News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by kalvado - Today at 04:07:32 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on Today at 02:14:02 PM- 50c the problem with the 50 cent piece is that people, wrongly, think they are collectable, and they don't circulate.  As long as the generation that includes the Cult of Kennedy is alive, that won't change, no matter the shape or size of the coin.  Take him off if you want the coin to move.

- The world has pretty much agreed that no bills worth more than about US$100 should exist.  Crime fighting, supposedly.  Of course, there will come a day, with inflation currently in explosion mode, when $100 is so small as to be impractical as the largest bill, but that is some time from now.

There are about 6 quarters and 9 dimes per person in US minted in 2016 (just found data for that year). There is about 1 half-dollar per 100 people minted same year.

Yes, $100 and 200 euro ($212 right now) - 500 euro is no longer being printed. 

Quote from: mgk920 on Today at 02:28:36 PMA sizable number of locals here are (legal) immigrants from places where a serious level of distrust of banks is in their culture, so for them, coins and banknotes are a fact of life.  Also, then the power goes out or the system goes down either from a natural cause or worse.
When the power is off, so are many ways of spending money. If there are ways of sending money via phone interface (think Venmo), power requirement is significantly lower. And if you're talking civilization collapse, cash may have limited value  anyway.

Psychological barriers to banking, though, are understandable. Moreso with... what's the latest politically correct wording for illegal immigrants?
Reducing entry threshold for bank use  may be part of the deal...
Mountain West / Re: Colorado
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 04:02:31 PM
I was just down on CO83 and CO21 two weeks ago and definitely didn't see anything. I also intersected CO105 on I-25, and that looked "normal" too.
Mountain West / Re: Colorado
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 03:51:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 11:32:59 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 15, 2024, 11:42:02 PMLooks like the state highway shield got a redesign. I personally don't like it much standalone, but I've seen it on BGS plans and I really like it there.

I have not seen this in the wild at all.
According to J N Winkler, they've been on trial in CDOT Region 2 (Colorado Springs) since 2019.
Off-Topic / Second Chance to See the Piano...
Last post by Henry - Today at 03:44:42 PM
On Sunday, CBS had its Heidi moment when it switched from Billy Joel's 100th show at Madison Square Garden to the local news because of its late start that resulted from the Masters going overtime. But fear not, you will get to see the full concert on Friday night, per this notice that should be of comfort to his fans. (Same goes for those who missed it the first time, too.)
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by MASTERNC - Today at 03:32:18 PM
Hasn't been well publicized but the Governor did sign legislation that increases work zone speed camera fines.  Looks like they will start at $60 and go up based on speed.  They can still fine when there is no work, but the fines are doubled when workers are present (looks like the legislation requires flashing signage similar to PA to signal activity).  Better than a flat $250-290 that could be assessed at any time.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Delaware
Last post by MASTERNC - Today at 03:30:46 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on Today at 02:23:31 PMSpeed cameras are coming to the I-95 / SR 896 work zone. (Newark Post - free to read with login)

I can't say I'm surprised they're resorting to this. The recent speed limit drop to 55 in the work zone has been roundly ignored, and as much as I don't like the technology it seemed to make a difference in the Wilmington Viaduct work zone.

Only wish they didn't add on all the "moving violation" fees to those tickets.  Heck, they even add those to E-ZPass violations.
Off-Topic / Re: Layoffs at Tesla
Last post by bing101 - Today at 03:30:21 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on Today at 02:02:24 AMIt appears there's about 140k employees with Tesla. They did a round of layoff in 2022 also. At the end of 2021 Tesla employed about 100k, and quickly grew after that, including after those layoffs.

It should be noted that other large US car manufacturers have announced layoffs recently also.
Agreed too. Only difference here is that Elon Musk hogs the spotlight. 

Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by Henry - Today at 03:22:29 PM
AZ 95:

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Alex - Today at 03:16:15 PM
Wow, seeing is believing... The most recent pass of the Sentinel 2 remote sensing satellite on April 14 reveals the extent of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse:

Southeast / Re: NC: The proposed I-685
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 03:00:23 PM
The real challenge to converting US 421 into Interstate 685 will be the Sanford-to-Dunn segment. All of it would have to be built on a new alignment, since I doubt any of the existing US 421 alignment can be upgraded to Interstate Standards. The Sanford-to-Dunn segment will likely be the last segment of future Interstate 685 to be constructed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.