News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Has anyone seen this big of a gap before?

Started by Flint1979, April 03, 2019, 07:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

In southern Wayne County there is a north-south road called Hall Road it's a discontinuous street that runs west of I-75 parallel with it. As you can see in the Google Maps link I'm about to post at the end of this Vreeland Road runs east and west and you'll notice how large of a gap Hall Road has (almost 3/4 of a mile) between the segment that dead ends at the tracks north of Vreeland and the segment that goes south of Vreeland Road to Gibraltar Road. Anyway here's the map: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1089887,-83.2585906,15.2z

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 03, 2019, 07:03:19 AM
In southern Wayne County there is a north-south road called Hall Road it's a discontinuous street that runs west of I-75 parallel with it. As you can see in the Google Maps link I'm about to post at the end of this Vreeland Road runs east and west and you'll notice how large of a gap Hall Road has (almost 3/4 of a mile) between the segment that dead ends at the tracks north of Vreeland and the segment that goes south of Vreeland Road to Gibraltar Road. Anyway here's the map: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1089887,-83.2585906,15.2z
Heh.  See NY Route 42's gap.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on April 03, 2019, 07:09:01 AM
Heh.  See NY Route 42's gap.
I've seen gaps like that in the state highway system before where they use the same number for a northern segment and Southern segment like New York 42 here. The thing with Hall Road is that it seems like it should have a different Road name at that point.

Road Hog

Lots of cities have discontinuous streets that keep their name if they fall within the city's grid. Let's say that 15th Avenue ends at Spring Street and picks up again eight blocks later at Front Street. The city decided to keep that name as part of its grid. No big deal.

keithvh

FWIW - Hall Road used to be a continuous road back north and south of Vreeland Road back in the 1960s.  You can verify this by looking at old USGS maps.

But in 1972, Ford put in the Flat Rock Assembly Plant.  That marked the end of "old" Hall Road south of Vreeland.  They then built a "new" Hall Road south of Vreeland on the west end of the Plant site.

As for keeping the name, who knows why.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

you can see in the Google Maps link I'm about to post ... the segment that dead ends at the tracks north of Vreeland

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1089887,-83.2585906,15.2z

I don't see that.  Where is it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 03, 2019, 02:19:14 PM
you can see in the Google Maps link I'm about to post ... the segment that dead ends at the tracks north of Vreeland

Yeah, I only see one Hall Rd -- south of the railroad tracks. So I guess it must be the northern one that I'm not seeing?

1995hoo

Quote from: Road Hog on April 03, 2019, 11:44:58 AM
Lots of cities have discontinuous streets that keep their name if they fall within the city's grid. Let's say that 15th Avenue ends at Spring Street and picks up again eight blocks later at Front Street. The city decided to keep that name as part of its grid. No big deal.

This is particularly common in places that assign one permissible name per "alphabet." Arlington, Virginia, is a good example–there are four "alphabets" with increasing numbers of syllables (one through four, although the only four-syllable name is Arizona Street and it's a minuscule bit of road), and for each "alphabet" there is one name permitted. So, for example, the three-syllable alphabet has Buchanan Street as the authorized name for "B." That means they assign "Buchanan" to any north-south street when the second spot in the third alphabet is due up, regardless of whether there's another street elsewhere with the same name. So there are at least five different disconnected streets named "N Buchanan Street" and another five named "S Buchanan Street." (The "Buchanan" example comes readily to mind because about 27 years ago I liked this girl who lived on Buchanan Street but I forgot to confirm which segment and I wound up driving around like an idiot until I found a pay phone.) Arlington is one place where a sat-nav is a really useful device.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MikieTimT

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on April 03, 2019, 02:28:57 PM
Yeah, I only see one Hall Rd -- south of the railroad tracks. So I guess it must be the northern one that I'm not seeing?

Crude highlighted map for the people struggling.

Red: Hall Rd south of Vreeland Rd
Blue: Hall Rd north of Vreeland Rd, south of the tracks
Green: Hall Rd north of the tracks

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

kphoger

Oh boy, so I think the real problem is that those two roads shouldn't even have the same name.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 03, 2019, 03:27:09 PM
Crude highlighted map for the people struggling.
Red: Hall Rd south of Vreeland Rd
Blue: Hall Rd north of Vreeland Rd, south of the tracks
Green: Hall Rd north of the tracks

Got it, thank you!

I wasn't even looking for a horizontal gap. I assumed, as I believe most people did, that the OP meant a vertical gap. Therefore, when I saw the Hall Rd in red, I scrolled for ages looking for the other half -- but only north and south, never once east or west.

Anyways, glad we got the horizontal vs vertical gap issue cleared up, because the two are completely different scenarios.

skluth

None of these are as long, but I saw several when I lived in St Louis.

On the city's west side, Southwest Av turns into Columbia Av just east of the I-44 interchange. It continues two blocks to the east-southeast from the intersection of Clifton Av and Magnolia Av.

Mason Road takes a strange long block jump along Conway Road in West County.

In Sunset Hills, East Watson Road jumps about 1/3 mile at Lindbergh (US 50/61/67) before continuing west as West Watson Road. Confusing the matter, a newer road simply called Watson Road runs parallel about 1/3 mile north of East Watson Road. Both are former US 66 routings.

One of my favorite intersections in South County is just west of the I-55/Bayless Road interchange. Going south is Union Road. Going north from the crossroads is Union Road for about 1/6 mile until it veers off while the main traffic uses Morganford Rd. Going east is Bayless Rd. Going west is Weber Rd. Most strangely, about 2/3 mile north of the intersection, Weber Rd continues east. Not quite 3/4 mile, but close.

It's not quite the same, but Lemay Ferry Road still exists in South County. However, the first part of the road south of the Meramec River has disappeared into Arnold subdivisions. There is a gap of almost two miles before the road resumes as Old Lemay Ferry Road.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on April 03, 2019, 04:32:04 PM
Got it, thank you!

I wasn't even looking for a vertical gap. I assumed, as I believe most people did, that the OP meant a horizontal gap. Therefore, when I saw the Hall Rd in red, I scrolled for ages looking for the other half -- but only north and south, never once east or west.

Anyways, glad we got the horizontal vs vertical gap issue cleared up, because the two are completely different scenarios.

You're welcome. :)

It's the gap between the red and blue sections that OP is pointing out, and he's right in that it's unusual. As kphoger suggests, a different name probably should've been used for the red section.

Here's another odd gap between sections of a same-named street, SW 13th St, in Des Moines. It should've been that SW 12th is SW 13th, and the section of SW 13th St south of Amos Ave should've been designated SW 13th Place instead, as Places are used for intra-block street names in the west half of the city.

webny99

^ Sorry, yes, I knew he was talking about the gap between red and blue. Just realized I complicated it even more by reversing horizontal and vertical. Fixed.  :D

We had another thread recently about non-numbered routes that multiplex, which might be relevant to what the OP is looking for: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=23303.0
Essentially, if Hall Rd was numbered, with said number being posted on the segment of Vreeland, it would be a lot less unusual (obviously, in that case, the unusual thing would be the length of the route, not the multiplex!)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on April 03, 2019, 07:09:53 PM
^ Sorry, yes, I knew he was talking about the gap between red and blue. Just realized I complicated it even more by reversing horizontal and vertical. Fixed.  :D

That's why I mentioned it. Just wanted to be clear... :-D

Kulerage

Stuff like this is unfortunately common here in North Carolina. They just can't be bothered to rename road segments once they are no longer continuous.

Flint1979

I drove past this yesterday it is quite a gap and they are both called Hall Road.

Flint1979

One is close to I-75 and the other one is about 3/4 of a mile to the west.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on April 03, 2019, 04:14:58 PM
Oh boy, so I think the real problem is that those two roads shouldn't even have the same name.
Exactly

Flint1979

Another thing is that I'm not sure if it's so much in this part of the metro Detroit area but there is another Hall Road that is a major street part of M-59. But that's on the other side of the metro area about an hour apart.

bzakharin

There are roads that change names back and forth. Like NJ 27 is Lincoln Highway south of I-287 and then again leaving Metuchen and re-entering Edison. In between it's mostly Middlesex Ave (although that has a small gap of its own). If that counts, its more than a 2-mile "gap".

GaryV

How about the gap between Livernois in Ferndale and Livernois in Troy?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.