TV-Movie Road inaccuracies that drive you crazy!

Started by Captain Jack, August 10, 2018, 02:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

I used to work in the office building that housed the flower shop that the President called to order flowers and, later, where he showed up in person.  It was in the office building behind the Willard Hotel, and it is very close to the White House.  Visiting foreign dignitaries would frequently stay at the Willard.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: DJ Particle on November 20, 2018, 03:26:39 AM
Quote from: cwf1701 on August 12, 2018, 06:50:45 PM
How about a 2-lane I-25 in Doctor Who? The real life version of the road is 4 lanes at the sign for Truth or Consequences NM.

I know the episode in question...it's one of the two animated episodes featuring the Tenth Doctor - "Dreamland"

It's not the 2 lane road that stands out in and of itself, as they did mean to show the early days of the Interstate system (which did often have 2-lane roads signed as Interstates).

What stands out is that particular scene supposedly takes place in *1947*!!  It shows the fabled "Roswell crash" happening.

Um...there were NO Interstate highways in 1947...

Not only that, but Truth or Consequences, NM wasn't named such until the mid-1950s.

The 2-lane I-25 also shows up in the Twelfth Doctor 2-part The Zygon Invasion and The Zygon Inversion. In that case, it's supposed to be modern day, which is obviously wrong to portray it as a narrow, windy 2-lane.

DJ Particle

Quote from: FrCorySticha on December 18, 2018, 05:09:28 PM
The 2-lane I-25 also shows up in the Twelfth Doctor 2-part The Zygon Invasion and The Zygon Inversion. In that case, it's supposed to be modern day, which is obviously wrong to portray it as a narrow, windy 2-lane.

How did I miss that?   :confused:

RobbieL2415

On the X-Files when they establish the location as San Francisco but the stoplights would all have yellow reflectors behind them meaning its actually BC, Canada.

abefroman329

It wasn't a road inaccuracy, but a recent episode of Roseanne had a character say they were going to a concert "in Ravinia."  "At Ravinia"  would've been the correct terminology, since it's a concert venue and not the name of a city or town.

ErmineNotyours

When I myself was a kid, I read the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, set in Portland, Oregon.  In one book, she told her dad that she wanted to stand on the middle of the Interstate Bridge with her arms stretched out, one in Oregon and one in Washington.  That's a very kid thing to do; I myself was and am interested in state and international borders.  However, her dad dissuaded her of that notion, saying the bridge is on an Interstate highway, and is closed to pedestrians.  When I finally went over the bridge, I saw that it has a sidewalk, and later I was able to walk over it myself.  It's an old bridge, so it's likely it was open back when the book was being written.  Either this is a lapse in research, or a "character error".  Perhaps the dad really didn't know the bridge was open to pedestrians, or he didn't want to bother to drive out there and then walk several long minutes with traffic roaring right by you.  I walked out there to take a picture of an unusual sign that I'm posting over on the Good, Bad and Ugly thread over in Traffic Control.

bing101

thspfc

Had to bump this thread for a goof from the super bowl. A squarespace commercial is supposedly set in Winona, MN, and it shows a sign for Winona in the middle of a flat cornfield. The land around Winona is actually very steep and forested due to it being in the Mississippi valley.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on February 06, 2020, 10:24:48 PM
Had to bump this thread for a goof from the super bowl. A squarespace commercial is supposedly set in Winona, MN, and it shows a sign for Winona in the middle of a flat cornfield. The land around Winona is actually very steep and forested due to it being in the Mississippi valley.

It looked more Winona, Arizona which kind of is flat (but has a mountain backdrop with the San Francisco Peaks).

roadman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 06, 2020, 11:09:42 PM

It looked more Winona, Arizona which kind of is flat (but has a mountain backdrop with the San Francisco Peaks).

But why waste money on someone to check continuity when you're spending upwards of $10 million just to air the advertisement.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman on February 07, 2020, 10:37:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 06, 2020, 11:09:42 PM

But why waste money on someone to check continuity when you're spending upwards of $10 million just to air the advertisement.

I'd say it was more of a wasted opportunity not to tie into Get Your Kicks on Route 66 and emphasize the lyrics about Winona.  It would have made sense since that whole scene in the commercial takes place on the side of a road. 

1995hoo

I thought the Winona commercial was at least in part a send-up of the movie Fargo.

I saw a commercial the other night and now I can't remember what it was for, but someone in the ad said where they were supposed to be and said to my wife, "Then why is there a Big Green Sign in the background with a New York state route shield on it?" Anyone else seen this? I don't generally pay a lot of attention to the commercials, and it's also not unusual for me to be falling asleep on the couch in the evenings, so I have no idea what the ad was to begin trying to find it on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure I saw it sometime this week during something other than the Super Bowl.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2020, 11:58:10 AM
I saw a commercial the other night and now I can't remember what it was for, but someone in the ad said where they were supposed to be and said to my wife, "Then why is there a Big Green Sign in the background with a New York state route shield on it?" Anyone else seen this? I don't generally pay a lot of attention to the commercials, and it's also not unusual for me to be falling asleep on the couch in the evenings, so I have no idea what the ad was to begin trying to find it on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure I saw it sometime this week during something other than the Super Bowl.

That one was mentioned elsewhere on this forum. Someone asked for directions to I-70 with that sign in the background. Still no idea what it was advertising.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on February 07, 2020, 12:00:10 PM

That one was mentioned elsewhere on this forum. Someone asked for directions to I-70 with that sign in the background. Still no idea what it was advertising.

I-70, yes, that was what made me say "this is ridiculous." Thank you. The fact that neither of us recalls what was being advertised underscores how sometimes you remember the mistakes more than anything else.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

Quote from: 1 on February 07, 2020, 12:00:10 PM

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26236.0
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 24, 2018, 11:28:52 AM
When I myself was a kid, I read the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, set in Portland, Oregon.  In one book, she told her dad that she wanted to stand on the middle of the Interstate Bridge with her arms stretched out, one in Oregon and one in Washington.  That's a very kid thing to do; I myself was and am interested in state and international borders.  However, her dad dissuaded her of that notion, saying the bridge is on an Interstate highway, and is closed to pedestrians.  When I finally went over the bridge, I saw that it has a sidewalk, and later I was able to walk over it myself.  It's an old bridge, so it's likely it was open back when the book was being written.  Either this is a lapse in research, or a "character error".  Perhaps the dad really didn't know the bridge was open to pedestrians, or he didn't want to bother to drive out there and then walk several long minutes with traffic roaring right by you.  I walked out there to take a picture of an unusual sign that I'm posting over on the Good, Bad and Ugly thread over in Traffic Control.
Maybe the sidewalks were added after, or even in response to, the book's release?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

ErmineNotyours

In the opposite of the Superbowl commercial is the movie Paper Towns.  I read that book and then watched the movie (available at Dollar Tree) based on discussion on this forum.  Friends of a missing adult young woman tracked her down to a paper town in New York State.  When one of them finally meets her, we see diamond shaped state route markers instead of New York shields.  This turned out to be in Mooresville, North Carolina.  Approximately here: Street View.  Considering the interest in the topic from map and geography fans, you would think people would notice this error.

CNGL-Leudimin

This :sombrero::

I swear this is much closer to me than it appears. And indeed, it is (n.b.: it's on the other side of the freeway, which Mr. Google hasn't photo'ed yet). This freeway sees so little traffic, it is often used for movie shootings, hence its inclusion on this thread.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Tonytone

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 08, 2020, 06:28:03 PM
This :sombrero::

I swear this is much closer to me than it appears. And indeed, it is (n.b.: it's on the other side of the freeway, which Mr. Google hasn't photo'ed yet). This freeway sees so little traffic, it is often used for movie shootings, hence its inclusion on this thread.
Shit whats more intriguing is the lightpost & the lights they used. Ive never seen a design as interesting as that.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

MNHighwayMan

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that commercial! There's no way that was either Winona proper, nor a real sign.

PHLBOS

While recently watching the extended version of the 1963 movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World; one of the extra scenes shows all 4 vehicles turning south per Capt. Culpepper's (Spencer Tracy) prediction.  However, the scene shows all the vehicles turning left which contradicts the black-marker wall map at the police station showing that turning south would mean making a right turn since all the vehicles were initially heading east (left-to-right).

Maybe such was one reason why the above-driving scene was cut from the shorter version of the film.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2020, 08:53:01 AM
While recently watching the extended version of the 1963 movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World; one of the extra scenes shows all 4 vehicles turning south per Capt. Culpepper's (Spencer Tracy) prediction.  However, the scene shows all the vehicles turning left which contradicts the black-marker wall map at the police station showing that turning south would mean making a right turn since all the vehicles were initially heading east (left-to-right).

Maybe such was one reason why the above-driving scene was cut from the shorter version of the film.

Actually, the "extended" version of the movie, like the previous DVD releases, still cuts out a key scene - when they all turn right going through downtown Valley Center, which establishes their southbound direction per Culpepper's prediction.  Apart from the original airings on TV, the only time this scene was not cut from the movie was in the original VHS release.

The "left turn" scene in the movie you reference, which takes place at a non descript desert junction that's supposed to be beyond Valley Center, has never been cut from any version of the movie (broadcast, VHS, or DVD) that I've ever seen.  And, like you, the inference that this scene is the southbound turn, due to the omission of the Valley Center right turn scene, has always bothered me.

Another cut movie scene that has always bothered me is in Duel, where Dennis Weaver, while in one of his trance moods, realizes that he's approaching the pass and starts thinking it through.  In the DVD version, Weaver's "in his head" dialogue about the pass and how the truck won't be able to keep up on the grade is shortened to a single "You can't beat me on the grade".

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 09:15:59 AM

Actually, the "extended" version of the movie, like the previous DVD releases, still cuts out a key scene - when they all turn right going through downtown Valley Center, which establishes their southbound direction per Culpepper's prediction.  Apart from the original airings on TV, the only time this scene was not cut from the movie was in the original VHS release.

The "left turn" scene in the movie you reference, which takes place at a non descript desert junction that's supposed to be beyond Valley Center, has never been cut from any version of the movie (broadcast, VHS, or DVD) that I've ever seen.  And, like you, the inference that this scene is the southbound turn, due to the omission of the Valley Center right turn scene, has always bothered me.
The extended version scene I'm referring to is in the DVD/Blue Ray package.  Right after said-left-turn scene; there's a deleted scene back at the station where Culpepper reaches overhead and takes Aloysius' (William Demarest) money from the fore-mentioned bet regarding everyone turning south (the earlier bet-statement scene is shown in all versions).  Note: the cut/extended scenes are shown in a lower quality in terms of color-restoration.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2020, 09:59:43 AM
Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 09:15:59 AM

The extended version scene I'm referring to is in the DVD/Blue Ray package.  Right after said-left-turn scene; there's a deleted scene back at the station where Culpepper reaches overhead and takes Aloysius' (William Demarest) money from the fore-mentioned bet regarding everyone turning south (the earlier bet-statement scene is shown in all versions).  Note: the cut/extended scenes are shown in a lower quality in terms of color-restoration.

Thanks for the clarification.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 10, 2020, 10:24:37 AMThanks for the clarification.
No problem.  I should've also mentioned that such scenes are shown in the Road-Show edition, where practical.  The DVD/Blue Ray combo package, that came out about 5 years ago, offers both the standard version without the deleted scenes and the Road-Show version with the extra scenes and/or stills in some instances.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.