News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minnesota county route shields

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, August 09, 2017, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I'd appreciate help since I haven't been to all 87 counties, but my observation is:

Blue pentagons exclusively or largely dominant:
Chisago
Twin Cities 7-county area, except Carver
Wright

Mix of blue pentagons and white rectangles:
Cook (wave of blue pentagons installed in last three years)
Freeborn
Goodhue?
Isanti
St. Louis
Stearns

White rectangles exclusively or largely dominant:
Everywhere else

I'd love to discuss the history of the two shield designs and their usage.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hockeyjohn

Polk County seems to use blue/white/yellow pentagonal signs on County Secondary Aid Highways (generally  lower numbered, more significant roads), while the white squares are for the remaining county roads.    I have seen recent installations, however, where white squares show up on CSAH.

tman

Nicollet county: white square exclusively

Brown county: blue pentagons exclusively

Sibley county: mixture

I think that, from what I've seen, the blue pentagon seems to be more popular. But there are a bunch of counties using the square.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bschultzy

Dakota is a mix, both on signs along 35E and marked on the roads themselves.

US71

I found one advance intersection with a pentagon and a square together

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

I've been meaning to compile a full list for my website...just haven't done anything about it yet.  From my own observation, there are four different categories:

- Blue pentagon exclusively
- White square exclusively
- Blue pentagon for county state aid highways and white square for other county roads
- A more general mix of blue pentagon and white square

An example of that last one is Chippewa County.  I noticed a couple weeks ago that eastern Chippewa County is blue pentagon while the western half of the county is white square.

US71

I saw several TWP white squares along 71 and mostly whte square county, though many of the county roads themselves use the pentagon.
Koohkoning (sp?) Is predominantly white squares.

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dvferyance

I have never been a fan of Minnesota using the blue and yellow Pentagon. It looks too similar to their state shield which also uses the same colors. I can see the confusion.

Brandon

Quote from: dvferyance on August 10, 2017, 12:14:30 PM
I have never been of Minnesota using the blue and yellow Pentagon. It looks too similar to their state shield which also uses the same colors. I can see the confusion.

WTF?  They're entirely different shapes.  At that rate, you'll mix up state route and interstate shields.  Hell, the Wisconsin marker is closer in shape to the US marker than that!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on August 10, 2017, 12:44:21 PM
I have never been of Minnesota using the blue and yellow Pentagon. It looks too similar to their state shield which also uses the same colors. I can see the confusion.

WTF?  They're entirely different shapes.  At that rate, you'll mix up state route and interstate shields.  Hell, the Wisconsin marker is closer in shape to the US marker than that!

So much so that I never noticed that I had photographed a "WIS 61" sign during my first foray into Wisconsin until much, much later, when I was reviewing my photos. Normally a state-US mixup will jump out at me like a sore thumb, but that one didn't because of the similarity of the route marker shapes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Both Renville and Norman counties use a mix of both.

I'm pretty sure Aitkin and Itasca counties use white squares exclusively.

DandyDan

Freeborn County is a mixture of both, with the CSAH's getting the blue pentagon. I believe Nobles County is the same. Mower County is exclusively blue pentagon. Rock County is exclusively white square and I believe so are Rice and Steele Counties.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

DandyDan

I have never been a fan of Minnesota using the blue and yellow Pentagon. It looks too similar to their state shield which also uses the same colors. I can see the confusion.
On the flip side, the white square, IMO, too closely resembles a speed limit sign. I made the trip up to Rochester and Olmsted County, which uses the white square, likes to put the county route shield and the speed limit sign side by side, or at least they do on county route 22, Rochester's loop route
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.