News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Madison Area

Started by peterj920, February 24, 2019, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Throwback article mentioned in the Madison paper (an editorial from 1944): Madison badly needs a beltline
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

The Ghostbuster

Well, Madison did get a beltline (though when it first opened in 1951, it was just a two-lane highway). Now if they could find a way to improve the roadway without plowing down everything around it (maybe building elevated lanes in the median, to minimize right-of-way expansion).

peterj920

Finally seeing some resurfacing on the west end of the US 12/Beltline resurfacing project. Will the clearview signs be replaced as a part of the project?

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on July 01, 2019, 12:18:25 AM
Finally seeing some resurfacing on the west end of the US 12/Beltline resurfacing project. Will the clearview signs be replaced as a part of the project?

No. It's purely a repair and resurfacing project. The only signs included in the plan are for traffic control.

In general, you're going to be seeing less sign replacements as part of most construction projects (which should make one member happy), as they've switched to corridor signing replacements on a 12-year cycle.

thspfc

I hate the clearview signs. They remind me of Illinois.  :spin:

SSOWorld

Quote from: DaBigE on July 01, 2019, 09:09:08 AM

No. It's purely a repair and resurfacing project. The only signs included in the plan are for traffic control.

In general, you're going to be seeing less sign replacements as part of most construction projects (which should make one member happy), as they've switched to corridor signing replacements on a 12-year cycle.
yeah - except the occasional slipping in of control cities with political influence (*cough* Mount Pleasant *cough*)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: thspfc on July 01, 2019, 11:12:42 AM

Could we get away from the emotional aspect of Clearview font, and recognize the fact that Clearview serves its purpose in providing an easier-to-read font at highway speeds?   Being one that doesn’t always embrace change (i. e. the loss of Wisconsin’s classic horizontal overhead stoplights), this is one change that is better. Particularly for those with changing vision with age. 

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2019, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplexUS 14 has to be over the threshold for four lanes out to Cross Plains by now.  Do it right and avoid creating the next Verona Rd.

You could probably make an argument/case for it out to Black Earth at this point.  As for "doing it right", that would involve buying up private access points and making it limited-access at a minimum.  That won't be cheap.  Nor will redoing the 12/14 interchange given the railroad.

This is one of the most unrecognized exurban highway needs in southern Wisconsin.  I would add that corridor could use expansion to Spring Green and other improvements all the way to Gotham.  It’s been congested for over a generation. 

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: mrose on February 26, 2019, 11:51:40 PM
Beltline / 18-151 interchange - I don't know what it is like these days, but I don't recall that area ever being anything more than a tight squeeze, even 25 years ago.

Seems like one of those things that was always underbuilt and then development filled in all the space to the point where there's kinda no easy answer.

The Verona Road/Beltline interchange has been a problem area ever since it’s construction in 1947-51.  Its renovations have provided fleeting relief at best.  The original at-grade intersection lasted roughly 8 years before the interchange was built.  The Beltline was expanded to 6 lanes east of there in 1970, requiring another interchange rebuilding.  Another in 1973 with the Midvale/Verona Road realignment.  More improvements in the ‘80s, and now the latest reincarnation—with its limited lifetime.  Too bad it’s never gotten built, a la Phase 3, the right way.  Reminds me of MnDOT’s approach to band-aid fixes that only last a few years. 

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 01, 2019, 09:16:19 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on July 01, 2019, 09:09:08 AM

yeah - except the occasional slipping in of control cities with political influence (*cough* Mount Pleasant *cough*)

Seriously?  Mt. Pleasant is a control city?  Good Lord. 

DaBigE

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on July 02, 2019, 04:26:05 AM
Quote from: thspfc on July 01, 2019, 11:12:42 AM

Could we get away from the emotional aspect of Clearview font, and recognize the fact that Clearview serves its purpose in providing an easier-to-read font at highway speeds?   Being one that doesn't always embrace change (i. e. the loss of Wisconsin's classic horizontal overhead stoplights), this is one change that is better. Particularly for those with changing vision with age.

Can we keep the Clearview debate in its own thread? FHWA has spoken; it's time to move on. The statistics are mixed at best; flawed and purchased at worst.

triplemultiplex

Some initial work is apparent in the 39/90 median of the Beltline Interchange.  The real fun starts in spring, but they seem to be prepping a staging area immediately south of EB 12/18 in the interstate median.
As a reminder of the preferred alternative being constructed:
https://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/wp-content/uploads/sites/145/I39-90US12-18intchgprefalt-Dec2018.pdf
Basically it moves the NB lanes of 39/90 up against the SB lanes to eliminate the left exit NB.  Not the scope some may have wanted, however, I see it as an 'interim' stage for this interchange.  As evidence, check out the length of the new NB bridge over the NB-WB ramp; it has lots of space to accommodate many of the better designs that were on the table.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

US 12/ Madison Beltline resurfacing complete. Unfortunately the ramps at Todd Dr and the original Fish Hatchery Rd Rd ramps that were in worse shape than the mainline itself were not fixed.

coolkevs

3-lane Verona Rd opening on Monday - should help to alleviate lots of traffic problems although one year left with highway PD.
Still the Raymond Rd intersection, but I guess they've improved the signal timing. :-/
https://projects.511wi.gov/veronard/openlanes/?fbclid=IwAR2u1bYx4WvC7X8S14k2R7XsL7uCHRuau-7ZLVWxPnrACk88wzX8Sqvi3Yo

peterj920

Verona Rd complete. Hwy M/Pleasant View Rd complete. North Section if I-39/I-90 complete. Quite a few large projects finishing in the Madison Area in the last week!

The Ghostbuster

This article was posted today in the online version of the Wisconsin State Journal (I don't read the print version): Extra lanes on Madison's Beltline a fine idea: https://madison.com/wsj/opinion/editorial/extra-lanes-on-madison-s-beltline-a-fine-idea/article_a0bfb1de-002f-5f1e-a062-a4863ff11b73.html#1.

The story details about the proposal to turn the inner shoulder in both directions into a traffic lane during rush hour. I would support such a proposal only on 2 conditions. 1: The lane be open at all times, day or night. 2: The lane was congestion-priced, so traffic could move at the speed limit regardless of how much traffic is in the existing three general purpose lanes.

SEWIGuy

There wont be congestion pricing on the Beltline.

triplemultiplex

That inner shoulder would be awfully tight for a travel lane.

The problem with the beltline is less about capacity and more about interchange spacing.  There's too much merging going on over short distances and that ties everything up.
Additionally, there is no alternative for traffic that only uses it for two exits.
Braid a few ramps and get a decent surface alternative between South Towne and Fish Hatchery and that would help tremendously.
A shoulder lane turns 6 lanes of gridlock into 8 lanes of gridlock; that's my prediction.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: peterj920 on November 17, 2019, 12:56:24 PM
Verona Rd complete. Hwy M/Pleasant View Rd complete. North Section if I-39/I-90 complete. Quite a few large projects finishing in the Madison Area in the last week!

Did they actually open all 6 lanes to traffic from County Trunk MN to Newville?

JREwing78

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on December 14, 2019, 06:50:27 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on November 17, 2019, 12:56:24 PM

Did they actually open all 6 lanes to traffic from County Trunk MN to Newville?

Yes. 6 lanes from the Beltline interchange to Newville. SBD goes down to 2 lanes about a mile north of the Hwy 59 exit, despite being built out for 3 lanes past the SBD rest area just north of Janesville. SBD opens up to 3 lanes again about a mile from the Illinois line, just past the I-43 interchange construction area.

The lanes are built out for 4 lanes in each direction between US-14 and Avalon Rd, and 3 lanes each way from there to Hart Rd. in Beloit. They're currently only striped for 2 lanes each way because of the construction at I-43, US-14, and Hwy 26. The thinking is that having traffic merge back down from 3/4 lanes back down to 2 lanes multiple times causes a safety risk.

peterj920

Hwy D/Fish Hatchery Rd reconstruction will now be split between 2 year in 2020-2012 and Hwy PD/McKee Rd between Verona Rd and Seminole Highway will be reconstructed in 2020. It will be pretty miserable getting around Fitchburg this year.

DaBigE

Quote from: peterj920 on January 07, 2020, 02:50:42 PM
Hwy D/Fish Hatchery Rd reconstruction will now be split between 2 year in 2020-2012 and Hwy PD/McKee Rd between Verona Rd and Seminole Highway will be reconstructed in 2020. It will be pretty miserable getting around Fitchburg this year.

Toss in some bridge rehab work along US 14 south of the beltline, and you'll want to avoid Fitchburg/Oregon altogether.

SSOWorld

Quote from: DaBigE on January 07, 2020, 04:32:50 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on January 07, 2020, 02:50:42 PM
Toss in some bridge rehab work along US 14 south of the beltline, and you'll want to avoid Fitchburg/Oregon altogether.
Isn't it always a bitch to get around Fitchburg?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

Fish Hatchery is in the throes of the reconstruction project.  One lane in each direction for about 3/4 mi from the Beltline south.
Simultaneously, WisDOT has a project this year to fix up all the bridges on US 14 between the Beltline and Oregon, so that is also down to one lane in each direction.

Really great job of coordinating those two projects!
:pan:

Meanwhile over by "The Interstate", the new NB bridges are starting to go in through the Beltline interchange.  Should be seeing cranes around there all summer long.  It should become clear fairly soon how the new bridges are being constructed with the future in mind.  The width for a third lane will be obvious.  Less so will be the extra distance spanned over the NB->WB turbine ramp to accommodate future c/d action for the Beltline between I-39/90 and Stoughton Rd.

SEWIGuy

Is US-14 really the alternative for that portion of Fish Hatchery?  I grew up just off of Fish Hatch but south of there - off Irish Lane. The alternatives I would have used would have been either Seminole Highway if I were headed west, or Syene and McCoy Roads if I were headed east.  If I were headed downtown, I would have caught US-14 at the McCoy Road exit, well north of where most of the bridge construction project is, and taken Park Street.  Or maybe I would have gotten onto Rimrock Road over to John Nolen Drive.  But I don't think I would have taken US-14.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.