Does anyone draw BGSs of interchanges or maps of interchanges?

Started by SoCal Kid, May 05, 2019, 09:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Kid

I feel like im the only one who doodles random interchanges or draws BGSs
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

ErmineNotyours

In 1977 when Washington issued it's official State Highway Map, they had interchange diagrams for I-5 and I-90, but not I-405.  At 10 or 11 years old, I fixed that by drawing my own, but I did it all freehand, not even using a ruler.  I don't think I have it around any more.

SoCal Kid

My history notebook has two whole pages of doodles in the back, almost got caught by my teacher and/or classmates 3 times this year

TheHighwayMan3561

I did as a kid, but not anymore. A long time ago there was a very specific sign I wanted to see installed specifically somewhere on I-394, because it was my favorite route and it didn't have this sign and virtually every other freeway in the metro did. So I was forced to make my own. It still does not, though I did photoshop one as an adult.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kevinb1994

I've drawn maps (usually by hand) and I have used a free virtual sign assembly maker or two. Since Google released the beta for Google My Maps' custom maps tools, I've taken to drawing my own maps that way. Much easier when doing it via desktop/laptop than with Android/iOS.

webny99

I used to do this a lot, but not so much as I've gotten older. Probably ages 11 to 15 were when I did most and it's since fazed out to almost zero. I once used almost a whole pack of graph paper detailing 20+ miles of a theoretical interstate, complete with exits, signs and all. The use of graph paper -- as opposed to blank -- was thanks to my perfectionism; I'm pretty good at drawing freeways totally freehand, but I couldn't get one sign drawn to my standards on blank paper, much less an entire series to exact scale at different angles.

Naturally, I do think my handwriting should be the standard road sign font used by all state DOT's.  :)

webny99

On a different note, this thread is probably a better fit for the "road related illustrations" board.

OracleUsr

I did as a kid.  I last used Inkscape a few years back, but that's as close as I have gotten in recent years to drawing them.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Henry

When I was a kid, I would draw a detailed map of Chicago, and I made sure to include the many interesting interchanges that lined its expressways, including the Circle Interchange and Rapid-Fire ramps immediately north of it.

I drew some signs as well, but my main interest was of maps.

Quote from: webny99 on May 05, 2019, 09:55:39 PM
On a different note, this thread is probably a better fit for the "road related illustrations" board.
I agree, it should be moved there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SoCal Kid

Quote from: Henry on May 06, 2019, 10:07:19 AM
When I was a kid, I would draw a detailed map of Chicago, and I made sure to include the many interesting interchanges that lined its expressways, including the Circle Interchange and Rapid-Fire ramps immediately north of it.

I don't know how to move it there, Im still sort of new hehe

hotdogPi

Quote from: SoCal Kid on May 06, 2019, 07:00:55 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 06, 2019, 10:07:19 AM

I don't know how to move it there, Im still sort of new hehe

Only a mod can move it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

texaskdog

i confessed to my toastmasters club that my "doodling" is drawing highways on my page.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: texaskdog on May 06, 2019, 08:12:45 PM
i confessed to my toastmasters club that my "doodling" is drawing highways on my page.
Someone in my school calls my pages of highway doodles "graffiti"  :-|

And he thinks the California state route shield looks like green poop. Most non-road person Ive ever met

MCRoads

My teachers think I am a god, cause I doodle roads all class, and still pass my tests. Lol.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

ET21

Used to all the time, now I'll occasionally doodle them on my work calendar lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

J N Winkler

In the past I have used CorelDRAW with a script set to mock up signs as shown in sources such as construction plans and photo signing logs (some state DOTs, e.g. NCDOT, have online sign logs, but often they are prepared on an ad hoc basis as part of the design process for a sign replacement contract).  I tend not to make sign drawings for completely fictional interchanges.  A lot of this work is posted in the now-closed Road-related Illustrations thread.

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 07, 2019, 12:10:39 PM
I tend not to make sign drawings for completely fictional interchanges.

"Fictional", needless to say, can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I quite enjoy creating sign drawings for future - or cancelled - road projects. The NY 531 expressway and an extension of I-990 to Lockport are some of many corridors for which I've experimented with signage. But as far as signs with fictional cities and route numbers and no potential for real-world application, I steer away from that as well. I like to think that anything I draw might actually be posted someday, and usually have a pretty good idea of what context and location it could be posted in.

kphoger

Quote from: SoCal Kid on May 07, 2019, 12:23:34 AM
And he thinks the California state route shield looks like green poop. Most non-road person Ive ever met

If the fellow has even considered the aesthetics of a state highway shield at all, then I'm sure I've met people who are more non-road than that!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

I drew this interchange from memory while bored on a recent flight:

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.