News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-2, Stevens Pass

Started by Landshark, July 01, 2011, 06:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landshark

Good article from the Seattle Times:

A mile-by-mile driving, hiking and roadside-wonders guide to scenic Stevens Pass

The entirety of Highway 2 stretches almost 2,600 miles, from Everett to St. Ignace, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. On its way east, the highway passes through Leavenworth and Wenatchee, then across the great wheat fields of Eastern Washington and on through Spokane. The 90-mile segment from Monroe to just past Leavenworth has been designated the Stevens Pass Greenway Scenic Byway and is part of the popular Cascade Loop Scenic Highway. Along with its already discussed scenery and time-traveling, this stretch of roadway scrolls past rich farmland and through a number of unique byway towns and communities.

Read the whole thing here.  

Sykotyk

One of my favorite drives was Wenatchee to Seattle going this way. I've clinched all but a few miles near I-5 and a small blip in Spokane.

xonhulu

I really don't know why I haven't driven this part of US 2 yet.  It's the only major NW Cascade pass I haven't been over.  The article definitely makes me think I'll have to get up there soon.

andytom

The reason I haven't done this section is that, the year I planned to do it was the year that WA had all those bad wildland fires in that area, and I haven't had a chance to go back and do it.  The smoke in Wenatchee was so bad that, from one side of the Columbia, you couldn't see the other side.

corco

QuoteI really don't know why I haven't driven this part of US 2 yet.  It's the only major NW Cascade pass I haven't been over.  The article definitely makes me think I'll have to get up there soon.

It's my least favorite one- the scenery is decent but it seems like the scenery:RVs driving really slow ratio isn't as good as other passes. It's pretty comparable to White Pass but slower moving, although the eastbound descent is a lot less windy than White.

Definitely worth driving once if only to see Leavenworth, but it's not in the same league as Chinook/North Cascades

Fcexpress80

Highway 2 over Stevens Pass is one of Washington State's "El Camino de Muertos."  It is known for its lack of safety improvements on high speed sections and speed traps in the many small towns it passes through, especially in Snohomish County between Everett and Stevens Pass.  The road commands your full attention and respect.  I do use it often when I ski at Stevens Pass or travel to Leavenworth although I much rather prefer the US-97 route to the latter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.