 AM
not sure I completely agree. 74, 69, and 65 (south of lafayette down to louisville) aren't in too bad of shape. 70 is a mess.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.