News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 10 - Detroit Lakes, Minnesota

Started by Dougtone, December 27, 2018, 09:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Courtesy of the Detroit Lakes online website, here is some history about US 10 in Detroit Lakes, MN, including a snippet and map about a proposed, but never built southern bypass of Detroit Lakes that would have carried US 10.

https://www.dl-online.com/news/3593522-highway-history-dl-nixed-bypass

froggie

A new one for me.  I'd seen long-past proposals for Wadena, Staples, and Motley bypasses, but not Detroit Lakes.

triplemultiplex

Maybe it's just the imprecision of the map, but it looks like the proposal would've sent US 10 right through at least two small lakes east of US 59.  One is called "Glawe Lake".

Ah, the simplicity of mid-century shortsightedness.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MNHighwayMan

There's examples of that all over the state, and even more if you include wetlands. I wouldn't call it shortsightedness, in as much as that back then, there was no appreciation for the environmental damage that can be done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.